Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 02:46 PM

914 posts, read 737,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
the silicone gel litter is by far the best- the urine gets sucked up into the little beads (you can stick your hand in the litter and its bone dry)- I started using it when we had 5 cats- its great- you pick out the poops and only change the litter once a month to 6 weeks (you can get away with that)- thats why even though its pricey its cost efficient.

I used to use the Petco store brand but it comes in Fresh Step crystals as well--

https://www.chewy.com/fresh-step-cry...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

PS because its dry plastic crystals usually I start off putting little of the old litter on top til the cat gets used to using it- its great stuff- you won't go back to the regular stuff
Agree 100%. I started off with silicone gel litter but then switched to clay litter (tried clumping and non-clumping as well as different brands) because I kept reading that it lasts so much longer. Nope, I often had to change the whole litter tray after a couple of days, would often not even last a week... Back to gel litter and SOOO much happier
The brand I'm using is unscented but I don't get any unpleasant poop or pee smells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 04:59 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
There are lots of unscented litters. Arm and Hammer, Precious Cat, and pet stores all make unscented litters. I don't notice any odors, nor do I have to change the litter a lot, as long as I scoop daily.

Fresh Step clay litter I think is the nastiest stuff ever, even if it's unscented. It's dusty and dirty. The rescue I volunteer with uses it with our fosters and in the pet stores. Blech.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:29 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
Always buy unscented. The chemicals are hard on the cats nose and get in their system thru paw washing.
Super Scoop Brand was the best. But can.t find it anymore.
I now prefer Tidy Cat Unscented but now they are partnered with Glade and throwing kinds of perfume in it. I abhor Glade products. Hard to find Tidy Cat unscented clumping litter anywhere and I live in a metro area.
Crystals are hard on their paws! I used Litter Pearls which were round but left the pee in a puddle on the bottom of the box, plus it was expensive.
Fresh Step worked well but very very heavily scented. So I stick with Tidy Cat Clumping (non lightweight) Unscented. If you find it, try it.
Arm and Hammer worked well too but it is very sandy and would cake into kitty.s paws.
The newspaper and corn stuff stinks the house to high heaven, as well as the cheapo brands.
Off my soapbox...!

Old 10-26-2016, 06:29 PM

5 posts, read 3,480 times
The only unscented litters my finicky cat and I can tolerate are the Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat and the Target brand unscented litter. WalMart used to have an inexpensive unscented that I liked, but I haven't found it recently. The Target brand has the consistency of sand, and my cats seem to really love it best. It's also pretty cheap. Both track, but I find the finer litter less annoying for some reason.

For a little guy, though, you might want to start with a natural litter like Swheat Scoop, World's Best or Yesterday's news especially if you've ever seen him eat it. I usually try to stay away from clumping clay litter when they're babies until I'm pretty sure they aren't eating it.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:33 PM

1,227 posts, read 633,459 times
Thank you everyone for your help.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:00 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
I use Paws and Claws from my local Tractor Supply store. It's phenomenal. It has zero odor.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:09 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I like Dr. Elsey's due to very low dust. My cat started sneezing when he got older, and I realized it was from the dust in the litter.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:17 PM

473 posts, read 502,346 times
Would recommend you try the old granular kind of kitty litter, maybe mixed with some generic clumping litter. I just keep scooping the solids. A newspaper on bottom of pan does nice job reducing smells too. Is VERY helpful to use cat box liners as is almost impossible to get the cat box fully empty of grit before you wash it and causes clogging on toilet or bathtub drain. I just lift out the cat box liner, place in store plastic bag and dispose of it. I like washing box with a little pinesol and hot water every couple months. My cat doesn't mind the smell....If you try any ammonia or cleaning stuff with strong chemical smell, cat may abandon the litter box. Hope this helps....

Old 10-27-2016, 06:24 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Yes, the Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat is the one I referred to, but didn't include the "Doctor" part. It's a good litter. I've used World's Best. It reminds me of wet cereal after it's used.

Dr. Elsey's in the blue box, to me also, is by far the best I've found. No odors, no tracking, no dust.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:56 PM

730 posts, read 1,314,387 times
Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract

We have two male Maine Coon cats (big ones), one jumbo litter box and no smell ever and no dust. I'd not use anything else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats