Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 04:01 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,585,635 times

Advertisements

George is about 10 weeks old now, and I've had him a little over 4 weeks.

Normal routine is to get up with him around 4:00 am so that he has some interaction before I leave for the day. I'm playing with him on and off while getting ready for work.

He loves chasing the Da Bird and Cat Chaser wand toys. I'll stop for a little, and he keeps playing on his own, and eventually starts attacking my legs (scratching/biting). That's normal, he wants me to play with him again.

Also, just fed him again for the 3rd time (very small portions, as he's been a picky eater lately). And all of a sudden he stands at my feet and wants to snuggle (awesome). He nustles at my shirt for a solid 3 minutes, like he's nursing with his mom. I wish he'd be like this whenever I picked him up.

BUT, there is no way that I can pick him up during play time.......he'll scratch and bite my arm. That's what's frustrating. Any thoughts on that????? Have any of you found this common???

ps- Even the vet said that he's a feisty one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 05:02 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,358,388 times
This is quite normal. As you can see, playtime is for playing and snuggletime is for snuggling.

Similarly, if George was angry or annoyed, that wouldn't be a good time to pick him up and snuggle him either

It's important to be able to assess his energy to determine which mode or mood George is in

Old 08-12-2017, 06:50 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,702,253 times
I think that he needs more playtime. Are you playing with him when you get home as well? For how long? Generally speaking, you want to play with him until he's had enough, which he will communicate by settling and/or grooming himself. When he is attacking you, he is communicating that you haven't played with him long enough.

I know that you probably don't have a lot of time in the mornings (and kudos to you for playing with him at all) but I think that he needs your undivided attention when you play with him. I think 15 minutes of playtime--and just playtime--should result in noticeably different behavior.

You really want to discourage the leg attacks, especially if this is something he is now doing all of the time. Such behavior won't be so cute when he is older.

And scratching/biting when you pick him up during playtime is normal, and you really shouldn't do it. If you want to pick him up, you need to let him settle first. If/When he bites or scratches, immediately redirect him to a toy.

I would also try a larger variety of toys, such as a laser pointer, crinkle bag, fake mice, balls, etc. You might even combine them to really wear him out.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:38 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
He needs a stuffed animal type toy about his size. You teach him that the stuffed toy is for biting and kicking, not your arms and legs. When he goes for you, you give him the stuffed toy instead. Some kittens like a rolled up newspaper too. You can have two choices for him.

It's not 'aggression'. It's normal kitten behavior as he learns how to 'hunt'. Kittens learn, with their litter mates and mama, how not to bite and kick each other. He didn't get that socialization from them, so he has to learn from you.

Most kittens and cats do not like being picked up, that is normal. Of course you want to be able to handle George, it's very important that he trusts you, because you never know when he wil need medicating, and of course you are going to need to trim his claws. So him learning to accept handling is important. But you have to choose your times.

While he's all wound up with play is not the best time to pick him up. Work it into the routine at other times. When you first get up in the morning maybe, and when you first come home from work. Right before meal times. Right before the play session. Pick him up, kiss him on the head, put him down and go on to the next thing, just treating it like a normal part of the day.

Have that stuffed toy handy. When he grabs at you during the pick up, or right after, stick that toy in his paws. (Also use it during play time, when he goes for you instead of the wand or whatever, stick that toy in between his paws.)

As time goes on and he matures, and gets used to it, pick him up, hold him close to you for a second then put him down.

Also, you may want to get him used to the 'holding position' that makes medicating easy. Kneel on the floor, cross your legs behind you. Hold him between your knees facing out. Give him a treat, release him.

After he is used to that, next step when you have him in that position is getting him used to having his paws handled, so you can trim his claws. Get in position, take one of his little paws, gently press it to extend the claws. Give a treat, release. And so on, slowly working toward him allowing all this to happen.

Does he have scratching/climbing furniture?

Old 08-12-2017, 08:47 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,358,388 times
Are there other cats around for him to play with? If not, you could always get another kitten

Old 08-12-2017, 12:59 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,383,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
Are there other cats around for him to play with? If not, you could always get another kitten
You beat me to it, noodlecat. George (and you, OP) would benefit greatly from having a playmate roughly his own age. He would be burning some of that energy with kitten play fights, and would have a companion for those hours when you're away. He'll also learn things from another kitten, that would be difficult for you to teach him. It's something I hope you'll consider. We like to say "2 kittens are better than 1", but there is some serious truth to that.
In the meantime, StarlaJane & Catsmom have given excellent advice for playing/training George. Learn to read his body language & mood before handling him, and don't let him see your hands/feet/legs as cat toys.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:41 PM

814 posts, read 760,819 times
Now you see why I got another kitten?

Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM

30,545 posts, read 16,240,407 times
don't forget, it's the feistiness that helped him survive. To him, it's a good thing.

In another 10 or 15 yrs, you'll remember it fondly.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:31 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times
It's pretty normal for a kitten that age to be really feisty.

That said, maybe it's the way you pick the cat up? There are ways that are good to pick up a cat, and ways that are not so good. Whenever I pick up my cat I always first put my right hand beneath her hind paws and then my left hand beneath her front paws. That way she's sort-of "standing" on my hands and it seems pretty comfortable for her. She doesn't mind being picked up, and I think it's because of the way I pick her up.

Might be a bit harder to do with a kitten, but you might want to give it a try anyway.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:38 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,193,250 times
Yep, what cats mom says.

They can be totally crazy at this age and attack anything. Don't ever encourage biting hand, do not play directly with hands, always use some kind of object for them to attack. My cats favorite toy was a old tube sock stuffed with crumpled paper or whatever and catnip and tie end, stuffed animals work well also to work off this aggression. She would grab it with both front paws and scratch at it with back paws and bite it. Don't let George think it's OK to bite and scratch you this is the time they learn basic training. Say no loudly when he bites and use toy to redirect his play aggression.

Now let's talk claws. It may be OK for a bit to scratch on furniture and they will if they have nothing else. They have to scratch to remove old claws. When they get older they can shred your furniture. Learn how to clip claws, ask vet tech to show you and start young so they get used to it.

Get a few different scratching posts choices. Some like the corrugated cardboard, some carpet (not best choice but OK) sisal rope wrapped (what I have) some ia natural wood trunk from trees(messy but OK) They should be sturdy and not tip lay flat on floor or uprights best to have an angle, not upright. I have trained my cats with treats to use scratching post, they really caught on quick. Only gets treat when scratches on post. When caught scratching on furniture pick him up place paws on post and make motion praise and give treat. My cats quickly learned this is the only way to get treats and lure and make us follow them to post to scratch and get treats. I used double sided tape from hardware store and safety pinned on heavy cleat plastic on desirable spots on furniture to discourage, occasionally loud noise and squirt from water bottles.

I had someone handy make our scratching post and have to replace rope once a year because it's gets absolutely shredded. I will try to take pictures of and add, not great at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats