Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 02:31 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,987 times

Advertisements

My cat has me over a barrel. I'm not kidding. He runs the show, and I just live here with him. I am not trying to be a dictator or prove how dominant I am. I don't want to be a disciplinarian, but he knows this. He meows incessantly to go out at late hours of the night. I know his pussycat brain has some semblance of a routine and can decipher night from day. Still, he sweats me. I take out Mr. Broom, and shake it at him, but he knows Mr. Broom is harmless. How can I make him understand he cannot go out after 10pm? Like I said, I'm not trying to be Beastmaster, I'm just trying to assert myself. Laugh if you want, but animals remember cruelty, and punitive actions, and distance themselves from the people who inflict punishments upon them. Besides, I couldn't act like a hateful, punisher anyway. I love my babes. BTW, he's a tabby with wanderlust. He likes to roam around. HELP! Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 03:51 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
I don't understand the problem. Just don't let him out after dark. Turn out the light, put ear plugs in and go to bed. He'll get the message.

I am assuming he is neutered.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:12 AM

You don't understand tabbies. They are Viking pussycats, and used to sail on pirate ships with the Norse.
Tabbies grow despondent if denied access to the outdoors. The meowing goes on for two hours sometimes. I know I'm indulgent and "soft" and probably an oddball to most. Oh well. The thing is, I want to re-direct him, but don't know how. Just denying him makes me feel mean and unyielding, and ****ty. Not pleasant vibes.
I'm not a rigid person. I'm like empathic.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:28 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
I've had tabby patterned cats all my life. None of them have ever gone outside. They've all been perfectly happy indoor cats.

I provide them with all they need in the way of physical and mental stimulation, and a species appropriate diet.

Since you want redirection ideas, distract him with play. It seemed too obvious to suggest that so I didn't. Play with your cat regularly, several times a day.

Provide him with adequate places to scratch, jump and climb. Feed him a wet or raw diet.

You let him out during the day, that should be enough. Pay attention to him at night, feed him a final wet meal, maybe put a little Rescue Remedy in it to help him relax, and go to bed.

Neuter him, if he is not. You didn't answer that question.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:59 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,702,253 times
I think that redirecting him is a good idea.

I would first establish a routine where you ask him to come in at a specific time every evening. Then, after he comes in, give him a treat or something to eat and/or play with him to wear him out.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:31 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
Not being neutered would be my first guess. If he's neutered then maybe there's another cat outside the window somewhere and he can smell it. My cat is a spayed female and she meows by the window if a cat is outside in our yard. When the cat goes away she stops.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:34 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
my tabbie girl has ALWAYS been an indoor kitty and doesn't even like to go out on the deck..... It CAN be done.....

and yes, if he is not neutered, do so immediately..... it will help with the "wanderlust."

Old 08-21-2017, 09:35 AM

Thank you Starla Jane. I'm going to look into clickers too (maybe). Maxi is smart and savvy. He is not your average pussycat. He is stubborn and single-minded and tireless in his insistence to go out. .
People, I am with him all day, playing with him. He is the center of my universe. I think maybe he might be (excuse the profanity) an "attention *****". He can't get enough.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:48 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,702,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
Thank you Starla Jane. I'm going to look into clickers too (maybe). Maxi is smart and savvy. He is not your average pussycat. He is stubborn and single-minded and tireless in his insistence to go out. .
People, I am with him all day, playing with him. He is the center of my universe. I think maybe he might be (excuse the profanity) an "attention *****". He can't get enough.
Well, once they go out, they establish a territory and, then, feel the need to consistently prowl/defend their territory. Not to mention the fact that cats are nocturnal by nature, so the desire to go out at night is potent.

And, yes, they will cry. And cry. And, then, cry some more to go out.

Nevertheless, as I said in my previous post, you can, essentially, train your cat to stop the crying by establishing a routine.

I am sure that you play with him a lot during the day--great job! However, I would make sure that you not just play with him in the evenings but wear him out before going to bed.

You might also try some Feliway to calm him.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:09 PM

2,572 posts, read 1,647,066 times
Is he neutered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats