Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:57 PM

436 posts, read 578,631 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for the tips so far. I put in some new Amazon orders and now I am second guessing using scissors to cut the worst mats due to the warning story posted. I used some scissors with very rounded ends but cats do get squirmy. I think I could use the clippers on her because she doesn't freak out when I blow dry my hair and will come close so I can blow air in her face.

It is hard for me to know sometimes she is getting tangled and matted because regular petting or stroking will not reveal a trouble spot because of the thickness of her coat. I have to ruffle her hair up to find the mats or maybe catch her over grooming a particular spot. I am trying really hard to stay on top of it. It seems to happen mostly from her mid-section back, especially her haunches. She has so much fur when I cut her mats out you can't even tell any hair is missing, I would prefer however not to have to clip them out and stay on top of her grooming!

She is a precious little creature saved from the outdoors and she deserves the best care I can give her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 07:51 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I ordered all of my grooming supplies from eBay. I have a box full of them, and alternate using them. Snickers has medium long, fine hair, and he gets little mats, and also hates to be combed. So we came to a compromise - I trim the hair on his belly, behind his legs (feathers), underneath his arms, and his butt. That takes care of that, and when he gets matted anywhere else, I just comb it out, and he doesn't object.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:34 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Would she tolerate a professional grooming once a month, and you could take care of all the "in-between" grooming? Just thinking out loud here. Sorry if I scared you with my scissors story, but it horrified me. I had used safety scissors like that for years, right up until I cut my precious girl. When I called the vet, in a panic and sobbing, the receptionist told me "It happens more than you would think". The vet tech and the vet herself said the same thing.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Would she tolerate a professional grooming once a month, and you could take care of all the "in-between" grooming? Just thinking out loud here. Sorry if I scared you with my scissors story, but it horrified me. I had used safety scissors like that for years, right up until I cut my precious girl. When I called the vet, in a panic and sobbing, the receptionist told me "It happens more than you would think". The vet tech and the vet herself said the same thing.
I think crating her and taking her to the groomer once a month would be too traumatic on her. I am going to work hard on getting her tangle free and hopefully staying on top of it. Even after a year after being rescued she is a very cautious and wary girl. She will look all around her to make sure no one is going to get her when she takes a drink or eats. My other cats who were rescued as kittens and not as a Mother cat with kittens don't care who is around or what is going on when they eat or drink.

I took her to the Vet once when she had a tummy ache and she was crouched in the crate the entire time even though I tried to hold her or let her out. She kept running back in the crate. The Vet had to lift her little curled up body out to examine her, she was terrified. My other cats at the Vet are like oh hey there and then wander all around the examine room.

I appreciate the scissors story and other stories. That is the kind of stuff I was looking for because this long haired stuff is all new to me and I am learning as I go.

Last edited by RedTexanTea; 11-08-2016 at 04:48 PM..

Old 11-08-2016, 04:40 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Beautiful cat. Fluffy cats are my favorite!

As the owner of a long-haired cat (who passed away at age 20 earlier this year), I would advise to work on getting her acclimated to being brushed. While you are petting, give her a few strokes with the brush, then praise, more petting, and put the brush away. Doing this frequently will cause her to begin to associate the brushing with positive feelings.

As cats get older, they tend to start getting oilier skin. I had my cat from the time he was eight weeks old until he was 20yo. I think I began taking him for a once-a-year grooming when he was maybe 8-10 years old. As the years went on, I gradually increased it to 2x a year, then 4x a year, etc. Eventually I could not afford to take him in that often, so I would give him baths at home, and then take him to the groomer 1-2x per year.

By the time he was 18/19 - his fur would be completely greasy within 2-3 weeks after a shampoo. When he was much younger, it would take a full year to get to that point.

I was fortunate that he was a very docile cat from day one, and became acclimated to brushing as a kitten. Throughout his life, the groomers would tell me that he would purr while getting blown dry. Not so much during the shampoo, but he would not bite or scratch during that.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:01 PM

I got the Furminator, my kitty will sit still while I use it on her and even purrs. It is helping a lot. I guess the wide tooth comb pulled too much for her. Things are a lot better in the Miss Princess Pretty Kitty home today.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:10 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,141 times
Take her to a groomer who will groom her: have her fur shaved down. It looks so cute and can last for up to 5 months. I did it with my Norwegian Forest Cat because hw was constantly grooming and seemed miserable in summer. He loved it! Problem solved 2x per year. Cost $20.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:26 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
I got the Furminator, my kitty will sit still while I use it on her and even purrs. It is helping a lot. I guess the wide tooth comb pulled too much for her. Things are a lot better in the Miss Princess Pretty Kitty home today.
Very good sign that she purrs! And I'm sure you are telling her just how perfect and special she is the whole time you are grooming her.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:29 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Very good sign that she purrs! And I'm sure you are telling her just how perfect and special she is the whole time you are grooming her.
Probably so, but it's not a sure thing. Some cats (if not all) also purr when they are stressed or uncomfortable about something.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:21 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Yesterday a grooming glove arrived. Bristles have coated tips like hairbrushes. A total success.
Some groomers make house house calls. Maybe your vet can recommend someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats