Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 06:52 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,242,214 times

Advertisements

I too am a cat lover- we have 3- Well, we had 3. We adopted 2 from a shelter when they were around 2, and my husband bought me a kitten for our anniversary. Jack, our orange adopted tabby, was VERY abused. He eventually took a strong liking to me only. He snuggled, slept with me, and only allowed me to pet him (this after about 2 years!) All the kitties got along well. However, when my daughter began to crawl, she too loved the kitties and wanted nothing more than to snuggle. Our Jacky boy didnt care for her quick movements though and hid from her all the time, he'd come out when she went to bed. She found him one day, hiding behind the curtains when I wasn't giving her my full attention and he swatted at her, claws and all. He gave her a little scratch on her face- but luckily nothing too serious. We contemplated having them all declawed, but I just couldn't do it- They are not outdoor cats, I just have this thing about declawing I guess. Its a very sensitive issue for me. Well all in all, we had to give Jack up. I put a posting on an a site similar to this with my employer. I found the perfect home for him but cried like a little girl when he left. 2 years later, I keep in touch with his new mommy, and even send petsmart cards for christmas. However, I feel tremendously guilty saying I shouldve declawed him if I really loved him..I miss him so much, I can still here him calling "mmaaa maaaa", and feel his nose rubbing against my fingers. Everytime I see an orange tabby i want to cry. I am too attached to my animals! Please offer me some comfort!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:07 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,943,251 times
Awww - I feel your pain! I had a similar situation with a puppy recently. I loved him tremendously, but my 5 year old was terrified of him after a playful jump left my son on the floor and scratched from his hairline -down his face, arm and chest. This particular puppy was taken from his mother way too early - he wasn't responding to any kind of training, but I loved him. A lot. After a little while of my son being terrified and trying to work with both of them, I just couldn't put my son through it anymore. This was about a month ago, and I miss him so much.

We also have 2 cats, and I am with you on declawing. We have one cat that we didn't have a choice but to declaw her because she was trying to kill us all the time, lol. But we felt bad. And our other, is a crazy lunatic nutcase climbing up the curtains and such, but has NEVER pulled his claws out for any other reason. I won't declaw him. I just keep home that as he gets older, he'll stop climbing. Until then - I have holy curtains!

You'll be ok. And you made the right decision for you and your family. Don't feel so guilty. I know how hard it is, but remember what a nice family he has now. You still get to talk to his "new" mommy and so on - so you know he's ok.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:52 AM

41,744 posts, read 74,721,167 times
I'm sorry you had to give up your cat. Be happy that you found him a good home.

Some pets just don't take well to new humans in the mix. And when that new human is a curious toddler, you can't be too careful.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:01 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,994,883 times
I had to give up my cats after Katrina. My Mother had a trailer and we were living in a tent. We'd had those cats for 13 years, but it took 7 months before we were able to take them back. By that time Mimi and Spidey were attached to their Grammy and had settled in. I did not have the heart to take them back. It would have upset them and their Grammy. So I did what was best for them. You did what was best for your Jacky; it's painful, (I cry about it too), but you gave him the best option for his well being. That is being the best Cat Mom you can be. You did good Mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats