Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 12:42 PM

564 posts, read 1,041,612 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Dude111. All of us here who have experienced losing our furry friends know how painful this all is. It is sad that some people don't understand our pain. They feel like heck, it's just a dog or a cat. It's not. These lovely creatures of ours are there for us every day, happy to see us, accept us at our worst , provide us comfort and show us more loyalty than some people do. We love them like family and so when we have to make difficult decisions, it tears us apart, doesn't it? We here are all here for each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 01:22 PM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
Definitely talk to the vet, but it sounds like your cat is just old. It's hard to say but if he is in no pain or not sick, I would just let him live out his days any way he wants to.

We had a dog that I'd had for close to 15 years. I could not bear to let go of him and let him hang on for about 6 months longer than I should have. He was sick and I was being selfish, but it was too much for me to let him go.

Our next dog lived to be 13. He got very sick and while it wasn't any easier, we let him go because we did not want him to suffer.

No matter what you do, you will always second-guess yourself at first, wondering if there was more you could have done. Over time you will realize that it was the right decision and one that every pet owner ultimately has to make. It's always a tough decision to make, but it's one you have to make when the time comes out of love of your pet.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:35 PM

372 posts, read 521,661 times
My sister and I both lost our cats within two weeks of each other this past Spring. My Calico, who was around fifteen years old (she came to us from a neighbor whose Pit Bulls ran her off), stopped eating in early May. She was full of tumors and in the final stage of Lymphoma. She died May 31st. Fast forward ten days later, and my sister's eleven-year-old cat (also a Calico), starts having difficulty breathing and dies two days later. They are buried next to each other along with five other dogs and cats we have lost since 2007

Old 11-15-2016, 07:56 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Im so sorry Gerry and Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc
Thank you, Dude111. All of us here who have experienced losing our furry friends know how painful this all is. It is sad that some people don't understand our pain. They feel like heck, it's just a dog or a cat. It's not. These lovely creatures of ours are there for us every day, happy to see us, accept us at our worst , provide us comfort and show us more loyalty than some people do. We love them like family and so when we have to make difficult decisions, it tears us apart, doesn't it? We here are all here for each other.
Yea honey I know....... Its good we can come together on city-data and show love to each other,thats important!!

Old 11-16-2016, 12:12 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
I was just talking about this with a friend.

Here are some other signs a cat is not doing well can be....when a cat is craving sitting and sleeping by any lower level air intake which the cat never bothered with before, the area in front of the intake being colder, which means the cat is hot.

Also, when a cat lays in the litter box. Turns out the litter is cool. And kitty is too hot in a room where the temp used to be perfect for him.

Check out his breathing. I think the rate is from 20-30 a minute. What you'll note is how much fewer the breathes get as he is coming to his last days.

Some cats want to be alone at this time. Some don't mind when you come with them into their hiding place. They can find peace in knowing you are around.

When our last one was coming to his end, he still loved when I carried him outside.

If you euthanize him, go with him and try to keep tears for afterwards. Just cuddle him and love him. All he knows is you are there and happy with him.

FYI, the vet usually gives two shots to euthanize. First one to relax. Be prepared that the first one may do the job altogether in a weak cat or at least put him out. The second shot comes quickly afterwards. So say what you want to him before that first shot.

You might get phone numbers handy for, say, an all night vet in case you feel the need for one at night if you haven't it yet.

Very sorry.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:34 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im so sorry Gerry and Camaro
Thanks, but it's been a while now. Sure, you miss your old buddies but we now have a wild and energetic 2 1/2 year old Boston Terrier. Spoiled rotten, I may add, but that's okay.

I cherish him every day and he gets a lot of attention. Their lives are too short and I want him to enjoy his years as best as he can while he's young. When they get older, you just have to give them the best care you can.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:33 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,721,910 times
Thanks for the info about the two shots... I honestly had no idea.

OK I guess I have another question. How do you hold it together at the vet? I'm sure they're trained to deal with tough situations like that, but do you think it's best to have someone else with you that might be able to do all the paperwork or pay beforehand?

Old 11-16-2016, 04:45 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Thanks for the info about the two shots... I honestly had no idea.

OK I guess I have another question. How do you hold it together at the vet? I'm sure they're trained to deal with tough situations like that, but do you think it's best to have someone else with you that might be able to do all the paperwork or pay beforehand?
Hi Nancy,

Yes take someone to help w/ you. I did in '08 when holding our lil furry boy (he was still kind of young at just about 8) as he took his last breath & kicked his hind leg. The vet said it took 2 shots, & a slight kickout at the end was his last reflex. I cried so hard couldn't drive home & had pull over to compose me. But it is so hard to advise on how you'll do. My g/f helped alot, though very shaken too, as we petted him for last time & spent time alone w/ him prior to vet coming into room. It still haunts me today & a reason I'm so picky re health of any pet. Ok, unsure this helps but we're all here for you.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:50 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,165 times
5 lbs is so skinny. I imagine being that skinny is painful in itself.

I had an aging cat that was eating a ton and still losing weight. I think she went down that far too. It was like having a skeleton with fur. She was nearly blind and deaf. Then she got a bladder infection, and the idea of tackling her 3x/day to force feed her liquid antibiotics was unbearable, as was the notion of letting her suffer and die from an infection, so I helped her along.

Quality of life is something to consider. There are quality of life scales available online for pets. I used them to determine when it was time.

It was harder for me to do the kinder thing, but it was the right thing to do.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:10 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5
Thanks, but it's been a while now. Sure, you miss your old buddies but we now have a wild and energetic 2 1/2 year old Boston Terrier. Spoiled rotten, I may add, but that's okay.
Ahhhhh Im glad ya got someone to make ya happy

Peace and love to ya my friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats