Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 01:45 PM

486 posts, read 2,112,479 times

Advertisements

I've written on this board before and everyone has been so helpful. So I am reaching out again.

Cali is a 5 month old female. Bella is a 7 year old female. Milo is an 9 year old male.

Cali and Milo get along great. They play together and nap together. When she is being a playful pain in the butt, he puts her in her place.

Bella didn't take to well to her yet. If we are in the kitchen and Bella comes into the room, Cali will go after her and chase her away. Cali has even smacked at her. Bella just runs away. I try to stop Cali as soon as I see her going for Bella and give a firm NO.

Why would a kitten be like this towards my older cat?

I did have her separated from them when I got her, she had her own room. Kept her there for about a week.
Bella and Milo would sniff under the door and hiss at Cali. When it got time to introduce them, I did it with wet food and fed them all together. I still feed them wet food together and during eating time it is fine. But while getting the food ready is another story.

Will Cali calm down eventually?
Attached Thumbnails
Female kitten aggressive to older female cat-img_2508.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 08:33 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
I've written on this board before and everyone has been so helpful. So I am reaching out again.

Cali is a 5 month old female. Bella is a 7 year old female. Milo is an 9 year old male.

Cali and Milo get along great. They play together and nap together. When she is being a playful pain in the butt, he puts her in her place.

Bella didn't take to well to her yet. If we are in the kitchen and Bella comes into the room, Cali will go after her and chase her away. Cali has even smacked at her. Bella just runs away. I try to stop Cali as soon as I see her going for Bella and give a firm NO.

Why would a kitten be like this towards my older cat?

I did have her separated from them when I got her, she had her own room. Kept her there for about a week.
Bella and Milo would sniff under the door and hiss at Cali. When it got time to introduce them, I did it with wet food and fed them all together. I still feed them wet food together and during eating time it is fine. But while getting the food ready is another story.

Will Cali calm down eventually?
Maybe, and maybe not. A lot depends on Bella's confidence and willingness to stand up for herself. If she doesn't, she will likely have to put up with Cali's bullying the rest of her life. Cali may lose some of that aggressiveness as she ages, but she still might pick on Bella occasionally, as she considers her weaker and submissive. There's not a lot you can do to make Bella stand her ground. It's something she has to learn to do herself.
I've always had multiple cats (7 at one time with 5 females), and none of the girls ever got along. They were always possessive over their territory/space and humans. One of them, Sheba, is like your Bella and easily bullied. She would run rather than fight for herself. It was a problem for us humans and we tried to stay out of it so she wouldn't rely on us for protection. We only intervened if things got serious.
Sheba is almost 12 now, and living with only 2 other females. Things have gotten much better in the past 2 years or so, as she sticks up for her space a lot better. But she still avoids the others most of the time.
I wish I could give some positive advice, but if Bella has a shy & submissive temperament there may not be much you can do.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:59 PM

486 posts, read 2,112,479 times
Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, Bella is a very shy one. And I noticed that I am Cali's human and if the other cats are giving me attention or vice versa she comes over and shoo's them away.

I thought by getting a female kitten it would have been better coming from having two males in the past that always fought.

Guess girls are just as bad.

I'm happy to hear your girls settled down. Maybe in time my Cali will calm down or Bella will grow a pair! hahaha.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:30 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, Bella is a very shy one. And I noticed that I am Cali's human and if the other cats are giving me attention or vice versa she comes over and shoo's them away.

I thought by getting a female kitten it would have been better coming from having two males in the past that always fought.

Guess girls are just as bad.

I'm happy to hear your girls settled down. Maybe in time my Cali will calm down or Bella will grow a pair! hahaha.
Females can be just as bad, if not worse. That's not a blanket statement for all cats, of course, just my personal experience. The 2 males we had at one time were both very easy going and laid back, and never fought over anything. Couldn't say about the girls.

Anyway, Cali may mellow as she gets a bit older. My girl Gypsy (is like your Cali) has, and isn't pestering Sheba nearly as much as she used to. Hopefully your girl will too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats