Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 06:56 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times

Advertisements

[quote=jencam;47154096]Proplan is a waste of money. You could find an actual better food if you're able to spend more. Same for dry brands like Purina One Beyond. Sure, it's the best that PURINA offers, but still not a good for per dollar. Better brands can be bought for less.

Thank you for your post , but she is 17 yrs. old. It's not a matter of money spent on wet food, my vet has no problem with the small cans of ProPlan and he's been her vet for 15 yrs -- it's a matter of what she will eat at this point. I don't care what the 'best' dry food is that Purina offers, because she has never in her life had dry food which are full of chemicals and salt. She gets no 'treats' other than white meat chicken bits. She gets plenty of water in her food and eats at least 2-1/2 cans of food per day. When people see her, they cannot believe she is 17, silky shiny coat, clear eyes, good teeth and all of them , healthy mouth etc., never been outside in her life.

The problem is simply: age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
She seems to be back to her old self. I moved the original litter box to a corner of the living room so I was privy to a very long pee last night. She has not even stepped in the new one which I put in the same place as the original; same box, same litter. Maybe for some reason she decided she didn't like where it was. I saw her sitting near it the other day and just staring at it for some reason.

When I went to the pet store I picked up a flat, soft bed and she seems to like it.

QuilterClick the canned food I buy her has liquid in it, usually chicken or fish broth, but if it's a pate I always add some water to it. She drinks her water also.

Like was mentioned who knows what kind of garbage she was fed before I got her. The shelter had her on Science Diet dry. They usually mix the dry with some canned food at feeding time there.

I'll let you know what the vet says. Now I need to go look up "megacolon".

Whew! great to hear she is getting 'flushed' out. Be wary of kitty food with salt and those 'broths' are loaded with it. Vet suggested sodium free chicken broth, I buy Swansons when I make soup and save a cup or so of broth now and then. The broth from a can of tuna fish is definitely a no no. It is a myth that cats need or like fish.

If you can get this book from the library or purchase it, there is a wealth of info in it: The Cornell Book of Cats. (My vet is a Cornell Univ. and Univ. of NC grad -- he suggested that book years ago.)

Old 02-11-2017, 03:35 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
[quote=QuilterChick;47157073]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Proplan is a waste of money. You could find an actual better food if you're able to spend more. Same for dry brands like Purina One Beyond. Sure, it's the best that PURINA offers, but still not a good for per dollar. Better brands can be bought for less.

Thank you for your post , but she is 17 yrs. old. It's not a matter of money spent on wet food, my vet has no problem with the small cans of ProPlan and he's been her vet for 15 yrs -- it's a matter of what she will eat at this point. I don't care what the 'best' dry food is that Purina offers, because she has never in her life had dry food which are full of chemicals and salt. She gets no 'treats' other than white meat chicken bits. She gets plenty of water in her food and eats at least 2-1/2 cans of food per day. When people see her, they cannot believe she is 17, silky shiny coat, clear eyes, good teeth and all of them , healthy mouth etc., never been outside in her life.

The problem is simply: age.
That isn't what you said. You said that FF is crap and pro-plan is better, which doesn't look to be the case with the ingredients lists.

I was using Purina One beyond merely as an example of a food that is the best Purina has to offer in dry, but better food can be had for less money.

Your 17 year old lovey you are doing right by, but again your statement was that pro-plan is superior to FF and the ingredient lists don't bear that out. You just made an unsupported statement that FF is 'full of chemicals and junk' and implied that pro-plan is not.

Last edited by jencam; 02-11-2017 at 03:49 PM..

Old 02-11-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
My heart broke when my kitty's body shut down. He could pee, but when he no longer drank or ate it was the beginning of the end (as it usually is.)

I don't think I can handle another cat death.
It's very hard. Your had CRF? Mine I kept too long. She had her spot by the window. She'd move far enough to pee on a towel and I'd replace the towel. She didn't eat anymore but got nutrition with various mixtures she could drink. That part might have been alright.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Yes most FF wet is full of chemicals and junk, vet says the absolute only FF that is possibly ok for kitties under 3 yrs. old is the Chicken Classic.

However, I have no idea why you are pushing dry food, no matter what the brand is. Dry food is not good for cats of any age. Dogs, fine.

Thanks for your input. Sorry for the loss of your kitty.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes most FF wet is full of chemicals and junk, vet says the absolute only FF that is possibly ok for kitties under 3 yrs. old is the Chicken Classic.

However, I have no idea why you are pushing dry food, no matter what the brand is. Dry food is not good for cats of any age. Dogs, fine.

Thanks for your input.
I am not pushing dry food. I never said anything of the sort. And, you have not provided any evidence to support your statement that pro-plan is better than FF. I did provide ingredient lists showing you your pro-plan has by-products in the first 3 ingredients. There is nothing about it that is better than FF. 'My Vet said' is not support for a statement like that.

Look at the ingredients for yourself and tell me how PP is better. It's got by-products in the first 3 ingredients.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I will try to get her in this afternoon or tomorrow. My son is here now and he can put her in the carrier. While I'm there I can tell them about the giant size poop from a while back.
Have you tried pumpkin?

Old 02-12-2017, 08:05 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
I thought pumpkin was for diarrhea?

Old 02-12-2017, 09:10 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
I thought pumpkin was for diarrhea?
Pumpkin is a soluble fiber that can firm up the stool, or or help it pass.

However it doesn't get to the root of any problem, it is simply a temporary bandaid.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:04 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,609,454 times
Pumpkin can help renal issues by reducing load on kidneys via excreting some of the liquid bound in feces. If you use a fiber supp, as we do from Now Foods, it'll help divert some of the load on the kidneys also, via the excretion of bowels. Pumpkin then too, adds bulk as catsmom said, & thus helps additionally reduce stress on kidneys -- if a cat truly has renal probs.

However, this all needs a through kidney workup w/ a vet, prior to assuming CRF or any other compromised kidney issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats