U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 04:48 PM

21,101 posts, read 11,754,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I thought pumpkin was for diarrhea?
It's for both. Maybe could help kitty's constipation. I'm surprised your Vet doesn't want any poop. My Vet always wants poop samples!

They know now I won't do them just for fun. Last time I went the tech said 'you don't do fecals, right?' Right. Unless there is a problem I do not do fecals, thank you.

But when I need to, I don't have to have an appointment. I just show up with the poop and hand it to a tech.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 AM

14,472 posts, read 8,537,811 times
Got a call back from the vet. First he said Rowan had no signs of bacteria and all the tests on the urine seem fine. Then he said it could be cystitis. I asked him if there was no signs of bacteria how could she have cystitis? Never got a good answer. Then he recommended Science Diet something and I stopped him immediately, told him I feel Science Diet is garbage and that I feed Rowan canned food and sometimes a little dry that is mostly protein with no grains or by-products and costs $35 for a 5 lb. bag. He got pretty quiet after that and asked me what brand I was feeding her.

I don't care for this veterinary practice. They are all about running lots of tests and doing unnecessary procedures to hike up the bill. They wanted to do a full blood panel and X-rays but I asked them to start with the urinalysis. That, a nail trim and visit cost $145. If he had done the rest my bill was going to be $498. I'm still paying my credit card off from Timmy. :-( The only reason I took Rowan there is it is 1/2 mile from me where my other vet is 45 minutes away on a good day.

I did take his suggestion of getting a second litter box and I have seen and heard her peeing. She seems to have no visible discomfort. Don't know why she wasn't going for so long.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:42 AM

2,887 posts, read 3,365,659 times
I went back and re-read all of the posts in this thread. It could be possible that a she has cystitis from stress, or it could be idiopathic. ITA that prescription food is garbage.

However, the second litter box is a good idea and I'll be curious if that will help her long term. It's sounding positive already. Some cats are picky about where they will poo and pee.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:24 PM

Oh, he also told me to put a tiny bit of Miralax in her food. Anybody here have experience with that?

Old 02-13-2017, 03:32 PM

9,391 posts, read 16,982,832 times
Cystitis is inflammation. The bladder and/or urinary tract become inflamed. Usually, as Rene said, it is idiopathic. However a flare is extremely painful to kitty. Knowing it will hurt if she pees is what may have caused her to be holding it for so long. Of course that is very bad for her kidneys.

There are things you can do to help her. The second litter box is an excellent start. Most cats prefer at least two places to toilet, it is on an instinctual level, they are prey animals and instinctively they want to void in different places so not to leave an easy trail for predators. (it's also why they hide pain)

Keep stress to a minimum. I would get the Rescue Remedy for pets, have it on hand for times when she might be feeling extra stressed (visitors, change in routine, anything like that)

It can be used daily if needed.

There are supplements that can make her more comfortable too. You might want to read up on d-mannose, and corn silk, for example. I use d-mannose for both myself and my "FLUTD" cat. When I have a flare, the d-mannose works very quickly to ease that pain.

Marshmallow root is also known to be helpful for the urinary tract. Marshmallow root is a mucilage, should not be given with other meds or supplements, and might be helpful with her poop issues too. I also use MR for my kitty. More for the mucilage (she has digestive problems) than for the UT benefit though.

I have not used corn silk, I only mention it because I know someone who does.

Cosequin for cats has also been used for urinary tract problems. The glucosamine and chondrotin are thought to help keep the bladder walls smooth so things don't stick and build up. That is my unscientific understanding of how it works. My "FLUTD" cat takes this also.

By the way. While the trip to the vet was probably very stressful to Rowan, the fact that she was left there, then brought back home to her forever home may have helped her feel more secure in the long run. She wasn't left, in a cage, for ever. The same person who left her, came back and took her home. That's got to be huge, for a cat who has been chucked around so much.

You're the best thing ever happened to that lucky kitty. xx

Old 02-13-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Got a call back from the vet. First he said Rowan had no signs of bacteria and all the tests on the urine seem fine. Then he said it could be cystitis. I asked him if there was no signs of bacteria how could she have cystitis? Never got a good answer. Then he recommended Science Diet something and I stopped him immediately, told him I feel Science Diet is garbage and that I feed Rowan canned food and sometimes a little dry that is mostly protein with no grains or by-products and costs $35 for a 5 lb. bag. He got pretty quiet after that and asked me what brand I was feeding her.

I don't care for this veterinary practice. They are all about running lots of tests and doing unnecessary procedures to hike up the bill. They wanted to do a full blood panel and X-rays but I asked them to start with the urinalysis. That, a nail trim and visit cost $145. If he had done the rest my bill was going to be $498. I'm still paying my credit card off from Timmy. :-( The only reason I took Rowan there is it is 1/2 mile from me where my other vet is 45 minutes away on a good day.

I did take his suggestion of getting a second litter box and I have seen and heard her peeing. She seems to have no visible discomfort. Don't know why she wasn't going for so long.
He might have been suggesting a food that provokes Rowan to drink more. Mine did. My cat had idiopathic cystitis.

Can you call and ask if anything was found in the bladder? mine had mucus and red blood cells. The latter were obvious from his pee, but the former was not of course. Sub-q fluids flushed them out while I worked on solving his stress, which is what they decided the cause is.

He wanted a full work up to look for stones and crystals and to check his kidney function mainly, but a few other things too.

I think an ultrasound might have been done on the first visit but it could have been x-ray. I forget now which looks for what, but I don't think your vet is trying to scam you. He's trying to find out the bladder problem.

If yours does have some mucus, at least you can do something about that if you don't want to do the other tests.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I went back and re-read all of the posts in this thread. It could be possible that a she has cystitis from stress, or it could be idiopathic. ITA that prescription food is garbage.

However, the second litter box is a good idea and I'll be curious if that will help her long term. It's sounding positive already. Some cats are picky about where they will poo and pee.
I don't think it is garbage if it does the job of causing kitty to drink a lot and flush their bladder, I just chose not to go that route. Mine is a doll for sitting and taking sub-q fluids.

Also some foods are for crystals - to dissolve them. I think it's too sweeping to say it's all garbage. I watched a parvo-recovering pup eat Hills I/D and it was NOT garbage. She regurgitated everything else and it was critical she NOT do that.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cystitis is inflammation. The bladder and/or urinary tract become inflamed. Usually, as Rene said, it is idiopathic. However a flare is extremely painful to kitty. Knowing it will hurt if she pees is what may have caused her to be holding it for so long. Of course that is very bad for her kidneys.

There are things you can do to help her. The second litter box is an excellent start. Most cats prefer at least two places to toilet, it is on an instinctual level, they are prey animals and instinctively they want to void in different places so not to leave an easy trail for predators. (it's also why they hide pain)

Keep stress to a minimum. I would get the Rescue Remedy for pets, have it on hand for times when she might be feeling extra stressed (visitors, change in routine, anything like that)

It can be used daily if needed.

There are supplements that can make her more comfortable too. You might want to read up on d-mannose, and corn silk, for example. I use d-mannose for both myself and my "FLUTD" cat. When I have a flare, the d-mannose works very quickly to ease that pain.

Marshmallow root is also known to be helpful for the urinary tract. Marshmallow root is a mucilage, should not be given with other meds or supplements, and might be helpful with her poop issues too. I also use MR for my kitty. More for the mucilage (she has digestive problems) than for the UT benefit though.

I have not used corn silk, I only mention it because I know someone who does.

Cosequin for cats has also been used for urinary tract problems. The glucosamine and chondrotin are thought to help keep the bladder walls smooth so things don't stick and build up. That is my unscientific understanding of how it works. My "FLUTD" cat takes this also.

By the way. While the trip to the vet was probably very stressful to Rowan, the fact that she was left there, then brought back home to her forever home may have helped her feel more secure in the long run. She wasn't left, in a cage, for ever. The same person who left her, came back and took her home. That's got to be huge, for a cat who has been chucked around so much.

You're the best thing ever happened to that lucky kitty. xx

I was thinking the same thing! Never heard of Rescue Remedy. He did say something about Feliway?

Old 02-13-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing! Never heard of Rescue Remedy. He did say something about Feliway?
Mine too and I got it. Will you call and see if kitty's bladder is being plugged up with mucus? Although getting to the root cause is important, physical symptoms need assistance in the meantime. Will she drink 'soup'? to help flush out her bladder?

Old 02-13-2017, 07:54 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,608,308 times
Quote:
Oh, he also told me to put a tiny bit of Miralax in her food. Anybody here have experience with that?
I don't use Miralax (polyethylene glycol), but I use ground psyllium powder in my cats' food daily. I do add extra water, both because the psyllium powder expands in the food and just to get some extra water in my cats' diet. I'm not a vet, so I don't know if there's an advantage to using Miralax over psyllium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats