U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2017, 08:34 PM
 
10,079 posts, read 18,298,104 times
Reputation: 17323

Advertisements

My kitty, Boo, had the same thing, idiopathic cystitis. We took him to the vet about a year ago, they said its IC, gave him some prednisone, and it seemed to clear up. But it never really recovered. He would have intermittent episodes where he would avoid the litter box, and go around yowling. The difficult thing with Boo is, he's a talker/yammer, sometimes just goes on a rant for no real reason.


However, Tuesday, I just decided he's not yowling for no reason. I took him to the vet, same place, but a different vet. She put him under sedation to examine his penis. It was inflamed and wouldn't extrude. She even showed me his penis before sedation. It was red, swollen, and wouldn't extrude. After putting him under, she showed me how much more she could get it to come out. Still, it was red and swollen. It was, essentially, "stuck" in a bed of mucous, which she managed to clean out. She then cauterized him, and got a ton of fluid. They kept him overnight, cauterized him 2 more times, then he was able to void on his own. He came home yesterday. He's currently on pain meds, prednisone, and a smooth muscle relaxant.


He's a different cat, no longer yowling, happy, content. The poor boy! Anyone would yowl if they had such a condition! I'm frustrated with the other vets who just looked at the obvious---infection, urine culture, give antibiotics, rinse and repeat. This is the only vet who actually examined his penis!


As them if they've actually examined his penis---just be glad this is a cat and not a child or we'd both be turned over to CPS


That should be cauterize-- not cauterize---dang spell checker!

Last edited by MaryleeII; 02-16-2017 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2017, 10:46 PM
 
21,101 posts, read 11,754,282 times
Reputation: 19664
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My kitty, Boo, had the same thing, idiopathic cystitis. We took him to the vet about a year ago, they said its IC, gave him some prednisone, and it seemed to clear up. But it never really recovered. He would have intermittent episodes where he would avoid the litter box, and go around yowling. The difficult thing with Boo is, he's a talker/yammer, sometimes just goes on a rant for no real reason.


However, Tuesday, I just decided he's not yowling for no reason. I took him to the vet, same place, but a different vet. She put him under sedation to examine his penis. It was inflamed and wouldn't extrude. She even showed me his penis before sedation. It was red, swollen, and wouldn't extrude. After putting him under, she showed me how much more she could get it to come out. Still, it was red and swollen. It was, essentially, "stuck" in a bed of mucous, which she managed to clean out. She then cauterized him, and got a ton of fluid. They kept him overnight, cauterized him 2 more times, then he was able to void on his own. He came home yesterday. He's currently on pain meds, prednisone, and a smooth muscle relaxant.


He's a different cat, no longer yowling, happy, content. The poor boy! Anyone would yowl if they had such a condition! I'm frustrated with the other vets who just looked at the obvious---infection, urine culture, give antibiotics, rinse and repeat. This is the only vet who actually examined his penis!


As them if they've actually examined his penis---just be glad this is a cat and not a child or we'd both be turned over to CPS


That should be cauterize-- not cauterize---dang spell checker!
Yes I hope the OP gets some fluids for the likely mucus build-up but I am not sure from her post if crystals or stones have been ruled out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2017, 07:18 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
14,472 posts, read 8,537,811 times
Reputation: 30275
Rowan seems to be fine now. I'm adding even more water to her canned food and she is peeing without any distress as I saw her last night when she went in her second litter box. She has even been pooping IN the litter box, however it still seems like a larger circumference than I would expect from a cat. I've had many cats over the years and never saw anything like it.


Looked up megacolon and I'm picking up some pumpkin and Miralax when I go to the grocery store. You guys said to get pure pumpkin NOT the pie kind of pumpkin correct?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2017, 07:42 AM
 
3,771 posts, read 3,608,308 times
Reputation: 7888
Dr. Pierson discusses both pumpkin and Miralax (including how much to give) on this page of her website: Making Cat Food (it starts about 1/3 of the way down the page). You'll have to scroll through her poop photos to get to the dose of Miralax. LOL

Yes, pure pumpkin, not the kind with sweeteners and spices you can sometimes buy for pie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2017, 02:05 PM
 
11,115 posts, read 18,195,880 times
Reputation: 10142
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Rowan seems to be fine now. I'm adding even more water to her canned food and she is peeing without any distress as I saw her last night when she went in her second litter box. She has even been pooping IN the litter box, however it still seems like a larger circumference than I would expect from a cat. I've had many cats over the years and never saw anything like it.


Looked up megacolon and I'm picking up some pumpkin and Miralax when I go to the grocery store. You guys said to get pure pumpkin NOT the pie kind of pumpkin correct?

One (1) level teaspoon every 3rd day is plenty. Remember, Miralax is an adult lax. Give her extra water, nice cold water, often. If you have a health food store, ask the mgr. for pure unadulterated no additives pumpkin and keep it in the fridge.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2017, 02:10 PM
 
10,079 posts, read 18,298,104 times
Reputation: 17323
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
One (1) level teaspoon every 3rd day is plenty. Remember, Miralax is an adult lax. Give her extra water, nice cold water, often. If you have a health food store, ask the mgr. for pure unadulterated no additives pumpkin and keep it in the fridge.

Good idea to try the health food store for the pumpkin Another idea, try organic baby food pumpkin, the kind in the little jars. I recently bought baby pumpkin for my cat---all I can say is, I'm certainly glad my human babies are beyond that phase or we'd be broke! The prices are beyond ridiculous
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 09:13 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
14,472 posts, read 8,537,811 times
Reputation: 30275
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 06:01 PM
 
21,101 posts, read 11,754,282 times
Reputation: 19664
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Rowan seems to be fine now. I'm adding even more water to her canned food and she is peeing without any distress as I saw her last night when she went in her second litter box. She has even been pooping IN the litter box, however it still seems like a larger circumference than I would expect from a cat. I've had many cats over the years and never saw anything like it.


Looked up megacolon and I'm picking up some pumpkin and Miralax when I go to the grocery store. You guys said to get pure pumpkin NOT the pie kind of pumpkin correct?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top