Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 02:38 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times

Advertisements

Happy about the pees, but something isn't right, glad you took her in. Hope the vet was still able to get a urine sample. Looking forward to your update. xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 02:55 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Any updates...yet?

Old 02-10-2017, 03:10 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have an appointment for 9:30 tomorrow morning. Came home from my appointment and she had another one of her pony sized poops, half of it in and half out of the litter box. I also see no more pee clumps. Something is just not right with her. I asked the receptionist at the vet if I should bring in a stool sample and she said no. Not sure I agree with that so I will probably bring it in anyway. If she doesn't poop again would this sample be any good now that there is litter on it?

I have never had a cat with these weird issues (other than poor Timmy who only made it 5 days after I brought him home). Rowan eats better than any cat I have ever had and she's strictly an indoor cat - I would think she wouldn't have any health issues. She's also not an easy cat to get very attached to but I try to put myself in her place: dumped at the shelter because her people were moving, then adopted and brought back twice because she wasn't friendly or playful enough. People say we shouldn't anthropomorphize but I can't help it. Even when I see a dead animal on the side of the road I always wonder if they have a family waiting for them, wondering where they are. I'm crazy I know but I love animals, even those that don't necessarily love me back. I see small improvements in the 4 months I have had her but she still won't let me pick her up or even move her closer to me. I realize she is still unsure of me but I feed her, brush her, give her treats, rub her tummy and she obviously enjoys my company as she purrs like a motorboat. She's just so aloof compared to the many cats I have had over the years and I've had some feral cats that were friendlier than Rowan is.

It took about 6 months to trust us. We waited it out and then she was sleeping in my lap. She would never let us pick her up.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:24 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Well naturally when I brought Rowan in this morning her bladder was empty so the vet asked me to let them keep her there for a few hours. They called at 2 p.m. and she still hadn't peed. Finally I called them at 4 p.m. and they told me they were able to get urine and I could take her home. Unfortunately no results from the urinalysis until tomorrow or Monday. Plus now she smells like cat urine and won't let me get close enough to wipe her. I bet she was relieved to see me come back for her after her previous experiences.

My son, who rarely cleans the litter box for me, emptied the giant poop so I couldn't bring a sample of that in. The doctor said she could be constipated which is why her poo is so large. I'm not joking it actually clogged my toilet when I tried to flush it one day. It is rather hard also. I don't understand that as she gets canned food, rarely any dry unless I will be gone all day and then I leave her 1/4 cup of a really good quality dry. She also weighs 15.6 pounds and she was 12 when I got her according to the shelter paperwork. Not sure how accurate that is because she was a little zaftig when I got her. I told him what I feed her every day and he didn't see any reason for her to be so chunky. Maybe because she's an inside kitty and doesn't play so she doesn't get any exercise?

The vet also recommended a second litter box which I went and got. I don't really see the need especially since I live in a smaller condo but hey, it's worth a try. My son thinks I am overreacting but with animals, especially cats, I don't feel I can take a chance. One of my cats from many years ago went from being fine to dead in 24 hours. Of course she was 17 years old but there was no signs of anything wrong until it was too late.

Well I will keep you updated when I get the results. Thank you all for your concern.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:35 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Poor kitty. I hope this gets resolved soon.

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:26 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
I wonder if those giant poops could be megacolon. Poor girl! Hopefully, the vet will figure out what is going on with her. Glad she peed today.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:32 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Well naturally when I brought Rowan in this morning her bladder was empty so the vet asked me to let them keep her there for a few hours. They called at 2 p.m. and she still hadn't peed. Finally I called them at 4 p.m. and they told me they were able to get urine and I could take her home. Unfortunately no results from the urinalysis until tomorrow or Monday. Plus now she smells like cat urine and won't let me get close enough to wipe her. I bet she was relieved to see me come back for her after her previous experiences.

My son, who rarely cleans the litter box for me, emptied the giant poop so I couldn't bring a sample of that in. The doctor said she could be constipated which is why her poo is so large. I'm not joking it actually clogged my toilet when I tried to flush it one day. It is rather hard also. I don't understand that as she gets canned food, rarely any dry unless I will be gone all day and then I leave her 1/4 cup of a really good quality dry. She also weighs 15.6 pounds and she was 12 when I got her according to the shelter paperwork. Not sure how accurate that is because she was a little zaftig when I got her. I told him what I feed her every day and he didn't see any reason for her to be so chunky. Maybe because she's an inside kitty and doesn't play so she doesn't get any exercise?

The vet also recommended a second litter box which I went and got. I don't really see the need especially since I live in a smaller condo but hey, it's worth a try. My son thinks I am overreacting but with animals, especially cats, I don't feel I can take a chance. One of my cats from many years ago went from being fine to dead in 24 hours. Of course she was 17 years old but there was no signs of anything wrong until it was too late. Difficult to see it though because a female cleans herself often. If it is a full blown infection she will drip blood spots on the floor or her bed.

Well I will keep you updated when I get the results. Thank you all for your concern.

Are you adding some water to her wet food? Water is sooo important. I'm surprised that your vet did not give her SubQ fluids? It's not expensive. My girl has had Stage 2 kidney disease for the past year or so (there are 4 stages). We go once a week for the fluids and she is fine. Very important: according to vets, do not give any cats over 3 yrs. of age dry food, there is a too much salt and chemicals in it and will make her retain fluid to compensate and can cause bladder issues. Fancy Feast is full of junk and chemicals. For 50 cents a can that is expected. Mine does great on either ProPlan (yes, I know, made by Purina) but it is the best Purina brand for cats vet says. I always add water to it and vary the flavors. Maxi Nutra Max in the small cans are also very good. Try not to buy the el cheapo brands, just not worth it. Poor baby probably ate tons of junky food before you adopted her --- I'd rather spend the money on the good food than vet bills. Not p'ing can also cause bladder infections in kitties, so if you see a tinge of blood on her fur where she p's, get her to vet for antibiotics.

Will be watching your posts to hear of progress with your 'baby'. Congratulations for adopting your pets. Animals have no control over their lives, they are totally depending on us, and we have to do the best we can. My Ragdoll will be 17 yrs. old in June. Bless them all.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:44 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Are you adding some water to her wet food? Water is sooo important. I'm surprised that your vet did not give her SubQ fluids? It's not expensive. My girl has had Stage 2 kidney disease for the past year or so (there are 4 stages). We go once a week for the fluids and she is fine. Very important: according to vets, do not give any cats over 3 yrs. of age dry food, there is a too much salt and chemicals in it and will make her retain fluid to compensate and can cause bladder issues. Fancy Feast is full of junk and chemicals. For 50 cents a can that is expected. Mine does great on either ProPlan (yes, I know, made by Purina) but it is the best Purina brand for cats vet says. I always add water to it and vary the flavors. Maxi Nutra Max in the small cans are also very good. Try not to buy the el cheapo brands, just not worth it. Poor baby probably ate tons of junky food before you adopted her --- I'd rather spend the money on the good food than vet bills. Not p'ing can also cause bladder infections in kitties, so if you see a tinge of blood on her fur where she p's, get her to vet for antibiotics.

Will be watching your posts to hear of progress with your 'baby'. Congratulations for adopting your pets. Animals have no control over their lives, they are totally depending on us, and we have to do the best we can. My Ragdoll will be 17 yrs. old in June. Bless them all.
Proplan is a waste of money. You could find an actual better food if you're able to spend more. Same for dry brands like Purina One Beyond. Sure, it's the best that PURINA offers, but still not a good for per dollar. Better brands can be bought for less.

This is pro-plan's urinary health ingredient list: FF is actually a better food than this one, imo, but certainly not the other way around. At best they are the same quality but you are paying more.

Ingredients: Water sufficient for processing, meat by-products, chicken, wheat gluten, corn starch-modified, natural and artificial flavors, soy flour, potassium chloride, taurine, tricalcium phosphate,salt, caramel color, Vitamin E supplement, thiamine monoitrate(Vitamin B-1), Vitamin A supplement, ferrous sulfate, ...
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ngride%3Dients

It would be cool if people actually had to source things on here to support their statements.

Here is ingredient list for a ff variety: Fancy Feast classic chicken ingredients: Chicken, chicken broth, liver, meat by-products, fish, poultry by-products, artificial and natural flavors, calcium phosphate, guar gum, potassium chloride, added color, salt, magnesium sulfate, taurine, zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate,

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...od+ingridients

Old 02-10-2017, 07:05 PM

572 posts, read 435,572 times
My heart broke when my kitty's body shut down. He could pee, but when he no longer drank or ate it was the beginning of the end (as it usually is.)

I don't think I can handle another cat death.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:31 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
She seems to be back to her old self. I moved the original litter box to a corner of the living room so I was privy to a very long pee last night. She has not even stepped in the new one which I put in the same place as the original; same box, same litter. Maybe for some reason she decided she didn't like where it was. I saw her sitting near it the other day and just staring at it for some reason.

When I went to the pet store I picked up a flat, soft bed and she seems to like it.

QuilterClick the canned food I buy her has liquid in it, usually chicken or fish broth, but if it's a pate I always add some water to it. She drinks her water also.

Like was mentioned who knows what kind of garbage she was fed before I got her. The shelter had her on Science Diet dry. They usually mix the dry with some canned food at feeding time there.

I'll let you know what the vet says. Now I need to go look up "megacolon".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats