Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 06:38 PM

430 posts, read 335,139 times

Advertisements

So I went ahead and got my cat and, so far, I love the dude but just a little curious on his behavior. He seems very fine and affectionate, so is it normal for near constant head butting and mouth rubbing? I've been near cats before and never dealt with this as much, maybe because I didn't really live with them idk. But he ALWAYS head butts me when I'm petting him and rubs the inside of his mouth on me. For some reason he favors my chin, corner of eyes, and edges of lips (or lips if he's quick enough and I'm not paying attention). He also kinda meows. Like he does the mouth movement and I can just barely hear the end of it, if not a little beep or chirp sound, but he literally does a silent meow. Which is kind of odd considering, when I got him, he was loud and meowed clearly. So I'm just wondering if this is all entirely normal cat behavior, especially if I just got him less than a week ago.

This and suggestions on food if he only eats wet, but doesn't seem to like shredded or flaked (if the pieces are big enough). If softy/more goopy wet food good for an older cat? I want to get it for him, because I'm noticing he immediately eats the softer, smaller, and more shredded up pieces first before the rest. But I don't know if it's good for him and his teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 07:41 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,934 times
He just really likes you and is overjoyed to be with you. The rubbing is scent marking, you are his human. The head bump is a hello and sign of affection. You now have a friend for life. Cats have a lot of different vocalizations, in time you will learn the I am a hungry, I am mad, sad, worried, pain. Lucky you and congrats have fun with your new friend.

He will probably slow down on the scent marking a bit once he feels more secure.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 06-23-2017 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Missed a comment

Old 06-23-2017, 08:19 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,787,190 times
how delightful!!! He loves you!!!!!!!!!! I love the head bumps and one of my tuxies makes it a regular routine before bedtime to climb on me and give me constant head bumps and kisses . Sometimes she does it fast and furious!! LOL. I love it. You're so lucky he has taken so quickly to you.

As for the food a cat will have his/her preference. Some like the pate while others prefer the flaky and another might like the flourentine type wet foods.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:21 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,937,390 times
He loves and appreciates you :-)

My cats also don't like really chunky wet food. Sometimes the can has a few bigger chunks of meat in it and I have to cut it up a bit more for them to eat it. Nothing wrong with giving him pate if that is what he likes. I also mix in some water with the wet food and my cats love it (well all except one who absolutely refuses wet).

PS I think we need pictures of your new addition!!

Old 06-23-2017, 08:46 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,934 times
Something I forgot to mention. I found that instead of wimpy little water bowls I now use a good size glass mixing bowl, 2 qt. I think. They seem to like it much better. One occasionly plays with the water slapping it with her paw and fish out toys, floating plastic kind. It drives especially her insane trying to get her favorite superball out though. I only change it every other day. Their water intake improved also.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:05 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,504,012 times
When your cat is settled in and confident and cat-arrogant, he won't head butt you or head rub you so much and you'll be wondering why and missing it like crazy. My advice is to enjoy it while it lasts (even if it's a little OCD right now). As for the food, he might have some sore teeth and not want to chew. Or I used to cat sit for someone whose cat licked up all the gravy and never ate the solid bits, or not many. Try the pate.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:36 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,787,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
When your cat is settled in and confident and cat-arrogant, he won't head butt you or head rub you so much and you'll be wondering why and missing it like crazy. My advice is to enjoy it while it lasts (even if it's a little OCD right now). As for the food, he might have some sore teeth and not want to chew. Or I used to cat sit for someone whose cat licked up all the gravy and never ate the solid bits, or not many. Try the pate.
huh? Mine continue to head bump and rub and we take that as a sign of love.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
huh? Mine continue to head bump and rub and we take that as a sign of love.
Yeah, mine too. My girls are constantly reminding me of who owns who around here. Gypsy often gets very intimate with her marking of my neck, face, ears, etc. She's even been known to lick my eyes on occasion. Angel generally either makes biscuits on me, or drools on me, or both. Sheba is the household head-butt expert. Actually, she HB's about everything, sometimes to the point of making a thumping noise. I keep thinking she's going to knock herself out one of these days, but it never seems to bother her. When she head-butts me, she always includes a fully-body rub, and that's my cue to clear my lap of whatever important stuff I'm doing so she can come up and snooze.
They are all seniors now, and are pretty much loving on me as they did as kittens, just with a little more authority.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:12 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
So I went ahead and got my cat and, so far, I love the dude but just a little curious on his behavior. He seems very fine and affectionate, so is it normal for near constant head butting and mouth rubbing? I've been near cats before and never dealt with this as much, maybe because I didn't really live with them idk. But he ALWAYS head butts me when I'm petting him and rubs the inside of his mouth on me. For some reason he favors my chin, corner of eyes, and edges of lips (or lips if he's quick enough and I'm not paying attention). He also kinda meows. Like he does the mouth movement and I can just barely hear the end of it, if not a little beep or chirp sound, but he literally does a silent meow. Which is kind of odd considering, when I got him, he was loud and meowed clearly. So I'm just wondering if this is all entirely normal cat behavior, especially if I just got him less than a week ago.

This and suggestions on food if he only eats wet, but doesn't seem to like shredded or flaked (if the pieces are big enough). If softy/more goopy wet food good for an older cat? I want to get it for him, because I'm noticing he immediately eats the softer, smaller, and more shredded up pieces first before the rest. But I don't know if it's good for him and his teeth.
Most people feel the pate is the best. What is better for teeth is a big controversy but canned is better for him and teeth are largely a function of genetics. I give greenies dental treats. No idea if they really help, but they do not cost any more than other treats, so I figure why not?

Old 06-25-2017, 08:08 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
Yup - all that's been written about his behavior is spot on - completely on the positive side!

My cats prefer pate. I wonder if they don't care for the texture of the shredded stuff or if those shreds get too easily stuck between their teeth.

Thinking about the purpose of cats' teeth, their front incisors are used for holding and nibbling, and rear molars for scissoring into smaller pieces (unlike human molars that are supposed to grind food into a swallow-able pulp). So, already-shredded food isn't nibble-able and the molars already have the work done for them, so perhaps already-shredded food is too unnatural?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats