U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 07:31 PM

732 posts, read 680,028 times

Advertisements

So Misto has coccidia. And because Aslan was grooming Misto including his butt, Aslan how has it too. We didn't know and took both cats in to the vet for bad diarrhea today. We can pill Misto but it's so hard to do with Aslan. Any suggestions? The next 9 days are going to be rough!

And vet says to halt for now on dog cat interactions until this is cleared up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 08:59 PM

5,532 posts, read 3,295,420 times
Try Greenies pill pockets if he'll eat them and then check he ate the pill.

Grind it into powder and hide it in something he eats heartily.

Hold him and push it way into the back of his mouth and hope he swallows it.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:02 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,609,954 times
Does Aslan fight you when you try to pill him?

For me, Pill Pockets are like a miracle. I wrap the pill in that pocket, firmly hold the cat under my left arm, while holding his head in my left hand, lift up his jaw with my right hand and open his jaw up, pop the Pill Pocket in his mouth far back enough so that he has to swallow and down the hatch it goes. Usually, the cat does not know what happened before it's all over. Before Pill Pockets, pilling was much more of an ordeal. I do usually give a treat after a successful pilling. After I count my fingers, of course.

That said, some cats will fight you no matter what. You may have to wrap him in a blanket so he doesn't scratch you. Sometimes 2 people are better then one, because one can hold the cat and keep it calm while the other pops the Pill Pocket in the mouth.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:31 AM

2,887 posts, read 3,367,000 times
FYI, coccidia can be a bugger to get rid of. Also, make sure to check Misto for roundworms at least twice, since they may not show in the first stool sample. (Been there, done that!)

I've had mixed luck with Pill Pockets, but they are worth trying.

There are videos on YouTube for pilling techniques. Best way I've found is to place cat on a counter or table, pry open mouth and stuff pill as far back as you can. The cat will usually have to swallow then. Always follow with a treat or food to make sure it's all down.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:56 PM

5,790 posts, read 4,635,915 times
Make sure you have the meds handy. Get on your knees and put the cat in between them facing out. Cross your feet so he can't back up. Then lift his head, open his mouth and put the pill in as far as you can and close his mouth, stroking his throat.

If Aslan is difficult, you may want to ask the vet for liquid. It is almost impossible for me to get a pill into Electra. I can manage with liquid (which I do the same way-on my knees).

Cat

Old 07-13-2017, 04:43 PM

21,101 posts, read 11,758,677 times
I like liquid. They can't spit it out.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:58 PM

1,565 posts, read 1,110,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Make sure you have the meds handy. Get on your knees and put the cat in between them facing out. Cross your feet so he can't back up. Then lift his head, open his mouth and put the pill in as far as you can and close his mouth, stroking his throat.
I do it this way as well. Also, I use a piller, which is just a long syringe that holds the pill and allows you to place it in the back of their mouth. I find when I use a piller the cat is less likely to be able to spit out the pill.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:00 PM

21,101 posts, read 11,758,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

If Aslan is difficult, you may want to ask the vet for liquid. It is almost impossible for me to get a pill into Electra. I can manage with liquid (which I do the same way-on my knees).

Cat
Similar to what I do. I sit cross-legged and put the cat in between my legs facing out. Unless I can get liquid, lol.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:51 PM

732 posts, read 680,028 times
Hi guys. We used the piller and water syringes afterward. We were able to get it done. 7 days left unless they still test positive. Their poop stinks!

Old 07-13-2017, 11:44 PM

5,270 posts, read 5,504,709 times
I've never had great luch with pill pockets for cats. You have to getthe pills over the "ledge" of their tongues so they can't spit it out My Maine Coons were great because they wer big - I could get them between my legs andope thier mouths and pry heir mouths opn and push it over the ledge. Smaller cats are harder - like hose I have now - but I still use the same technique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats