Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 07:10 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,728,604 times

Advertisements

I am so so sorry to hear of this. Thank God Allie has had you in her life and don't give up just yet. I'm keeping you both in my prayers.

Same for you and your purr baby Heidi. <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 07:32 PM

27,898 posts, read 29,713,635 times
Again, thank you to everyone who has posted. I just got back from the vet's. They close at 5:00 but there are always vets or techs around after that. They let me bring in her own bed (which is a cloth igloo). I covered the cushion with my pajamas tops so she would be surrounded both by her own scent and mine. When they put the bed inside the cage, she went right inside it and started sniffing around. Then she curled up and sat facing the opening. I stayed in the back with her for a whole hour, petting her and talking to her, and telling her about a hundred times how much I love her. They bought her a dish of food and she actually ate quite a bit of it, which made everybody there feel a little bit encouraged.

I talked to one of the vets (not my regular one, but they're all so good)swa

Old 12-15-2017, 07:39 PM

Again, thank you to everyone who has posted. I just got back from the vet's. They close at 5:00 but there are always vets or techs around after that. They let me bring in her own bed (which is a cloth igloo). I covered the cushion with my pajamas tops so she would be surrounded both by her own scent and mine. When they put the bed inside the cage, she went right inside it and started sniffing around. Then she curled up and sat facing the opening. I stayed in the back with her for a whole hour, petting her and talking to her, and telling her about a hundred times how much I love her.

I talked to one of the vets (not my regular one, but they're all so good) about the steroids, and she said that while most steroids do take a couple of days to fully kick in, the one they gave her generally takes effect within 6 or 8 hours. My own vet was clearly not wanting to give me false hope, and had previously said she gave the steroids only about a 15% chance of working, but that they'd be worth a try.

Anyway, they bought her a dish of food while I was there, and she actually ate quite a bit of it, which made everybody there feel a little bit encouraged. She hadn't eaten anything since the night before last. The office is only open until noon on Saturday, but I'm going in at 11:30 to sit with her for awhile, and the vet I talked to today is going to call me tomorrow morning just before 8:00 to give me an update. They're really doing everything they can. If I could give her one more year, one whole year to live a truly good life, it would mean the world to me. I can only pray that will be the case, and accept it if it's not.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:45 PM

5,510 posts, read 6,426,796 times
Back in the day I lived in the country on 12 acres. We had 4 house cats and always a stray or two. One day, a Thursday, out of the blue, I almost tripped over a cat in my garage that I had never seen. She was just lying there, I could tell she was sick. I got her onto the porch in the garage (off of the cold concrete, we had that fake grass on the concrete porch/long step) and into a box that we kept lined with a warm blanket and a heating pad under it. She never moved. Had husband take her to the vet on Saturday, turns out she had Feline Leukemia. Had to make that decision to put her to sleep. I cried, as I loved her just for those 2 days we had her. She was a striped Tabby just like our male, Rascal, so I named her Rachel. She came home and was buried on our property with the other pets, strays, and other family members pets that were loved.

So yes, I truly believe she knows that she is/was greatly loved. Sounds like she could make a recovery, but don't be fooled. Quality of life is how we must determine our decision. If you make "the" decision, just remember, it is the "ultimate act of love". We cannot allow our beloved pets to suffer just to prolong our grief. You can have peace knowing that you gave her love, peace and comfort during the last days of her life.

Thoughts and hugs are with you during this difficult time.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:39 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,714,425 times
Oh she knows Katzpur, how could she not, after what you've done for her.

...sorry for kitty and you too. It's hard to have sick pets.

Cry as much as you need to...keep us informed.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:10 AM

10,025 posts, read 17,936,245 times
Oh Katzpur, I was so sad to read the OP, but it sounds like things are maybe, possibly, hopefully looking up?

It is SO obvious how much you love little Allie. I DO think that our furry creatures KNOW that we adore them, even if they don't speak English. They can tell from our voices and our playing with them and our cuddling them and ALL of the things that we do with/for them.

I am thinking good thoughts for Allie. Hope she will get better.

hugs to you,
Karen in NH

Old 12-16-2017, 08:01 AM

23,987 posts, read 10,340,975 times
Allie knows she is loved and has found her forever home. She understands that you are doing everything possible. She has not known kindness and caring until you came into her life. Nothing can take that away from her.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:08 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,710,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
We got Allie, a beautiful long-haired female cat not quite three months ago. I've started a couple of threads about her since then. She'd been brought into my vet by a man who told them, "Put her down. She pees everywhere and I'm sick of her." One of the vet's receptionists got permission to rescue her, and -- because she already had seven cats -- needed to find her a new home. I'd had to put my 22-year-old cat down just a month earlier and my vet asked if I'd be interested in taking Allie into my home. She was said to be six years old, but that was, of course, based on what her previous owner told them and their best estimates.

Allie came to live with us and, although she was scared to death, and tried to run away the first night (escaping via the doggy door), she had come such a long ways in the past three months. For the last week or so, she'd been sleeping on my bed and coming to me to be petted. (At first, she didn't even want to be touched.) She was on an SO diet for crystals in her urine (which explained why she wasn't using her litter box in her previous home, and up until yesterday, had a really good appetite.

Yesterday, she suddenly stopped eating and drinking. She found a comfortable spot and laid there all day. I had an appointment with the vet for my kitten, Samantha, and decided that Allie needed to be seen more urgently than Samantha did, so I took her in instead. She was running a fever and the vet said she could tell she was really feeling lousy. She had also lost 2 pounds over the past three months. They did some blood tests, which showed nothing really out of the ordinary, and a urinalysis which showed an infection which they started treating with intravenous antibiotics, in addition to some intravenous fluids to re-hydrate her. I left her there overnight, hoping for some good news this morning.

Unfortunately, my vet called and said there's been little change. She was still running a fever and still appeared to be very sick. The next step was to do an x-ray (which they didn't charge me for, since I'd gotten the cat through their clinic). It showed a small nodule on her pancreas, which they're doing to try to treat with some steroids, but both of the vets who have been treating her (there are four in the clinic) feel almost certain that it's cancer. We'll wait until tomorrow to see if there's any improvement, but it's not looking good at all.

So why am I writing all of this? I just need to know that Allie has the ability to know that, regardless of how awful her life used to be, somebody loves her now. Can cats sense this? I'm pretty sure that she has come to realize that she is at least safe with me, because she has only been treated kindly since she has been here. But as to understanding that she is actually "loved" -- is this possible?

I've got to stop now. I'm crying, and the man who is in my house cleaning my carpets is really going to wonder what's wrong. I don't want to have to explain it to him.
I'm so sorry to hear about this happening. Please take comfort in the fact you took her in and gave her a wonderful life, even if it was for such a short time. That speaks volumes about the kind of person you are.

I wish you and Allie well. All of us know how hard this is.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:17 AM

20,727 posts, read 9,340,759 times
I just don't know what to say in threads like this. I tend to think Fate had a hand in seeing you got hold of this kitty and take care of her in her final days. Not many people would bother going through so much for such a sick cat. When her time finally comes I think she will go to the Rainbow Bridge knowing that at least one person cared deeply for her.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:12 PM

Oh, my gosh! The vet just called. She said, "Allie looks AMAZING this morning!" Both of the vets who had treated her figured that there was about a 12%-15% chance that their last ditch treatment option was going to make much of a difference. They all put told me that I needed to prepare myself to say goodbye to her today. Instead, I'm bringing her home! She's alert, eating, and anxious to get out of the kennel she's in. The gave her a fast-acting steroid that they said wears off in a few days. Well, it obviously worked. She's also been on IV antibiotics for her UTI. They're going to give her a shot of a long-lasting (i.e. probably 3-5 weeks) steroid and a shot of a strong antibiotic since she won't be able to have it by IV any more. I am overjoyed.

On a side note... I typically do not post things of this nature on this forum, but I'm going to make an exception today. I have been praying non-stop for her recovery (or at least for more time for her to be able to enjoy life a little bit) for the past two days. I believe -- and I hope I don't offend anybody by saying this -- that I received an answer to my prayers, a miracle for a precious cat who needed one. I certainly didn't expect this outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats