Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 01:37 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I think your friend is bonkers. Look at pictures of feral cat colonies, and you will see cats that look just like pet cats, in the same range of colors. I also do not believe being feral is inherited. A feral cat is biologically no different from any other cat. If feral characteristics appear to be inherited, it's because it is so very hard to get hold of kittens born to feral mothers in time to socialize them properly.

As for her choice of perches.....aside from the fact that a where a cat chooses to rest is entirely up to the cat and some spots will always be a mystery to humans, I'd hazard a guess that she is making sure that everything, EVERYTHING, every surface she can rest her bod on, will be scented with her scent.

This is comforting to her, that everything has her scent. She's been out in a world where nothing smelled like her, and many things probably smell like other cats and other animals.

She wants those books, that toilet seat, and every other spot, to have HER scent. This is HER territory and the world is going to know it.

Her igloo bed already has her scent, so physical cozy comfort can wait, she has work to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 01:46 PM

436 posts, read 579,369 times
My cats do this and they haven't ever escaped. A favorite condo, blanket, cat bed that they just couldn't get enough of will be abandoned for something else in the house. Eventually they will rediscover an old bed and suddenly it is their favorite item again. I just attribute it to the fickleness in cat DNA.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:46 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Sheena, I can understand your being worried! I would go INSANE if any of my kitties got out, especially in cold/snowy weather.

I agree with the others who said that she is likely still recovering from her "adventure," which was likely pretty scary to her at times. (There are SO many scary things outside!!) And what Catsmom wrote about her wanting everything in the house to have HER scent, makes a lot of sense too.

RE: feral or semi-feral kitties: I adopted a tiny semi-feral kitten from the Humane Society on the day after Christmas last year. I was astounded that she was still available after having been there a week or two, as kittens are usually adopted IMMEDIATELY. Thing is, she was terrified of EVERYTHING, so no one wanted her. I took her and introduced her to my house and my other kitties very, very slowly. (Some would say I went TOO slow!) She is now a tiny, whirling ball of fur who zooms around the house as if she owns it. (Well ... ) She is also VERY cuddly, but only on HER terms. Since I have lived with kitties for decades now, I understand that they are all different and want things when they want them. I just live with their idiosyncrasies because they are so worth it!

I think Snow will calm down in a few days or a few weeks. Just let her be. (I know that's easy for me to say -- I would be worried too! But she is safe and sound at HOME now, so that is the important thing to remember. )

Old 12-17-2017, 03:10 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I think your friend is bonkers. Look at pictures of feral cat colonies, and you will see cats that look just like pet cats, in the same range of colors. I also do not believe being feral is inherited. A feral cat is biologically no different from any other cat. If feral characteristics appear to be inherited, it's because it is so very hard to get hold of kittens born to feral mothers in time to socialize them properly.
Yep, bonkers... at least when it comes to cats. What she's telling you is pretty much nonsense, and sounds like something you might have heard 100 years ago. Being 'feral' is not a genetic condition, or an inherited trait. It's a result of birth circumstances, exposure to humans (or the lack of it), other cats, it's own temperament, etc. As for color patterns, that has nothing whatsoever to do with whether they are feral, or happy housecats. Color & coat type is a matter of genetics, and nothing else.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:45 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Yep, bonkers... at least when it comes to cats. What she's telling you is pretty much nonsense, and sounds like something you might have heard 100 years ago. Being 'feral' is not a genetic condition, or an inherited trait. It's a result of birth circumstances, exposure to humans (or the lack of it), other cats, it's own temperament, etc. As for color patterns, that has nothing whatsoever to do with whether they are feral, or happy housecats. Color & coat type is a matter of genetics, and nothing else.
If anyone remembers it, there was researcher in Russia who bred foxes, trying for a more docile, domesticated animal. One of the things that went hand-in-hand with friendly foxes was white splotches in the fur, so I am not sure I would consider anything mixed with white to be "wild-looking." In any case, weird things can happen with cats. A neighbor called me years ago, asking me to see if I could trap a mama cat and some kittens that were living under the porch of a vacant house next door to her. The mama cat was black and white, friendly, and clearly an abandoned pet. The kittens mostly looked like her, except for one, which looked exactly like a pure-bred seal point Siamese. There was a big old Himalayan tom around at the time, the terror of the neighborhood, and obviously some of his genes chose that generation as a good time to reassert themselves.

If I put any credence in the color of a cat as indication of wildness, I would look first at my own little Mouse. She is an agouti, and looks more a wild animal than any pet I have ever had. She is also made of Velcro.

It would take many, many generations for feral cats to return to some sort of "natural" coloring. It might not even happen then.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:22 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

As for her choice of perches.....aside from the fact that a where a cat chooses to rest is entirely up to the cat and some spots will always be a mystery to humans, I'd hazard a guess that she is making sure that everything, EVERYTHING, every surface she can rest her bod on, will be scented with her scent.

This is comforting to her, that everything has her scent. She's been out in a world where nothing smelled like her, and many things probably smell like other cats and other animals.

She wants those books, that toilet seat, and every other spot, to have HER scent. This is HER territory and the world is going to know it.

Her igloo bed already has her scent, so physical cozy comfort can wait, she has work to do.
Yes and they just want to be where they want to be sometimes. I also have worried about how can that be comfortable? and if I remove the plastic bag that is bumpy or whatever and replace with a makeshift bed sometimes that is welcomed, and other times I have RUINED EVERYTHING, leave me BE, hoomin. I don't think we can ever totally understand all of their ways.........

Old 12-17-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Right. If a fully domesticated cat is tossed out and has to have her babies outside they will be feral if they are not socialized with humans but it wasn't passed on. It's acquired or not. Or rather, being socialized with humans either happens or doesn't. And I don't believe there is such a thing as one that cannot be domesticated.

I worked on one feral for two years because he needed medical attention. Lots of hard work, ups and downs, waiting not seeing him for months, a bite (don't touch me!) and suddenly one day a head bump. And it was all over. I could pick him up, put him in a carrier, whatever I wanted. Trust was earned.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:31 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
When my cat started sleeping in weird places and only on hard objects, she was on her last legs. She soon disappeared.

I think to be on the safe side, you should take her to the vet. She may have some medical issue that is causing her discomfort and to want cool, hard surfaces, instead of soft warm ones.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:23 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

She is a bit bonkers. But she thinks of herself as a cat expert. She knows SOME things. But some stuff she says is truly outlandish.

I have fed ferals for twenty years. I have also done TNR - Trap Neuter Release.

I have to say, and this is purely anecdotal - that I did not see many orange tabbies, black cats, calico cats, tuxedo cats or torties. Most did seen to fit this description. Kind of non-descript gray and white tabbies.

But that was just my experience.

I can not understand how being "feral" can be inherited. It does not make sense.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
She is a bit bonkers. But she thinks of herself as a cat expert. She knows SOME things. But some stuff she says is truly outlandish.

I have fed ferals for twenty years. I have also done TNR - Trap Neuter Release.

I have to say, and this is purely anecdotal - that I did not see many orange tabbies, black cats, calico cats, tuxedo cats or torties. Most did seen to fit this description. Kind of non-descript gray and white tabbies.

But that was just my experience.

I can not understand how being "feral" can be inherited. It does not make sense.
There is a colony near here. Before my most household member, they used to come over here a lot too. I saw every different kind. There is absolutely -0- credibility in which type of cat is more likely to be feral. Possibly someone could say they see more Tabbies, simply because there are so many Tabbies in general.

My feral Tom was a Tabby and I am sure he created lots of litters when he was young and not ill. He was big Tom on the block(s) before he got ill. Sad to see him decline. I had thought he had a home, and maybe he did at first.

I adopted his successor, and neutered him, or there would be more like him out there......one of them blew my mind! I adopted a 'dilute calico' from the pound, not yet neutered, and she had unique markings. All the Toms came around, of course, the most startling being her male twin. Petite like her and same markings. Very polite as well. Unlike the others, he just sat outside like 'May I date your daughter?' No sir, I appreciate your courtesy, but no...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats