Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 07:31 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,440 times

Advertisements

I've had a couple of cats do this. Sometimes they get "bursts of energy." We had cats that are no longer with us that used to run across the whole house full speed in like three seconds back and forth a lot. One climbed the doorframe with just her paws and claws... impressive! Now one of them does what one did.. looks like they are playing "cat basketball" with things that aren't there.

What are they DOING!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 08:51 AM

165 posts, read 122,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
I've had a couple of cats do this. Sometimes they get "bursts of energy." We had cats that are no longer with us that used to run across the whole house full speed in like three seconds back and forth a lot. One climbed the doorframe with just her paws and claws... impressive! Now one of them does what one did.. looks like they are playing "cat basketball" with things that aren't there.

What are they DOING!?
Pretty much what you said. They get bursts of energy. They are natural predators and cats hunt and expend energy in short bursts. For an animal that sleeps as much as cats do, they have to get that energy out one way or another. My cat Maya is a pretty chill cat, but she's not above running around like a lunatic once in a while. She mostly does it during the day, thank god (if she does it at night, I sleep through it). If you play with your cat often, it might cut down some of that because you're tiring them out.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:50 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,583,795 times
Yep, expending energy. I love to watch George do this around the house. Sometimes I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:37 AM

165 posts, read 122,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfour View Post
Yep, expending energy. I love to watch George do this around the house. Sometimes I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself.
Maya one day was darting around like a lunatic in my bedroom. She ran square into the frame of my closet door at full speed. I got it on video. One of those sounds that you hear the loud thud and say "oooooo. That has to hurt." She was alright thankfully.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:21 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post

What are they DOING!?

They are PLAYING!

Old 12-25-2017, 10:35 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Aren't they fun...?

watching them is better than any movie...

Old 12-25-2017, 10:45 AM

2,182 posts, read 2,319,833 times
Our dogs do this. I always figure they're just burning up unused adrenaline. So hilarious! Makes me want to exercise every time. LOL

Old 12-25-2017, 11:15 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times
Our skyguy loves to play in the brown packing paper that Amazon uses in their boxes. I have some in the living room that he hides in, and in the computer room down the hall. Most mornings Skyguy zooms full-throttle from the living room paper, down the hall and into the computer room paper and back again for like a full fifteen minutes. We call it Fluffy tail mode because a lot of times his tail is puffed out when he's running around like that. Then he crashes for hours and hours afterward.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:54 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
I tell you what, I'd sure enough rather have them run around like crazies in the morning than do it at 3 AM. At least in the morning I'm awake (or maybe half-awake, depending on how early they start) and recognize what's going on. At 3 AM I sometimes wonder if there's a person breaking into the house! Then I think to myself. "What self-respecting burglar would make SO much noise?", and I go back to sleep.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:03 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I tell you what, I'd sure enough rather have them run around like crazies in the morning than do it at 3 AM. At least in the morning I'm awake (or maybe half-awake, depending on how early they start) and recognize what's going on. At 3 AM I sometimes wonder if there's a person breaking into the house! Then I think to myself. "What self-respecting burglar would make SO much noise?", and I go back to sleep.
Oh, Lord, forgive me...a cat burglar, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats