Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 10:53 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times

Advertisements

I just learned about this yesterday. If you have cats or spend time around cats, you must not use Rogaine, or anything else containing Minoxidil.

https://www.petplace.com/article/cat...toxicity-cats/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 11:18 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Thanks for the info...

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I just learned about this yesterday. If you have cats or spend time around cats, you must not use Rogaine, or anything else containing Minoxidil.

https://www.petplace.com/article/cat...toxicity-cats/

Old 12-26-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thanks for the info...

[/b]
You're welcome.

I feel like I really dodged a bullet with this one. My mom had thinning hair, and as mine is quite fine, I got some of that stuff several months ago, and then, after reading the instructions, decided that it sounded like a huge hassle, and that maybe I just needed to get my roots touched up more often (I've been going gray since my 30s.) I am SO glad I didn't use it, as my cats all sleep with me, and one loves to lick my hair. Five minutes after I read that article, the Rogaine was in the garbage bin.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:04 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
I happen to be one of the lucky guys that doesn't have a hair loss issue, but many others do. This is a good heads-up for everyone, thanks for posting.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:14 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,922,669 times
I had no idea. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:15 PM

165 posts, read 122,296 times
Welp, when my dad's baldness genes kick in, I guess I'll just have to get a really nice toupee.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:01 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
OP, I respect your opinion and your thoughts on this, but the article you linked to doesn't really justify this level of panic, IMHO. I've never used the drug (and hope never to have to!), but the cases appear to all be either (a) spilled drug ingested by the cats (not sure why the owner didn't clean it up right away before the cats could get to it), or (b) an owner thinking that the drug may help the kitty grow hair and using it ON them. Most people would not do either of those things.

Again according to the article, there have been only six reported cases since 2001. Granted, there were probably a lot more that WEREN'T reported, and it's a horrible tragedy for those kitties who WERE affected (or died ), but assuming you don't spill the drug and leave the spill OR use the drug on your animal, you should be OK.

I feel like I'm missing something in that article that might justify a blanket "never use this drug" response? The article ends by saying, "The best preventive care is to give your cat medications only if directed by your veterinarian. Medications that may be safe for people can be fatal to pets. Also, make sure that all medications are kept out of the reach of inquisitive pets. Keeping medicine safely stored away can prevent many tragedies." Those seem like common-sense solutions to me ... no?

Old 12-29-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, I respect your opinion and your thoughts on this, but the article you linked to doesn't really justify this level of panic, IMHO. I've never used the drug (and hope never to have to!), but the cases appear to all be either (a) spilled drug ingested by the cats (not sure why the owner didn't clean it up right away before the cats could get to it), or (b) an owner thinking that the drug may help the kitty grow hair and using it ON them. Most people would not do either of those things.

Again according to the article, there have been only six reported cases since 2001. Granted, there were probably a lot more that WEREN'T reported, and it's a horrible tragedy for those kitties who WERE affected (or died ), but assuming you don't spill the drug and leave the spill OR use the drug on your animal, you should be OK.

I feel like I'm missing something in that article that might justify a blanket "never use this drug" response? The article ends by saying, "The best preventive care is to give your cat medications only if directed by your veterinarian. Medications that may be safe for people can be fatal to pets. Also, make sure that all medications are kept out of the reach of inquisitive pets. Keeping medicine safely stored away can prevent many tragedies." Those seem like common-sense solutions to me ... no?
I agree that drugs should be kept away from pets. The thing about Rogaine is that you apply it to the hair and leave it on. Many cats, including one of mine, like to groom their owners, and sometimes lick their hair. To me, it is not worth the risk.

I hope that addresses your concern about my "panic."

Old 12-29-2017, 07:00 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

No one's bald (or balding) in this house, but I read that article, too.

It's not news that minoxidil is extremely toxic to cats, if ingested. And that can be orally or topically. If a cat is walking through spilled Rogaine, he's most likely going to lick it off his paws while grooming. He could do the same thing if a foolish owner applied it to him, as was the case in the article. Even if those spots were beyond the cat's reach for licking, this stuff os absorbed via the skin--that IS the delivery mechanism for humans, after all. And I suppose the Rogaine could also transfer from one's head to pillows, and then to cats (if you allow them on your pillows; we don't).

Bottom line: This doesn't mean that "people with cats shouldn't use Minoxidil." Be careful, don't apply it to cats, and don't spill it.

Stop the insanity.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
No one's bald (or balding) in this house, but I read that article, too.

It's not news that minoxidil is extremely toxic to cats, if ingested. And that can be orally or topically. If a cat is walking through spilled Rogaine, he's most likely going to lick it off his paws while grooming. He could do the same thing if a foolish owner applied it to him, as was the case in the article. Even if those spots were beyond the cat's reach for licking, this stuff os absorbed via the skin--that IS the delivery mechanism for humans, after all. And I suppose the Rogaine could also transfer from one's head to pillows, and then to cats (if you allow them on your pillows; we don't).

Bottom line: This doesn't mean that "people with cats shouldn't use Minoxidil." Be careful, don't apply it to cats, and don't spill it.

Stop the insanity.
I explained why it would be a matter of concern for me: I have cats that groom me, try to lick my hair, and sleep curled next to my head. I'm pretty sure I am not alone in this, as most cats will do these things, given the opportunity. You may not allow it, but lots of cat owners do.

I shared the article so people would know. I did not. What they do with that information is their decision, of course, but for me and my cats, it would be an unacceptable risk, for the reasons given above. If the comments I added in my post seem alarmist to you, I am sorry, but I prefer to err, if err I must, on the side of caution. You may call it insanity. I call it playing it safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats