Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 03:11 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I seem to recall that cats have some sort of toxin (oil/secretions) on their claws that can cause a mild infection. I don't know if that's the case or not, or if it applies to all cats or just certain ones. I've been scratched many times by my resident hooligans, and only once or twice did any infection settle in... and that was because I didn't put anything on it quickly enough. Also possible that not all humans will react to whatever is on their claws the same way.
Anyway OP, as the others have said, you shouldn't have anything to worry about because you treated it quickly.
catdad, I love the description of "resident hooligans" they surely are.

Thankfully I have never had a bad reaction to numerous cat bites & scrathces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 04:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
catdad, I love the description of "resident hooligans" they surely are.

Thankfully I have never had a bad reaction to numerous cat bites & scrathces.
Cat bites are something to watch, for sure. Usually they are ok, but they can inject bacteria deep down. I had to go to the ER for one. I needed an antibiotic shot and oral antibiotics. They can turn really bad staph.

I haven't had a problem with scratches. In fact some of them I wished would have scarred. For many months I had to give meds to a cat that would leaves scratches when she pushed my hand back. 'No med, mama'. When she died, I hated for the evidence of her on my hand to fade...........

Old 01-14-2018, 06:11 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Cat bites are something to watch, for sure. Usually they are ok, but they can inject bacteria deep down. I had to go to the ER for one. I needed an antibiotic shot and oral antibiotics. They can turn really bad staph.

I haven't had a problem with scratches. In fact some of them I wished would have scarred. For many months I had to give meds to a cat that would leaves scratches when she pushed my hand back. 'No med, mama'. When she died, I hated for the evidence of her on my hand to fade...........
...it may have faded from your hand Jencam, but it sounds as though it will leave a scar on your heart. That's what they do to us, with the love they give. You won't forget.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:55 PM

343 posts, read 229,649 times
I think you are probably be alright but you should trap them and get them vaccines for rabies. If the cat bit you no one here would be saying a casual wait and see response is ok. The cat would need to be trapped and kept isolated at your expense to see if signs of rabies developed. You'd be constantly fearful. It's just better to trap and vaccinate (and spay neuter if you can).

Old 01-15-2018, 12:46 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndCatsForAll View Post
I think you are probably be alright but you should trap them and get them vaccines for rabies. If the cat bit you no one here would be saying a casual wait and see response is ok. The cat would need to be trapped and kept isolated at your expense to see if signs of rabies developed. You'd be constantly fearful. It's just better to trap and vaccinate (and spay neuter if you can).
You're absolutely right. Penetrating bites, especially from a stray/feral cat, are a whole different ball game. My boss at my workplace got bit on the fingertip by a 9 month old 'resident stray' cat. It actually penetrated his fingernail. He didn't treat it like he should have, so the nail bed got infected and he ended up going to the Dr. for treatment. Antibiotics cured it, but he almost lost that fingernail. And it hurt like heck for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats