Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 10:33 AM

370 posts, read 504,912 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Lately, I have been thinking of my beloved Jack who passed away in 2015. I absolutely cannot believe it will be 3 years in October since he has been gone. I often think of the things I do now with Maxwell, my loved orange kitty, that I wish I had done with Jack.

I thought maybe today we can start a thread on here to pass on wisdom to each other..things we messed up on with our loved cats - and pass on that information.

For me, the biggest regret I have for Jack is I wish I fed him better food. It turns out he had a condition that made him digest that grocery store dry food awful. I learned if a bag of cat food cost me 5 bucks for a two pound bag..it's not that best. I remember pouring the dry food in a bowl and all those bright color food - I still get upset thinking of it. Jack was constantly going to the Vet once a year for upset tummy issues, constipation problems. When he got to be a senior he could no longer tolerate it and it was then discovered just how bad that cheap grocery store food is through my Vet.

I now spend about $ 24 for a bag (which back then I thought would be nuts to spend) Maxwell -I have had him for four years now - has not gone to the Vet once..except for his shots. For that amount I spend, it takes him about 3 weeks until I have to buy a new bag...and it's worth it. I rather spend money on good quality food than cheap, bad, and dangerous food.

It's a huge lesson I learned and now make sure I carry on that knowledge when I buy my buddy food

What other tips do you have, that you learned through the years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 12:14 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieLand09 View Post
Hello,

Lately, I have been thinking of my beloved Jack who passed away in 2015. I absolutely cannot believe it will be 3 years in October since he has been gone. I often think of the things I do now with Maxwell, my loved orange kitty, that I wish I had done with Jack.

I thought maybe today we can start a thread on here to pass on wisdom to each other..things we messed up on with our loved cats - and pass on that information.

For me, the biggest regret I have for Jack is I wish I fed him better food. It turns out he had a condition that made him digest that grocery store dry food awful. I learned if a bag of cat food cost me 5 bucks for a two pound bag..it's not that best. I remember pouring the dry food in a bowl and all those bright color food - I still get upset thinking of it. Jack was constantly going to the Vet once a year for upset tummy issues, constipation problems. When he got to be a senior he could no longer tolerate it and it was then discovered just how bad that cheap grocery store food is through my Vet.

I now spend about $ 24 for a bag (which back then I thought would be nuts to spend) Maxwell -I have had him for four years now - has not gone to the Vet once..except for his shots. For that amount I spend, it takes him about 3 weeks until I have to buy a new bag...and it's worth it. I rather spend money on good quality food than cheap, bad, and dangerous food.

It's a huge lesson I learned and now make sure I carry on that knowledge when I buy my buddy food

What other tips do you have, that you learned through the years?
The best advice I have to offer, since you are clearly willing and able to make an investment in your cat's health, is that you switch to a wet food, or better still, a raw diet. Expensive, vet-recommended kibble is still kibble, and it's not the best you can do for your friend.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:47 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
My cat lover career began when I met my wife back in the mid 80's. In short order we ended up with multiple cats (and a few dogs). Neither of us were aware of the things we could have been doing better, for their sake. The biggest thing, of course, was feeding them dry food along with daily wet food. We were getting them on all wet about the time my wife passed away, and I eventually finished the job.

The other regret was having them be indoor/outdoor. Even though our large property and our location minimized the risk to them, there was still risk, and we lost 2 cats because of it. To make a long story short, I was finally able permanently close that cat door 3 years ago. I do not recommend having in-out cats, but it did allow us to have more cats, and still live in relative peace.

There are times, after one has gone to the Bridge, that I worry that I didn't show him or her enough love & affection. Even though I know I did, there's still that nagging doubt. I suppose it's all part of the grief we feel when they are no longer with us.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:27 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Annual wellness exams are a MUST! My cat is 7 and has had one every year, starting with a post-adopt exam 2 weeks after I adopted her. In 2015 and 2016 both years the vet found teeth that needed to come out, so she had dental extractions and cleanings (she won't let me get a good look). She got a clean bill of health on her teeth last year, we'll see what the vet says when she goes in on February 10.

Also, stagger vaccinations. Shelly gets both rabies and FVRCP, 3 years for one and 4 years for the other. When she had both done in 2015 we did them 2 weeks apart. She's due for her rabies in 2 weeks, and I'm considering titering her next year for the FVRCP.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:12 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
No tips-but regrets.

I was just thinking of the "Fab Four" (Bear, Sheena, Swatcha, & Brandy) today. They were with me during the tough times. They had to go into a kennel for a few weeks (thanks to my ex). I had to go out of the country for 9 months but luckily my mother helped me out and "cat sat" for me all that time. (I sent her "kitty support.") First we had to take a flight half-way across country to get to her place. When I came home, I moved into my own place and brought the 4 of them with me. Unfortunately, money was REALLY tight at the time. I remember one time I could only feed them tuna. I know they LOVED it but one can for the 4 of them wasn't a lot. I was able to find a cheapo bag of cat food. I found out why it was cheapo. The poor cats hated it. I remember watching them eat it and it was obvious that they hated it but knew that is what there was.

I hope they knew that I did the best I could. Maybe they would have been better off in another home but I couldn't handle losing them (which is why my mother took care of them-she knew.)

Oh, and the four of them sent me a Mother's Day card when I was overseas.

Cat

Old 01-28-2018, 05:46 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,468 times
If raw isn.t do-able, at least buy grain-free cat food. Make the switch gradually.
I did this with my Bombay, I saw him behave better as well as the quantity of food he needed lowered drastically. He was less nippy and cranky on better food. I tell everyone I know this information.
Also spend at least 20 minutes a day on just quality time.
Never use plastic bowls: feline acne usually on the chin (like blackheads) will likely erupt.
Always separate food and water bowls, even if placed diagonally 2 feet away. Lions in the wild keep their food away from the water source and domesticated cats continue the trait.
Give as few vaccinations as possible. Was just listening to a radio talkshow about pets dying over routine vaccinations.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:26 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
1. Wet food means healthier kitties and fewer vet bills! I learned this the hard way over the years.

2. DO NOT DECLAW YOUR CAT! Many years ago I declawed our Tucker before I knew any better. I will never do it again. It is not hard to train cats to use scratching posts/pads. And they will be happier kitties.

3. Playtime with your cat is important. Cats need mental simulation and to release their pent-up energy. It's good bonding time and it's fun for the humans too!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:49 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Love them, protect them and take as good care of them as you can. Do not try to make them into something they are not.

It will be nine years since TwoStep left. She was a tiny, long haired tortie who never really grew up. A soft spoken snuggler. A vicious hunter. She will never be forgotten or replaced but she is fine with her humans having furries in their lives.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:55 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,356,933 times
Feed the best food you can afford. The money you spend on good food and nutrition is an investment that will last their whole lives.

Teach kittens to accept getting their claws clipped, and also train them to use scratching posts. This early training will save you a lifetime of furniture.

Cats are both predator and prey, therefore they have elements of both types of psychology.

Never, ever punish a cat. Cats learn best with trust, and punishment destroys trust and makes it harder for the cat to learn what you want it to do. Cats have very good memories, and one bad experience can take weeks or months to undo. Positive reinforcement and trust are the best way to train any animal, but cats in particular are more sensitive and thus need special care and infinite amounts of patience.

Playtime is not optional; it is a requirement. Most cats enjoy and want to play with their owners. Try different types of toys to learn your cat's preferences. Change things up often. Put high-value toys away so that they are extra-special when they are taken out again.

Engage your cat. Train it to do things, like come, sit, jump up, jump down. Let it be part of what you are doing. Offer it different things to smell and to engage their senses.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:39 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
There's a good documentary on Netflix that I found and watched over the weekend, called The Lion in Your Living Room. It packs a lot into 50 minutes.

I kept it on my My List because I may watch it again. Lots of cute kitties in it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats