Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 11:15 PM

779 posts, read 472,138 times

Advertisements

So, I know I'm probably being completely paranoid, but I had bought lilies for my GF the other day. After processing this tonight, I remembered that they are extremely poisonous to cats (I had them up and away from where she could get to them). I tossed them in the garbage in the garage (grabbed them by the stems) and then proceeded to pick up my cat without washing them.

I know I might be crazy, but does this pose a problem? Reading about lilies it says that all parts of the lily are extremely dangerous and deadly to cats. Thoughts? Me and my GF will be around the next several days with kitty, so we will be able to monitor behavioral changes, but I'm worried. And yes, I'm cat-crazy!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 11:42 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
I wouldn't worry about it.

Most lilies, and their cousin, onions are toxic if cats ingest them, but I doubt if your hands transferred enough to even be noticeable.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I remember last year I thought it was the end of the road for my cat as he just looked and acted very sick, brought him to the vet who did a bunch of tests and then asked me if there were any new flowers in the house well as it was mothers day the previous week there were a large bunch of flowers on the kitchen table, on closer inspection all the lily buds had been eaten. Cost me $400 to get that piece of info. tossed those flowers in the garbage. Dusty has been feeling fine ever since.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:22 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,455 times
I would clean the area where the flowers had been. I think the pollen is also extremely toxic.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:32 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
So, I know I'm probably being completely paranoid, but I had bought lilies for my GF the other day. After processing this tonight, I remembered that they are extremely poisonous to cats (I had them up and away from where she could get to them). I tossed them in the garbage in the garage (grabbed them by the stems) and then proceeded to pick up my cat without washing them.

I know I might be crazy, but does this pose a problem? Reading about lilies it says that all parts of the lily are extremely dangerous and deadly to cats. Thoughts? Me and my GF will be around the next several days with kitty, so we will be able to monitor behavioral changes, but I'm worried. And yes, I'm cat-crazy!!!!
You are not being paranoid. Lilies ARE that toxic, that your cat may be at risk.

Did you wipe her down after you realized?

Keep a list of the symptoms to watch for in front of you. If you are the least bit concerned something isn't right with her take her straight to the vet.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:16 AM

Thanks everyone. Yes, I wiped down the area where the flowers were. They were up high and no petals fell. She never had access to them. I was just worried about touching the stems and then her. Still am worried, but no behavioral changes. I will continue to monitor closely at this point for the next several days.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:20 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
I meant, did you wipe her down, after you realized? Because it's the washing herself that will do it, if you had any toxins on your hands when you picked her up.

Glad she's doing okay

Last edited by catsmom21; 02-17-2018 at 09:46 AM..

Old 02-17-2018, 12:39 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
We used to have lilies in our back yard, a feral colony co existed.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I meant, did you wipe her down, after you realized? Because it's the washing herself that will do it, if you had any toxins on your hands when you picked her up.

Glad she's doing okay
I did wipe her down with a dry terry cloth and then brushed her. She's still doing fine.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:11 PM

343 posts, read 229,710 times
It doesn't sound like the cat consumed any of the plant. You were not being over-cautious imo. It's best not to bring in any plants that are toxic to cats.

My friends got a bouquet of lilies from as a gift from family. They put it on the dining table because the cat was trained not to go on the table but of course the plants were too much temptation. The cat jumped up nibbled and got terribly ill needing veterinary hospitalization. They only left the cat alone in the room with the lilies while they finished unloading the car of their suitcases but it chewed enough to get very ill. It's just not worth it.

I don't believe they are so toxic that you can cross-contaminate by touching the plant and then the cat. I think it would take actual consumption but if you have any doubts you can call your vet and ask. If you are a regular customer (taking your pet in for wellness checks etc) they will likely tell you what symptoms to look out for and have you bring the cat in if they show signs of illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats