Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 07:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,146 times

Advertisements

my indoor cat, who never interacted with other cats, is in heat. The other day a stray cat managed to get inside and she was ready to mate with him, she didn't tho. But when we brought her a cat, she kept hissing and growling. And i don't know how to get her to accept him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 08:22 AM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladycat547 View Post
my indoor cat, who never interacted with other cats, is in heat. The other day a stray cat managed to get inside and she was ready to mate with him, she didn't tho. But when we brought her a cat, she kept hissing and growling. And i don't know how to get her to accept him?
Please take your cat to the vet and have her spayed right away.

She should be kept separate from any intact male cat until then, but you need to have her spayed now, immediately.

If you are keeping the male he needs to be neutered as well, but the spay is more important right now.

After she is spayed you can plan to do a slow introduction with her and any new cat you want to bring in.

But all cats should be spayed and neutered before starting.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,146 times
i know i was gonna have her spayed but got in heat pretty early and the vet said its dangerous too spay her while she's in heat and apparently it doesn't go away until she mates. But the main problem is that she doesn't accept other cats like at all. I brought home once a cat and she kept hissing and growling aggressively. I even tried the slow introduction but it's not working

Old 02-17-2018, 09:33 AM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
You have been misinformed about some things. If she mates, she gets pregnant, but she remains in heat. She remains in heat until her cycle is over, whether she mates or not.

Cats can carry kittens from more than one tom, all at once.

Please, do NOT let your cat and this stray cat together,. EVER. You don't know what illnesses this male cat may have. Your cat (or kitten) does not need to become pregnant.

Spays can be done while a cat is in heat. You can find another vet to spay her, or, schedule the spay for next week and just keep them separated until then.

Do not let an unknown stray near your cat.

If you are planning to adopt this male stray he needs to be taken to the vet, tested for diseases, vaccinated, and neutered, before any introductions are made.

Quote:
i know i was gonna have her spayed but got in heat pretty early and the vet said its dangerous too spay her while she's in heat and apparently it doesn't go away until she mates. But the main problem is that she doesn't accept other cats like at all. I brought home once a cat and she kept hissing and growling aggressively. I even tried the slow introduction but it's not working

If your vet actually said those things, you need a different vet. Sounds like this vet is not very well educated about cats.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:09 AM

127,513 posts, read 11,752,764 times
I agree, get a new vet & an opinion, our kitten was recently spayed, she was in heat, & the vet said it was OK to spay her, & we were lucky she was not on full blown heat, so he did not charge us more. I was glad to get it done, because her calling for a mate was driving me mad, doesn't her howling annoy you? Plus why are you running the chance of more kittens?

Old 02-17-2018, 11:24 AM

36,962 posts, read 40,892,726 times
Why do you want kittens? Why create more that will just need to be found homes while other cats are being euthanized?

Old 02-17-2018, 11:39 AM

23,875 posts, read 10,243,014 times
Quote:
To put it bluntly - blind dates not always work out. Kitchen table breeder should have to go through the process themselves!
Your vet is a clueless person!!!!! Once she is done "singing the song of her people" take her to a vet who knows about cats and get her spayed unless you are prepared to properly care for a litter financially, emotionally ans space wise.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:38 PM

6,916 posts, read 3,887,295 times
Quote:
Cats can go into heat as early as at a few months old. My own cat was spayed at 3 months by her 1st owner, and if she hadn't been, the shelter I got her from would done it before they adopted her out.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:36 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,238,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
You have been misinformed about some things. If she mates, she gets pregnant, but she remains in heat. She remains in heat until her cycle is over, whether she mates or not.

Cats can carry kittens from more than one tom, all at once.

Please, do NOT let your cat and this stray cat together,. EVER. You don't know what illnesses this male cat may have. Your cat (or kitten) does not need to become pregnant.

Spays can be done while a cat is in heat. You can find another vet to spay her, or, schedule the spay for next week and just keep them separated until then.

Do not let an unknown stray near your cat.

If you are planning to adopt this male stray he needs to be taken to the vet, tested for diseases, vaccinated, and neutered, before any introductions are made.

If your vet actually said those things, you need a different vet. Sounds like this vet is not very well educated about cats.

Yep, and she quite probably will come into heat more than once or twice a year. Do yourself and your cat a huge favor, and get her spayed. Hopefully you can find another vet to do it... one that knows more about cats than your current one ().

Old 02-17-2018, 06:47 PM

17,260 posts, read 11,074,476 times
Quote:
For goodness sake, be a gown up and get your cat fixed. Until then you are irresponsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats