Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:00 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I actually jokingly asked my vet on my last visit if she did house calls. She actually said she did, which surprised me, though there's an extra charge for it of course.
I will ask. My old vet did it but my cat screamed bloody murder when they tried to get blood out of him and I had to pay to bring him in and be put out. However, I feel like my cat is too old to be killing myself (13 years old) to get him blood work. He has lived a good long life and it probably will be more traumatic to take him in.

My main goal is that he needs asthma medication and I have been told they will be happy to give him another prescription as long as they take a look at him and determine he doesn't like have blood coming out his eyes but don't want to do it if he looks sickly or is breathing hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 04:02 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I will ask. My old vet did it but my cat screamed bloody murder when they tried to get blood out of him and I had to pay to bring him in and be put out. However, I feel like my cat is too old to be killing myself (13 years old) to get him blood work. He has lived a good long life and it probably will be more traumatic to take him in.

My main goal is that he needs asthma medication and I have been told they will be happy to give him another prescription as long as they take a look at him and determine he doesn't like have blood coming out his eyes but don't want to do it if he looks sickly or is breathing hard.
13 Isn't old for a cat at all. Even if he is traumatized it will only be for a short while. He could have a number of good years left. I can't imagine how awful it would be not to be able to breathe, please take him in and get him his medicine. It's the best thing for him.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:17 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
I had 2 cats that walked w/ leashes on (in the yard), infrequently though, but they both did great w/ it.

I had 1 that refused, pulled, jumped, went nutty and that was the last time.

I guess it's very dependent on cat.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:41 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Well you may all remember I was trying to teach my older cat to walk on a harness. I purchased a velcro harness. I thought I was safety proof.

However, today, going down the stairs my cat slipped and somehow the harness came up and was strangling my cat in the mouth, my cat was screaming and literally jumping, making it all the worse. I had to get in there and pull the velcro but in doing so my cat bit me HARD on both hands. I got it off and my cat went running. He appears ok.

I am not so much. I had to go to the doctor and get antibiotics. Now my hands have swollen and are hard to move.

I am FURIOUS with the harness. It was sold to me as the safest but the way my cat slipped sent the whole thing tightly forward on her mouth -- I swear the only way possible to do this. I am grateful that it was easy to get off but bitter as I think the velcro made it easier to slide up than a traditional one.

Forget that idea.

What a terrible experience!

I was determined to try a harness because I felt bad that our cat saw the dog going outdoors lol. But I was never comfortable with it. The cat is a long orange tabby, and the harness looks so "short" on him--as if it would slip off. I've even heard of the Kitty Harness slipping off occasionally.

As much as I'd like the cat to adjust to a harness, I can't chance his slipping out of it. We have an orchard, with coyotes, behind the house, and I don't want to set him up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats