Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 01:09 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
The boxes are 23" long and 6" tall. I have 6 cats. They all do their business pretty much in the middle. The only litter I have on the floor, is a little bit when they exit the box. It is such a small amount, I don't bother with litter mats.

Where do you put your litter boxes, where you don't have to bend over?
Mostly it means raising them up off the floor, so you don't have to bend over quite so far. What would be nice (for me anyway) would be room enough for a dinette type table for the litter box, with stairs/steps for the cats could walk up to get to it. Unfortunately, I don't have that extra space available. Not sure my girls would go for it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 01:27 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Mostly it means raising them up off the floor, so you don't have to bend over quite so far. What would be nice (for me anyway) would be room enough for a dinette type table for the litter box, with stairs/steps for the cats could walk up to get to it. Unfortunately, I don't have that extra space available. Not sure my girls would go for it anyway.
If I didn't live with other humans, and never had guests... I'd eat at the kitchen counter, and put all the litter boxes on the kitchen table!

Old 03-13-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
If I didn't live with other humans, and never had guests... I'd eat at the kitchen counter, and put all the litter boxes on the kitchen table!

Hmmm.... I do live alone.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:21 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Quote:
Hmmm.... I do live alone.

Go for it! I double dog dare ya.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:49 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
My litter boxes are elevated. 18 inches. There is a stool to hop on to break up the jump for my senior girl with arthritis. She can still actually jump up (and down) much higher than 18 inches, but the stool is for so she doesn't have to if she doesn't want to. Someday she may need more accommodation. But not so far.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Go for it! I double dog dare ya.
Well, after careful consideration... and realizing I have no where else to eat...... I think I'll just leave the boxes where they are. I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Old 03-14-2018, 01:22 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
I use the Rubbermaid 30+ gallon storage containers too. The high sides keep the litter in the Loo. And theyre sturdy enuf that you can lean on the edge.

I keep my old kitties box in the laundry room. I cut a hole in the side for her so she can step in then I put the lid back on so the other cats cant knock clothes and stuff in the box. BTW. Works much better than a covered litterbox. Hate those things.

That revolving contraption wouldn't last at my house. The "boys" would have it on its back in 10 seconds flat.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:24 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
That's a very good solution if someone has bending issues. Unfortunately for me, my girls are all seniors and elevated boxes would be problematic, I'm afraid. Years ago when they were younger, we had the boxes raised up to keep our Yorkies out of them. They were quite a bit more convenient to scoop, and the cats didn't have a problem with them. But the dogs are gone now, and the girls are older, crankier, and all about comfort & convenience. So the boxes stay on the floor. I can handle it for now, but I may have to work on a want-ad for a part-time Litter Scooper (no experience necessary-will train).
In a store called PetValu I saw a telescoping scoop. It was a bit pricey and I've never seen one elsewhere, but the salesgirl said her mother worked in a shelter and using it had saved her a lot of backache. Maybe something as simple as sitting and using a long-handled scoop would help you and the old girls can stay on the floor.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
In a store called PetValu I saw a telescoping scoop. It was a bit pricey and I've never seen one elsewhere, but the salesgirl said her mother worked in a shelter and using it had saved her a lot of backache. Maybe something as simple as sitting and using a long-handled scoop would help you and the old girls can stay on the floor.
I appreciate your thoughtful reply, and your suggestion sounds like a good one. A telescoping scoop might work very well for me. I have fairly good mechanical abilities, so if I can't find one, I'll just make one. Thanks for the idea, and I wonder why that never occurred to me before.

Living with COPD is all about changing how you do everyday things to limit movement & exertion. It's a learning process, and I'm always open to suggestions. Thanks again.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:19 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
I appreciate your thoughtful reply, and your suggestion sounds like a good one. A telescoping scoop might work very well for me. I have fairly good mechanical abilities, so if I can't find one, I'll just make one. Thanks for the idea, and I wonder why that never occurred to me before.

Living with COPD is all about changing how you do everyday things to limit movement & exertion. It's a learning process, and I'm always open to suggestions. Thanks again.
You're welcome. I didn't know you had COPD, so now I'm glad I mentioned it to you and I hope it does help you and the kitties.

I'm going to include a link to the one I saw (that neither of us can buy online). I didn't like it being metal and if you make one, I'd love to see a pic or have your instructions. I'm only 5 feet tall, so that 30+ inch length was perfect.

http://us.petvalu.com/product/150076...coop-cats-rule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats