Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 11:11 PM

387 posts, read 607,813 times

Advertisements

We have 2 cats. The male, when he uses the litterbox he hardly smells at all, but the FEMALE, whenever she goes I find myself coughing and gagging and I have to get out of there before the smell kills me lol, that's how bad it is. It is literally the WORST smell I have ever smelled in my life heh.

Anyone else have this kind of disproportionate smell? The litter takes care of it really fast, but wondering if other people have this too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 11:37 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
My cat began developing severe GI problems and one of the symptoms was the most foul-smelling poops imaginable. I joked at the time that if we could bottle that stuff up, we could clear out ISIS from the Middle East.

Seriously, he would go to the litter box at like 6am, and this toxic smell would wake me from a dead sleep. I would run to the litter box, and then drag it outside and leave it on the patio just to get the smell out of the house.

The solution was ultimately to put him on a raw diet. Once he was switched to this diet, his poops were very small and virtually odorless.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:28 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Yes, my one cat who is on prescription wet cat food has poop that can wake me out of a dead sleep. Lately she has taken to using the new cat's litter box in the middle of the night; unfortunately that box is in the spare bedroom right across from mine. There's nothing like being awakened at 3 AM by a horrible miasma of odor, only to jump out of bed and hastily scoop out the box while trying not to breathe the whole time. Sometimes she will give me a "heads-up" by farting in advance (she farts a lot too - also toxic).

Old 03-24-2018, 01:53 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Yes, my one cat who is on prescription wet cat food has poop that can wake me out of a dead sleep. Lately she has taken to using the new cat's litter box in the middle of the night; unfortunately that box is in the spare bedroom right across from mine. There's nothing like being awakened at 3 AM by a horrible miasma of odor, only to jump out of bed and hastily scoop out the box while trying not to breathe the whole time. Sometimes she will give me a "heads-up" by farting in advance (she farts a lot too - also toxic).
Well, that tells you a lot about that "food" doesn't it. I hope you are trying to find a better way to feed her?

Old 03-24-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconiator View Post
We have 2 cats. The male, when he uses the litterbox he hardly smells at all, but the FEMALE, whenever she goes I find myself coughing and gagging and I have to get out of there before the smell kills me lol, that's how bad it is. It is literally the WORST smell I have ever smelled in my life heh.

Anyone else have this kind of disproportionate smell? The litter takes care of it really fast, but wondering if other people have this too.
Sounds like a diet improvement is in order. Have a look at this video. I do not know how to embed it into the thread It is entitled "The Poop Question" by Feline-Nutriion.org

https://youtu.be/2m70ix2BCY4

Last edited by catsmom21; 03-24-2018 at 02:05 PM..

Old 03-25-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Well, that tells you a lot about that "food" doesn't it. I hope you are trying to find a better way to feed her?
It's prescription Digestive Care i/d with chicken. Actually, I think what's causing the trouble is the teensy "tastes" of the regular cat food (just the juice or sauce) that I sometimes put on top to encourage her to eat more of the prescription cat food. She won't eat any left-over food and the prescription food is expensive, so that's why I will put the little flavorful "tastes" on top to encourage her. I'll have to stop that and just suck up the costs of only new food all the time. If she eats strictly the prescription food she still has stinky poops, but not quite as bad. She does have intestinal issues, which contribute to the problem. She cannot eat any other regular cat food; it gives her uncontrollable butt-scalding diarhhea.

And no, I am NOT feeding her a "raw diet". It's not a cure-all for every health condition. I am feeding her exactly what the veterinarian recommended.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
It's prescription Digestive Care i/d with chicken. Actually, I think what's causing the trouble is the teensy "tastes" of the regular cat food (just the juice or sauce) that I sometimes put on top to encourage her to eat more of the prescription cat food. She won't eat any left-over food and the prescription food is expensive, so that's why I will put the little flavorful "tastes" on top to encourage her. I'll have to stop that and just suck up the costs of only new food all the time. If she eats strictly the prescription food she still has stinky poops, but not quite as bad. She does have intestinal issues, which contribute to the problem. She cannot eat any other regular cat food; it gives her uncontrollable butt-scalding diarhhea.

And no, I am NOT feeding her a "raw diet". It's not a cure-all for every health condition. I am feeding her exactly what the veterinarian recommended.
Have a look at the ingredients of that food your vet thinks is so great. Rice, potato and sawdust are not helping your cat and are probably part of the cause of the stink. And keep in mind that the quality of those ingredients are extremely poor. Very high carb, 24.8 % DMB! which is never good for a cat.

At least it's wet. And contains some meat, so it has two things going for it anyway.

As for a raw diet, no it's not a cure all but it IS what a cat is designed by nature to thrive on, and has solved many "intestinal issues" in cats. You could spend some time learning about it at this site.

Raw Feeding for IBD Cats - Home

Water, Pork Liver, Chicken, Rice, Potato Protein, Chicken Fat, Chicken Liver Flavor, Powdered Cellulose, Dried Beet Pulp, Guar Gum, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Dicalcium Phosphate, Iodized Salt, Fructooligosaccharides, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Psyllium Seed Husk, DL-Methionine, minerals (Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate), Magnesium Oxide, Beta-Carotene.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:59 AM

And Bungalove- one more thing. Many of us have been there, and trusted our vets and fed the "prescription" diets. And when they didn't help and ultimately made things worse, we turned to real food for our cats.

You are adamant against it now, but you may change your mind some day. I speak from experience. I still get reps from some posts I made in this forum 8 years ago, defending "prescription diets", posts that make me cringe with horror and shame now.

At least the food is wet. but...I do hope you will start spending some time reading in the link I shared above. Just...you know..dabble a little here and there. It's a lot to take in. By the time you're ready to try it, you'll be way ahead in the learning process, if you start now.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
And Bungalove- one more thing. Many of us have been there, and trusted our vets and fed the "prescription" diets. And when they didn't help and ultimately made things worse, we turned to real food for our cats.

You are adamant against it now, but you may change your mind some day. I speak from experience. I still get reps from some posts I made in this forum 8 years ago, defending "prescription diets", posts that make me cringe with horror and shame now.

At least the food is wet. but...I do hope you will start spending some time reading in the link I shared above. Just...you know..dabble a little here and there. It's a lot to take in. By the time you're ready to try it, you'll be way ahead in the learning process, if you start now.
I appreciate your (expected) input. As I said, it's MY fault for introducing trace elements of the non-prescription cat food to her leftover prescription cat food to encourage her to eat it. As long as she eats only the prescription cat food that is fresh from the can, her poop is firm and not smelly. Thanks much.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:25 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Oh My, this is truly a smelly thread.

My vet recommended sardines to help with our little old man's arthritis...now that stinks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats