Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 12:10 PM

486 posts, read 653,607 times

Advertisements

Every evening at 5:00 my seven cats get treats. My Siamese cross, Rico, starts pacing about 4:30 and I have to keep him up to date on how many minutes are left until 5:00...20 minutes, 10 minutes, 5 more minutes, and then "it's TIME!" which gets him and the other cats running for the treat place. Temptations get darn expensive when you have seven cats!! They're all rescues and strictly indoors, so treat time is quite an event.

All my cats eat their regular food without complaint, probably because they only get treats at a certain time and begging at other times get them nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 12:48 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
The cat I was mentioning in this thread that loves treats more than food...

well turns out he has crystals in his urine so he is relegated to CD dry food. I have also drastically cut his snacks....he's unhappy but health before snacks....

Old 10-24-2018, 12:52 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
No! Feed him only wet food!!

Old 10-24-2018, 01:12 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
The cat I was mentioning in this thread that loves treats more than food...

well turns out he has crystals in his urine so he is relegated to CD dry food. I have also drastically cut his snacks....he's unhappy but health before snacks....
Oliver loved temptations treats ( Kitty Crack ). I cut them out his diet cold turkey. Give them CD wet & dry twice a day now. Between those meals just CD dry we call 'snacks'. Took him a while, but he got hungry and accepted the change.
Best Wishes!

Old 10-24-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
No! Feed him only wet food!!
I still feed him wet food...

but he won't eat CD wet,
so CD dry is just left as an in between meal nibble.

His situation is not worrisome at this stage.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:27 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
CD Dry:

Chicken, Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Wheat, Brewers Rice, Pork Fat, Chicken Meal, Egg Product, Pork Flavor, Soybean Oil, Fish Oil, Lactic Acid, L-Lysine, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Potassium Citrate, DL-Methionine, L-Tryptophan, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, Dried Hydrolyzed Casein, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Iodized Salt, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Natural Flavors, Beta-Carotene

Chicken is listed first, ONLY because it is the heaviest ingredient BEFORE being cooked to death. After cooking, it would waaaaaay down on the ingredient list.

Corn? A cat is a strict carnivore, not a chicken.

Corn Gluten Meal - Among other nasty things, it is often included to just raise the protein content... to trick the consumer.

Whole Grain Wheat - Filler ingredient. Cats aren't designed to process grains.

Brewers rice, loads of salt, etc.

Throw it out!

Old 10-25-2018, 03:57 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Dry food for a cat with a urinary tract disease is completely wrong, contraindicated, contradictory, use whatever word you want, it's just so ridiculous for a vet to even suggest it.

You already know cats need a diet with high moisture content, why on earth would you give your cat this horrible product?

A cat with urinary tract issues needs a low to zero carb, high moisture, high meat content diet. MEAT is what keeps the urine at the correct pH, because that is what cats are meant to eat.

Feed him low carb wet foods (or raw), with water added, to keep his bladder flushed. If he needs further help look into corn silk and d-mannose.

Use pure protein treats like Pure Bites or While Life for treats. And put that c/d in the garbage where it belongs.

Or, bring it back to the vet and get your money back.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:06 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
PS GBH- I know I sound angry up above but it's not you I'm angry at really, it's your crappy vet who "prescribed" this garbage to your cat in the first place.

I'm angry at all the vets who push this poor quality species inappropriate feed grade junk on pet owners who only want the best for their pets and trust their vets with their most beloved precious pets.

This c/d garbage destroyed my cat's digestion and she and I pay for it every day of our lives now. Don't do that to your cat.

And don't risk further problems including blockages by feeding him this high carb dry crap. It's absolutely the worst thing you can feed him.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
PS GBH- I know I sound angry up above but it's not you I'm angry at really, it's your crappy vet who "prescribed" this garbage to your cat in the first place.

I'm angry at all the vets who push this poor quality species inappropriate feed grade junk on pet owners who only want the best for their pets and trust their vets with their most beloved precious pets.

This c/d garbage destroyed my cat's digestion and she and I pay for it every day of our lives now. Don't do that to your cat.

And don't risk further problems including blockages by feeding him this high carb dry crap. It's absolutely the worst thing you can feed him.

That's ok...I completely trust your judgement. I'll toss it and go back to just canned foods...or chicken.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:22 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
That's ok...I completely trust your judgement. I'll toss it and go back to just canned foods...or chicken.

This is great info as to why MOST vets are not educated in pet nutrition.

Quote:
So when a veterinary nutritionist recommends X, Y or Z food — or discourages feeding raw or homemade diets, which is common — keep in mind that many practicing veterinary nutritionists are obligated in some way to a pet food manufacturer. This association creates an obvious conflict of interest when it comes to the advice they offer, which is typically to encourage pet owners to stick with big-name processed pet foods for the lifelong "health" of their four-legged family members.
https://healthypets.mercola.com/site...pet-diets.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats