Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 09:33 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,372 times

Advertisements

first time in the cat forum, I admit, I'm not a cat person. But I need to learn from you all a few experiences, tricks of the trade, etc. Dealing with a neighbors pet cat. A neighbor that moved next door 16 mths ago or so and lets the cat roam, only comes into the house when they are home, out at night.

bottom line and to try to keep it short, the cat has my property (and probably more) in his territory despite my efforts to discourage it. and now it is garden season and I'm fixing to get serious. Neighbors are of the type that donot consider anything but themselves, and after initial attempts at being neighborly, I've learned that they could care less about my challenges with the neighbors.

I'm not gonna put up with in my garden; I've lived with the dead animals, the language removed
]in the yard and ever thing else, but it's not gonna mess up my garden season.

Anything yall can help with for keeping the cat away ? (besides confronting the neighbor again cause that's gonna happen soon as I run into him and he'll do nothing). I really don't want to (but I am strongly considering) trap it and turn it over to the local 'dog catcher' but I am almost to that point.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-11-2018 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 10:01 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
[insert big sigh here] It is cat "owners" like these that give us all a bad name. Sorry you are dealing with this. Please remember that it's not the cat's fault, but the humans'.

You will likely have the most success with a motion-activated sprinkler, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Scarecrow-Mot...ated+sprinkler

My husband has model trains, and we have something called the "Cat Stop" on the table in the basement. It emits a sound the cats can hear so they stay off the table. I could not find it in a search, but here is a similar product: https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-ZO..._&dpSrc=detail

There are other low-tech things you can do, such as sprinkle citrus peels around the area (cats don't like the smell) or stick plastic forks tine side up (so they don't dig), stuff like that. If you make the area as unappealing to the cat, he/she should not stick around.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:16 AM

so you keep yours inside 24/7 ?

Old 04-10-2018, 10:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Or you could catch it in a live trap and take some pictures of the kidnapping. Blindfold the cat and hold a toy gun to its head, tie it up, take a picture of it with the local dog catcher, use your imagination. Send the photos to your neighbor. Maybe they will take it more seriously.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:21 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
LOL! Post of the day 2mares

Old 04-10-2018, 10:26 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
[insert big sigh here] It is cat "owners" like these that give us all a bad name. Sorry you are dealing with this. Please remember that it's not the cat's fault, but the humans'.

You will likely have the most success with a motion-activated sprinkler, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Scarecrow-Mot...ated+sprinkler

My husband has model trains, and we have something called the "Cat Stop" on the table in the basement. It emits a sound the cats can hear so they stay off the table. I could not find it in a search, but here is a similar product: https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-ZO..._&dpSrc=detail

There are other low-tech things you can do, such as sprinkle citrus peels around the area (cats don't like the smell) or stick plastic forks tine side up (so they don't dig), stuff like that. If you make the area as unappealing to the cat, he/she should not stick around.

Yes, sorry OP.

Additional tip...ground hot peppers around garden might help.

Is your garden small enough to fence in...? You should not have to do so, but...

Old 04-10-2018, 11:00 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Or, think about this:

What possible difference does cat poop make in your garden?

It won't kill the vegetables or flowers.

So, who cares?

You could make it a big issue, go scream at and/or beat up your neighbors, wreak havoc, be cruel to animals, be angry all the time, throw fits, whine and complain, spend all your time thinking up things to do, drive the local police crazy, have fits, raise your own blood pressure, act deviously, justify your bad behavior, spread gossip, throw tantrums, create drama, run outside every time you see a cat, complain on social media, and etc. ad nauseum.

Or you could just chill out and accept the donation of fertilizer.

Everybody poops.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Or, think about this:

What possible difference does cat poop make in your garden?

It won't kill the vegetables or flowers.

So, who cares?

You could make it a big issue, go scream at and/or beat up your neighbors, wreak havoc, be cruel to animals, be angry all the time, throw fits, whine and complain, spend all your time thinking up things to do, drive the local police crazy, have fits, raise your own blood pressure, act deviously, justify your bad behavior, spread gossip, throw tantrums, create drama, run outside every time you see a cat, complain on social media, and etc. ad nauseum.

Or you could just chill out and accept the donation of fertilizer.

Everybody poops.
I reckon you need to ask your gardener cause you have no clue. Lot more to my garden than throwing a seed out and picking the fruit. I like to get down on MY HANDS AND KNEES brother and work in the dirt. I've endured 16 or so mths and was just wondering if you folk mighta had instant or simple solution.

shoulda known better and dont worry my brother, in a different time, a different place, there would be no problem ...

call the police ?? less gov't for me, they got a lot more important stuff than mine, deal with it for me. I tell all my neighbors - I'm not calling the police on nobody unless somebody comes running out the house with a knife sticking out their neck.

oh and there'll be no facebook or social media for me either

Last edited by burr; 04-10-2018 at 11:33 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 11:29 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Is your garden small enough to fence in...? You should not have to do so, but...[/quote]

Old 04-10-2018, 11:41 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
If you have areas of loose dirt you might try putting chicken wire on top to discourage digging.

Funny story, when we first moved to the country we had an outdoor cat and a big garden. He liked to use it as his litter box. If I was outside and saw him do it I would yell and clap my hands and scare him off. However, if I yelled from an upstairs window in the house, he would give me a look like "What are you gonna do about it?" and continue what he was doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats