Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:40 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

For those who don't already know, I have a blue Persian cat named Cyrus who is 17 years old... he was in decent shape other than being deaf and having weak/arthritic legs, and then started looking REALLY bad within the last few months. He's lost about half of his original body weight (down to just 5lbs now), and was becoming increasingly lethargic + uncomfortable. So I took him for a full work-up at the vet a couple weeks ago, and as we suspected, the test results show he's in stage 2-3 (of 4) of kidney failure.

For now they've recommended weekly fluids, which I can either administer myself or have them do for $7/visit, and also a prescription kidney-health food. Good news is that he LOVES the food (it's a canned fish & rice variety), and is eating small amounts 2-3x/day. Unfortunately Oswald the young'un also thinks it smells tasty, so I have to monitor feedings to make sure he doesn't steal it. I also had his first fluid treatment done at the vet last weekend, and they showed me how to do it myself... it's a little daunting, though, and since I live literally across the street from the vet, I might just take him there instead. We'll see.

Anyway, he spends most of his time sleeping on my bed now, but still purrs and head-bumps me like always. He's sort of using the litter pan, and by that I mean he goes TO it, but usually ends up peeing next to the box instead. Originally that seemed to be an issue of his legs (not being able to get into the old/taller pan), so I got a short pan which temporarily solved the problem. Now I guess it's related to his kidneys? Any suggestions on how to handle that? I keep the pan in the bathroom which has linoleum-type flooring, which isn't hard to clean, but as a renter I don't want to cause any permanent damage; it's already starting to turn a bit yellow around that spot!

Not sure what else to say, aside from sharing the update and hopefully getting some general advice. And I hate to ask this, but how much time do you think he has left? I will NOT let him suffer needlessly, so will do the "right thing" when it seems he is ready, and not drag things out beyond that. I think the fluids and special food are reasonable "measures," though, and hopefully will keep him comfortable for a while longer. The vet recommended re-checking his levels in a few months, assuming he is still around at that point. If anyone else has been through this with their cats, I'd appreciate your input and so forth. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 09:50 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,798,808 times
I can't tell you when your purr baby is going to cross the rainbow bridge but I can tell you I am feeling your pain. I am so sorry for your sorrow. You will need memories of your life together to sustain you through losing your sweetie-whenever that is.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I can't tell you when your purr baby is going to cross the rainbow bridge but I can tell you I am feeling your pain. I am so sorry for your sorrow. You will need memories of your life together to sustain you through losing your sweetie-whenever that is.
Thanks for your kind words. And I realize nobody can predict exactly how long he's got, but I was just hoping to get a general idea of what to expect... I know it's not going to be much longer, though, even if he were a healthy 17 year-old! The last cat I lost, Kona, was almost 18 when she went (naturally) of heart failure.

At least there is some comfort in knowing they lived a long life, when they make it that far.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:04 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Puppy pads around the litter box will keep things cleaner. I gave fluids at home for my CKD girl for 3 years. Hers was caught early.

Like you say, quality of life is what matters most at this stage. xx

Old 04-25-2018, 08:07 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,926,767 times
I'm very sorry. We have an almost 18-year-old guy so I can sympathize. It's hard to say how much time he has left. Some cats can be managed with kidney disease for a long while, and others crash and don't recover.

IMO I'd give the fluids yourself at home. It's not hard and there are lots of YouTube videos showing how to do it. It's also far cheaper to buy from Foster & Smith or another online venue (you need a "prescription" but they can handle that).

Give him lots of love and spoil him. Treasure every day you have togeher/

Old 04-25-2018, 09:25 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Sorry of your pain, it can be so hard....many of us have been in your place.

Just important to remember we can't keep them around for us....as others said, quality of life is what needs to be considered....

Old 04-25-2018, 09:56 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times

Old 04-25-2018, 10:05 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
So sorry to hear this.

About litter boxes. I have been using for some time the lids from Bankers Boxes..those heavy cardboard boxes for storing paperwork, etc. I line the lid with a black plastic Hefty type bag...leaving it doubled. I have one of those huge rubber bands around it. Every day I tuck the plastic to the edges and corners as it can get pulled to the middle.With out cat with the same issue as yours, her litter box was only used by her since the cats had decided on certain areas of the house as their favorites.

Since the lid is so small, you'd need a few for the others.

The fluid bag. Well, first be sure to get the smallest size needles. Made such a difference when I found out about them. The bag I would put on my bed post which was high up. A few of the cats and dogs would get in a group around my lap as I sat on the floor.

Or in the warm sunny laundry room where my kitty was closer to my standing up and hugging her. She loved that. The bag I'd hang higher up from a hook.

It's not unusual for hyper thyroid to make a show. It's a bit of a juggle but we got it balanced out.

I noticed another cat or two would try to test the ill cat. She would stretch out a paw and show her claw and the cats backed away. It was just their way of saying how's it going today...oh, okay, good for another day.

She also liked as much control as possible. She loved climbing on our sofa and that became her special place. She could dig her claws in the loose weave of the thick fabric so it worked well. Did no damage. After a while, her back legs were not good but she was still strong in the front legs so I helped her with a hand under her little rear so she could still feel she was doing some work getting up.

Eventually it was easier for her to eat staying pretty much in one relaxed position. So the plate got moved around instead of her. A small paper plate I held and moved as she ate worked great.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:19 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,376,135 times
So sorry to hear Cyrus is failing. As already said, treasure the time you have left with him. When you see that he's having more bad days than good, then it may be time to let go. As Catsmom said, it's about quality of life now.

My heart goes out to you at this sad time.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Puppy pads around the litter box will keep things cleaner.
Of course, puppy pads... why didn't I think of that?

If I can't make him go IN the pan, I suppose that is the next best thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats