Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 05:54 AM

621 posts, read 3,206,511 times

Advertisements

Hi All...I need some advice on what to do. Here's the situation:

I have 2 cats. One is about 10(Cici) the other is almost 2(Bear). Bear is constantly "attacking" my older cat. I know he just wants to play, but the she doesn't want to play and ends up "screaming", literally, bloody murder. I knew I shouldn't have adopted such a younger cat, he was 8 wks when I got him, but I fell in love and couldn't resist. I thought about giving him back to the shelter, last year, but I couldn't. I had become too attached. I figured he would eventually grow out of this, which I'm sure he will, but I guess it's going to be longer than I expected. So I'm at my wits end as to what to do. I feel bad as my older cat just wants to sleep and not be bothered. And when she does play its not the rough kitten type play. She can't even walk by him without him waiting and preying and ready to pounce on her. He always goes for her neck. He bites it and tries to roll her over and get on top of her. I now have a larger house where I can accomadate another cat. I've wanted another one for awhile, but I'm scared it will backfire. I was planning on getting one that is around his age, so he can have a playmate. But then I worry that they will both gang up on her and I will be back in the same boat.
She has now started to overgroom herself and now has baldspots. I have taken her to the vet and had all the tests done and they can't find anything that would make her hair fall out. So I'm assuming it's all the stress she's under.

Any advice?? Thanks everyone!!

P.S.-I have tried the water bottle, "No", rewarding him only when he does something good, given him more attention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 07:52 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times
It does sound like your 2y/o wants to desperately play. Another young cat may be something worth heavily considering.

My partner and I intergrated our cats years ago, which brought the cat count to 3. My oldest cat was 11 y/o and my youngest cat was 1 y/o at the time. My partner's cat was 2 y/o at the time we merged. They were all boys and behaviorally fell into perfect order of age. Yes, the youngest did occassionally try to get the oldest to play, but the youngest and middle cat ended up being rough house buddies. Since that time we lost our oldest cat, but the remaining two are still close and still like to rough house with each other. They are now 8y/o and 7y/o.

You may opt to research your next cat and talk to the shelter/foster parent to see how the new potential cat interacts with other cats. Many of the foster parents foster several cats and are able to give a good description of their behaviors and what will work best for them. A vet I volunteer with is a firm believer that male cats are more accepting of new cats to the home. That's his theory...and he has 11 cats, only one is female (lol).

Your oldest cat licking his coat is a stress induced act. The vet may eventually suggest a mood rx. Our 8 y/o cat goes through waves of OCD like bx's but after trying out the rx for a few days we took him off (given to us by a vet we no longer use). He was completely out of it when on the rx and it wasn't how we wanted him to live the rest of his life. Now we just verbally redirect him when we catch him engaging in the (-) bx's and it seems to work. Our current vet told us cats are known for stressing out...that's just what they do.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:18 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times
I agree another little one sounds like a good idea. Not a kitten though, one the same age. Look into Petsmart and find a playful one that interacts well with others.We have 2 5 yo cats and tried to get a kitten. It didn't work. My cats are very lazy and the little one was very bothersome. We ended up giving her to friends with a dog. They adore each other and she has someone to play with.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:27 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
I was going to suggest getting a 3rd cat too. Our old man was left alone when our second cat died. We adopted two litter mate kittens with the thinking that it would perk the old guy up to have others around again, but having the two kittens-they would play more with each other and not bother Keller too much. It worked out great. And as a co-worker told me when I doubted having 3-"After two, it's just more poop."

Old 03-28-2008, 09:07 AM

That is so funny! It's true...the difference between 2 and 3 cats is the amount of poop.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the great advice everyone.

I totally agree. I really think another cat would be so beneficial to EVERYONE in the household (not just the cats..lol) even if it means more poop to scoop LOL. I want the young one to be able to play like he wants and the older one to sleep how she wants. Looks like this weekend I will be looking for a new kitty!!! I'm excited as well, I always love bringing in a new animal home. I've actually wanted a 3rd cat for awhile, so this works out well. I will keep you all updated, thanks again for the thoughts!!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:44 AM

Well everyone, I went to the shelter on Fri-found a beautiful girl kitty, had a home visit on Sat, and she was home on Sun. She is perfect. I couldn't believe, but she had been at the shelter for 11 months....and there was NOTHING wrong with her. She's so beautiful, young and super playful I just don't understand why no one adopted her. The only thing I've found is she's a "lovebiter" she likes to give bites when she plays, but not hard. So I'm wondering if people just thought she was mean. Anyways, I don't know, but she seems perfect for my little one as she is so playful. I will keep you updated on their progress.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:05 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
Good to hear!! My one guy is a "lovebiter" too (never heard that before but appropriate ). Glad she found a home with you. Have fun!!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Well everyone, I went to the shelter on Fri-found a beautiful girl kitty, had a home visit on Sat, and she was home on Sun. She is perfect. I couldn't believe, but she had been at the shelter for 11 months....and there was NOTHING wrong with her. She's so beautiful, young and super playful I just don't understand why no one adopted her. The only thing I've found is she's a "lovebiter" she likes to give bites when she plays, but not hard. So I'm wondering if people just thought she was mean. Anyways, I don't know, but she seems perfect for my little one as she is so playful. I will keep you updated on their progress.
That's wonderful!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:06 AM

Congratulations on your new family member! I think it is wonderful you adopted and saved a homeless pet!!!! Have you decided on a name???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats