U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:57 AM

5,003 posts, read 14,609,342 times

Advertisements

We will be going on a vacation in just over a month. We have left our two indoor/outdoor cats in the house before with just a cat door to get outside. We have a pet sitter, but one of our cats is afraid of her; afraid of people, period. We get back and our timid cat is outside, the house is filled with cat spray from feral cat, and she has been bitten and in need of a vet.

The other cat, while having been bitten does not like to stay in the house. She was a feral. She handles outside very well.

I have live tapped other feral cats that have bothered my cats, but now we have a new one that can't wait to beat these two cats up. I have live trapped him once, but he broke the live trap. Now he is wise to it.

If I leave the shy cat in the house with the cat door shut, she could get out, and once out she may not wish to come back inside. The cat sitter thinks she can prevent this from happening. I think, cats are too tricky.

the other day the feral cat walked into our house through the cat door.

one day we came back from vacation and our house had been sprayed by yet another feral, who is gone now.

if I lock the other cat out, I can only hope she will be okay, but at least she likes the sitter, and if she gets bitten she can be taken to the vet.

I thought of taking the shy cat to the kennel for two weeks, but then I worry about that. two weeks seems like a long time.

the pound has no answers for me in regards to the feral cat. The cat is too wise for the live trap.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 06-04-2018 at 07:24 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 07:25 AM

27,079 posts, read 8,875,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
We will be going on a vacation in just over a month. We have left our two indoor/outdoor cats in the house before with just a cat door to get outside. We have a pet sitter, but one of our cats is afraid of her; afraid of people, period. We get back and our timid cat is outside, the house is filled with cat spray from feral cat, and she has been bitten and in need of a vet.

The other cat, while having been bitten does not like to stay in the house. She was a feral. She handles outside very well.

I have live tapped other feral cats that have bothered my cats, but now we have a new one that can't wait to beat these two cats up. I have live trapped him once, but he broke the live trap. Now he is wise to it.

If I leave the shy cat in the house with the cat door shut, she could get out, and once out she may not wish to come back inside. The cat sitter thinks she can prevent this from happening. I think, cats are too tricky.

the other day the feral cat walked into our house through the cat door.

one day we came back from vacation and our house had been sprayed by yet another feral, who is gone now.

if I lock the other cat out, I can only hope she will be okay, but at least she likes the sitter, and if she gets bitten she can be taken to the vet.

I thought of taking the shy cat to the kennel for two weeks, but then I worry about that. two weeks seems like a long time.

the pound has no answers for me in regards to the feral cat.

Your cats are being BITTEN???

You need to rethink your priorities...that's not acceptable for many reasons! You are ALLOWING your cat to be bitten!! Think!! And what about the pain, disease, infection, etc...???

She can go to the vet if she gets bitten??? YOU SHOULD NOT ALLOW HER TO BE PLACED IN A POSITION WHERE SHE COULD BE ATTACKED...OR KILLED!

Lock the cat door, keep everyone inside, allow the pet sitter to do what they do...it's the only way to insure they all are fed, have fresh water and aren't subjected to attack by other cats.

Call the no kill animal shelter about the feral.

Consider whether you really want cats and if you are up to par as a cat owner. They deserve the best of care at all times.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 06-04-2018 at 07:45 AM..

Old 06-04-2018, 07:31 AM

5,941 posts, read 4,115,013 times
Am I reading this right that you have two cats that go in/out through this cat door - and a third cat is coming into your house and terrorizing your cats as well as urinating in your house? For some reason, your post wasn't clear to me. I want to see that I'm getting the gist.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:34 AM

21,319 posts, read 12,888,188 times
Is there somebody who can and will stay at your house? I used to take care of a dog, a few cats and a goat for friends of mine while they did the horse show thing. It was a vacation for me to be in the country and they supplied the food. left an open acct at the vet's which I never used.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:34 AM

27,079 posts, read 8,875,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Am I reading this right that you have two cats that go in/out through this cat door - and a third cat is coming into your house and terrorizing your cats as well as urinating in your house? For some reason, your post wasn't clear to me. I want to see that I'm getting the gist.

You are right...plus the cats are being bitten by the feral!!!

Last edited by greatblueheron; 06-04-2018 at 08:18 AM..

Old 06-04-2018, 07:37 AM

5,941 posts, read 4,115,013 times
Why not just leave the cats inside while you are on vacation ? Are they not litter trained anymore?

Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You are right...plus the cats are being bitten by the feral!!! And that seems ok to OP...
Where in the H... do you think it is okay with me. I have gotten rid of feral cats that have attacked my cats. I have tried to trap this new feral, but he broke out of the trap. my cats will not take being just indoor cats. I have to get rid of this feral and have no way to it. the pound said it doesn't know what I can do. the human society can't help either.

I guess I should not have posted this at all because all you want to do is judge. I take very good care of my cats, but as to judging, I think it is wrong to make cats live indoors.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Why not just leave the cats inside while you are on vacation ? Are they not litter trained anymore?
I could only leave one cat in because the other cat freaks out when you lock the cat door. she was a feral. if I leave one cat in she could get out, when the sitter comes over, and then she will be in trouble.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
We have a new feral that just showed up. We had tried trapping it, but it broke the live trap. it never tried to come into the cat door, but the other day it did. it saw me and left. what he does is attack my cats if they are outside the house. We have tried live trapping him again by making the trap look like it isn't a trap, but he ignored it. I have talked to the pound and the humane society with no luck.

I have thought to trap him in our house and call the pound for him to get him, but so far that is only a though as he hasn't come inside the house again.

I am worried sick about my cats. if I am around I can stop fights, but if I am gone I can't.

we are mainly trying to find out if my cat would be more traumatized in the kennel for two weeks or if it is best to chance her being locked in the house and the other locked out unless she wants to stay in when the sitter comes. I am not sure if it is more traumatizing to be locked in house or at kennel.

We have trapped two feral cats in the past that were trouble makers, and last time we we on a trip my cat was fine, but now a new troublemaker has shown up. just to make this more clear.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:11 AM

2,813 posts, read 3,082,499 times
The first thing I would do is install a cat door with a sensor/magnet so ONLY your cats can use the door and feral cats can't come in.

IMO having a pet sitter come would be better than sending a cat to the kennel. Get some Feliway plugged in before you leave to help calm the cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats