U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:57 PM

21,052 posts, read 10,823,766 times

Advertisements

Along with liquidy stool. Dedided to put on Revolution to see if it's some wormies that can be resolved at home. How long should I give that possibility a chance to resolve? 72 hours? (Revolution kills them within 24, but could have intestinal upset for longer).

He's not having exessive amounts of diareah, just when he does go it's diareah, so I am not worried that he is dehyrated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 01:18 PM

9,120 posts, read 7,599,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Along with liquidy stool. Dedided to put on Revolution to see if it's some wormies that can be resolved at home. How long should I give that possibility a chance to resolve? 72 hours? (Revolution kills them within 24, but could have intestinal upset for longer).

He's not having exessive amounts of diareah, just when he does go it's diareah, so I am not worried that he is dehyrated.

Revolution only kills certain types of worms, but not others (and I forget which ones). I would think once the worms are dead/passed the diarrhea would clear-up within a day or so. Also, as long as he has any runny stool, he's going to get dehydrated, so make sure there's plenty of water for him.

The bloody stool is more of a concern, and I have to ask if he's been seen by a vet yet. There may be something going on besides worms. If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you take him in. Or a stool sample at the very least.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:25 PM

4,286 posts, read 3,896,638 times
Quote:

He needs to go to the vet today. It could be pancreatitis or IBS or a number of things. Bloody liquid stool is not something I'd wait on at all.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
[/b]

Revolution only kills certain types of worms, but not others (and I forget which ones). I would think once the worms are dead/passed the diarrhea would clear-up within a day or so. Also, as long as he has any runny stool, he's going to get dehydrated, so make sure there's plenty of water for him.

The bloody stool is more of a concern, and I have to ask if he's been seen by a vet yet. There may be something going on besides worms. If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you take him in. Or a stool sample at the very least.
It doesn't kill tape. He is drinking plenty, I am keeping him in watching his stool and keeping him in the a/c. I'm just saving at least $45 on the fecal testing, and a small possibility of not needing to go in at all. Further, when I suspect a possible something is a good time to toss on some Revolution for anything that might be trying to go on, since praise be we don't have fleas often, and they don't need it montly.

My vet is retarded on pricing. Parasite screening is separate from looking for bacterial infection, which is what I really suspect. He had that when he showed up, and a couple times after. Last time Vet said he's had metronirizole too many times and to try forta flora, which I have some of. But there was no blood then, just the diareah.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
He needs to go to the vet today. It could be pancreatitis or IBS or a number of things. Bloody liquid stool is not something I'd wait on at all.
I am normally over-reactive. A regular at the E-vet. We are talking a tiny amount of blood. I have rushed to e-vet with that before and been told to chill, it's just a little colitis. They asked me to start calling before coming in so they can say whether I really need to go or wait. They are too busy to deal with things that are not actual emergencies.

On the other end, my regular vet is overboard with everything. I have to be careful not to have a $300 or more bill everytime I go.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:33 PM

Random aside: I wonder if RR has a taste. Seems like both cats drink more since I've consistently kept it in all water bowls. Their favorite is the dog's bowl, which is next to me here at the desk, and I've noticed them sitting and drinking for much longer. If this is true, I personally would use it even if the thug did not need RR. Anything that gets cats to drink more is good in my book.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:34 PM

9,120 posts, read 7,599,567 times
Quote:
It doesn't kill tape. He is drinking plenty, I am keeping him in watching his stool and keeping him in the a/c. I'm just saving at least $45 on the fecal testing, and a small possibility of not needing to go in at all. Further, when I suspect a possible something is a good time to toss on some Revolution for anything that might be trying to go on, since praise be we don't have fleas often, and they don't need it montly.

My vet is retarded on pricing. Parasite screening is separate from looking for bacterial infection, which is what I really suspect. He had that when he showed up, and a couple times after. Last time Vet said he's had metronirizole too many times and to try forta flora, which I have some of. But there was no blood then, just the diareah.
If it comes to that and you have to choose, go for the bacterial infection. Because he has a history, that would be a logical first step. Worst case scenario is that he has both. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
If it comes to that and you have to choose, go for the bacterial infection. Because he has a history, that would be a logical first step. Worst case scenario is that he has both. Good luck.
I shall. I won't do the other unless nothing turns up on that one.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:48 PM

8,246 posts, read 15,845,391 times
Quote:
Random aside: I wonder if RR has a taste. Seems like both cats drink more since I've consistently kept it in all water bowls. Their favorite is the dog's bowl, which is next to me here at the desk, and I've noticed them sitting and drinking for much longer. If this is true, I personally would use it even if the thug did not need RR. Anything that gets cats to drink more is good in my book.

Rescue Remedy for pets has a very very slight sweet taste. I know, because I use the pet version for myself as well as the cats. The human version is way too much alcohol, can't stand it. I put the drops right on my tongue.

A little fresh blood in the stool, one time thing, usually isn't something to worry about, but of course if it continues, or you see black tarry stools, you will need to bring him in. The loose stool could be caused by stress, or a build up fur, or the beginning of an IBD or other health issue.

I would recommend you use a better probiotic than Forti Flora, that really isn't any good at all.

Here is some information you may find useful. You don't have to be a raw feeder to benefit.

Probiotics for Cats - Why and Which Ones - Raw Feeding for IBD Cats
^^ scroll down to page 5 for probiotic recommendations and page 9 for "Emergency stop diarrhea protocol".

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?
^^ info on blood in the diarrhea is in this article

Old 06-05-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Rescue Remedy for pets has a very very slight sweet taste. I know, because I use the pet version for myself as well as the cats. The human version is way too much alcohol, can't stand it. I put the drops right on my tongue.

A little fresh blood in the stool, one time thing, usually isn't something to worry about, but of course if it continues, or you see black tarry stools, you will need to bring him in. The loose stool could be caused by stress, or a build up fur, or the beginning of an IBD or other health issue.

I would recommend you use a better probiotic than Forti Flora, that really isn't any good at all.

Here is some information you may find useful. You don't have to be a raw feeder to benefit.

Probiotics for Cats - Why and Which Ones - Raw Feeding for IBD Cats
^^ scroll down to page 5 for probiotic recommendations and page 9 for "Emergency stop diarrhea protocol".

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?
^^ info on blood in the diarrhea is in this article
I think I have the human version. It has human instructions! I put 8 drops in the large dog bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats