Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:07 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,260,475 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to throw this out there because I found a really simple solution to a problem I thought I was never going to solve.

I have two male tabbies-Renly and Patrick, for those of you who remember. I have enclosed litter boxes with a swinging flap (like a doggie-door) in and out. I have to have enclosed because Renly kicks litter EVERYWHERE. For MONTHS, I would find urine on the mats outside the boxes, and caught Patrick peeing on things like bath mats, the rugs, etc. I tried everything - special sprays, putting objects over the rugs, and literally had to put my bath mat over the shower when I wasn’t using it. I kept the boxes meticulously clean but still had the same issue, over and over again.

The other day, I noticed Renly peeing in the litter box. He was inside the litter box, but it was running over the side and onto to the mat because his butt was pointed towards the entrance. So I had a brilliant idea to lift the flap going in and out so it was just open.

My life changed at that moment. I realized that Renly thought the flap was a solid wall, and didn’t realize his pee was going over the flap. When I lifted up the flap it was just open space, so he adjusted himself so that it would go [edited: would not go]in the mat. He stopped peeing on the mat.

I realized later that Patrick wasn’t using the litter boxes because Renly had urinated all over the mats in the entrances, which is why he was peeing elsewhere. He didn’t want to walk over the urine, nor would I. Once Renly stopped peeing over the sides of the boxes, Patrick started using the litter boxes again.

Since then, I’ve been able to leave my bath mat on the floor and have had no accidents on the carpet.

These sorts of simple adjustments can really make a profound difference sometimes.

Last edited by Bluefox; 07-05-2018 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: See above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 10:59 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,260,475 times
As a follow up, I’m actually considering going towards completely open boxes. I think if I have the litter deep enough, it might keep the scattering to a minimum. I think the cats naturally prefer an open litter box. And I would clean up scattered litter all day compared to cleaning up cat pee.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:30 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,943,083 times
I know mine prefer open box....they don't like to step in onto used litter. The height of the pan makes a difference. Mine also have litter guards around the top to prevent that kicking of litter across the room!

Glad you found something that works...

Old 07-06-2018, 09:02 AM

488 posts, read 657,148 times
If your cats are the least bit big (as in over 7-8 lbs) usually the litter boxes from the pet places are too small to keep the litter in when used by a "kicker." I went to the local restaurant supply place and picked up some dish pans, the kind the busboys use when they pick up from the tables, and the litter all over the floor is now contained. The sides are higher and they're a lot bigger so the cat has room to do his thing. The pans were only about $6 apiece.

I still have a couple covered boxes, but they're rarely used. I have 7 cats (all rescues) and I think they fear being trapped in the covered box by another cat while they're using it.

Glad you figured out the problem!

Old 07-06-2018, 09:06 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,862,520 times
Closed litter boxes or electric powered litter boxes are sold to satisfy human needs, not the needs of cats.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:02 AM

20,927 posts, read 9,637,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
As a follow up, I’m actually considering going towards completely open boxes. I think if I have the litter deep enough, it might keep the scattering to a minimum. I think the cats naturally prefer an open litter box. And I would clean up scattered litter all day compared to cleaning up cat pee.
This, definitely.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:05 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,509,079 times
We have 6 cats. To satisfy ALL of them, and ourselves, this is the combo that we have found to work. We have tried mannnny different boxes, litters, etc. over the course of almost 20 years!

"Boxes" for under 7 bucks. Cleans easily.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilit...1010/100671079

Litter with little to no dust. Clumps EXTREMELY well too! The litter is larger pieces, not sand-y. It isn't tracked much at all. Plus, no white paw powder looking paw prints all over the house.
https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Elseys-Pre...0892678&sr=8-1

For mats; litter drops "inside" the mat, as cat is leaving box. Pick up mat and shake litter back into box.
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-R...892962&sr=8-16

Old 07-06-2018, 12:58 PM

457 posts, read 501,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Closed litter boxes or electric powered litter boxes are sold to satisfy human needs, not the needs of cats.
This is not always the case. I have an large (17" tall) covered litter box that I have to line with puppy pads because I have a litter box side pee-er.
Not only does he pee on the sides of the litter box, sometimes he makes it to the lid. If I didn't have the lid to keep everything contained, it would end up on the wall.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:27 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,563,759 times
I do have the litter on the floor problem, I never found a litter "rug" they didn't just jump right over. I've also given up on bathroom rugs, because my cat with kidney disease loves peeing on them. She will pee on her pee pads unless I put down a bathroom rug, which is apparently a more luxurious toilet. She will poop in the box, but for reasons I don't pretend to understand, she prefers peeing on the floor. Honestly I'm just grateful she'll aim for the pee pads.

I gave up on any kind of covered box a long time ago, they just don't like it.

I like the idea of using big and deep non-traditional boxes as litter boxes. But I'm sure if they're too deep, the kitties will let me know about it.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:31 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,509,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
This is not always the case. I have an large (17" tall) covered litter box that I have to line with puppy pads because I have a litter box side pee-er.
Not only does he pee on the sides of the litter box, sometimes he makes it to the lid. If I didn't have the lid to keep everything contained, it would end up on the wall.

Try a longer box, and don't put it in a closed-in area.
Our side pee-ers now squat and pee in the middle of the Sterilite boxes (that I linked to in my other post), as long as the boxes are kept in an open area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats