Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:08 AM

84 posts, read 177,958 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a tortoise cat that I have just recently brought inside my house. Since she's been to the vet and been treated for fleas and had her shots she no longer goes outside. The problem is she is extremely moody. One minute she'll be purring while you're petting her and the next she will be growling and swiping at you with her paw. She was like this outside, somewhat, just not to this extent. I am wondering if anyone else has tortoise cats and if they are always moody and what I can do to give her a more even temperment. Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 08:38 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
It sounds like she has been on her own for a long time. We brought in a stray cat a little over 5 years ago and she still is very moody. We usually only pet her on her terms. Lola is not a tortoise, but I think that most cats that have fended for themselves for a long period of time have only survived by growling and using their claws.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:41 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaolive3 View Post
Hi, I have a tortoise cat that I have just recently brought inside my house. Since she's been to the vet and been treated for fleas and had her shots she no longer goes outside. The problem is she is extremely moody. One minute she'll be purring while you're petting her and the next she will be growling and swiping at you with her paw. She was like this outside, somewhat, just not to this extent. I am wondering if anyone else has tortoise cats and if they are always moody and what I can do to give her a more even temperment. Thank you for any input.

I have a tortie and she also purrs and then freaks out and smacks me (but then I fake cry and she stops ) I've had her for 3 years and it took her almost the entire 3 to feel really comfortable with me (she was abused, had a BB behind her ear when we got her from the shelter, would scream when we picked her up) and is FINALLY settling (but she still freaks sometimes).

Every time I take my tortie to the vet, the vet says how torties are known for their moodiness I love her, but she may not get a super even temperament. All of this being said, I would just give her some more time. She needs to learn the rules as well!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:46 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,026 times
Torties & Calicos - Get used to the attitude.

They are the "Tough Chicks". She will accept you when she is ready. But there will be times when you will bug her and she will let you know!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Wow, this is fascinating to hear.
I had a tortie who lived 20 years.
She was actually the mellowest cat I ever knew. Even the vet commented on it.
However, during her last two years of life, she got pretty grouchy--but I figured I might be too at her age.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
I rescued tortoiseshell "Connie" from the St Maarten port authority many years ago while visiting that island. This stringly little thing was all love and affection on St Maarten and I spent an arm and a leg having her fixed there and making arrangements to then bring her to St Thomas. For the next 15 years she was the most miserable creature on earth. She'd purr and then bite, hated all other animals and was quickly renamed, "Connie The C***!" During the last year of her life when she was stone deaf she was actually very nice. She had a wonderful life, just had a huge chip on her shoulder.

A pregnant feral tortoiseshell made my place her home for several months. She was equally nutty. She'd purr across my shoulder and then lash out with no warning. She finally presented her two kittens to me and I have one of them now (he's a wonderful inside cat) but I always had the feelng that she dumped them on me because she was tired of them. When I readied the two kids to have them fixed, they went into carriers with no problem. Mama was scheduled to go too and I bought a top-opening carrier especially for her as I figured it would be easier to get her into. Wrong. She snuggled over my should and purred up a storm but as soon as I lifted her to plop her into the carrier she went into psycho-kitty mode and ripped my arms to shreds. I arrived at the vet's office bleeding profusely and explained that, "I guess Mama cat didn't want to come today..."

Never could pick her up after that. She subsequently came sashaying in pregnant again with a big smirk on her face, obviously had the kittens (which I never saw so presumably they didn't make it) and then disappeared for good.

The very dark-coloured tortoiseshells I've had and have are wonderfully "normal" but my experience with the lighter ones hasn't been so good and many cat people have told me similar stories. Cheers!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Of my six cats, three are Orange Tabby males, two are Tortoise Shell females, and one is a Champange Beige female.

They all are individuals and all have their own personality quirks, but I don't think I could say that the Torties are any different from the Orange Tabbies as far as general behavior.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:39 PM

563 posts, read 2,570,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
Torties & Calicos - Get used to the attitude.

They are the "Tough Chicks". She will accept you when she is ready. But there will be times when you will bug her and she will let you know!
Ain't this the truth. My first cat was a Calico that I adopted and while she is very nice, she can be moody and goes crazy at the vet. They actually had to give anesthesia/sedative through the carrier she was in in order to just take her out and examine her one time. She doesnt go to the vet unless she has to LOL. I also have a tortoise shell female who was very timid at first but has since warmed up to all the other cats in th house and she is quite fiesty. She gets into it with the calico sometimes but overall, things are ok. These two cats definitely have the attitudes. I also have a cat that I was told is considered a dilute calico. Mischievous, but in a good way is a good word to describe her. But very affectionate.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:31 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,026 times
"dilute calico"? What is THAT?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:12 AM

15 posts, read 79,643 times
Aren't cats great! I've had a few Torties, 4 silver Tabbies, and of course the Tuxedos, 3 of them. I love cattitude.........but bet me they don't know what they are doing acting like they do, heck they have been around 2000 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats