Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 04:46 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times

Advertisements

I've been watching Dr. Jeff, Rocky Mountain Vet, and several times I've heard him say, about a very sick cat, yeah, look, the fur's "tufting" already. At least that's what it sounds like he's saying. I don't know what that is and hope someone can explain it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 06:46 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Tufts are when the fur mats together and forms individual sections. I think it comes from lack of good grooming...or if a cat cannot reach a section to groom.

Very sick cats with kidney failure develop them for some reason. Likely other serious illnesses too.

That's all I know...

Old 08-06-2018, 01:22 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Tufts are when the fur mats together and forms individual sections. I think it comes from lack of good grooming...or if a cat cannot reach a section to groom.

Very sick cats with kidney failure develop them for some reason. Likely other serious illnesses too.

That's all I know...
It happens with diabetes as well. My girl Angel 'tufted' up pretty bad around her rear end for a time right before she was found to be diabetic. Don't know if the high blood sugar caused it directly, or a lack of grooming on her (& my) part. She's a medium long hair and her fur is a bit on the coarse side. She had never been one to mat very badly, and those tufts & clumps were actually one of the signs that I saw telling me she had a problem.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:23 PM

So it's mats. I never heard it called "tufts." (My strange brain is thinking "dreads" would be the best word.)

Old 08-06-2018, 07:12 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
So it's mats. I never heard it called "tufts." (My strange brain is thinking "dreads" would be the best word.)
No, tufts and mats are different.

Cats fur normally lies flatish. When it tufts... a bunch of "hairs" will bind together to look like a tuft of fiber from carpeting and they raise up.

With matting.... loose fur gets stuck underneath the top coat.

And a "Furminator" is a wonderful invention for both short and long haired cats.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
No, tufts and mats are different.

Cats fur normally lies flatish. When it tufts... a bunch of "hairs" will bind together to look like a tuft of fiber from carpeting and they raise up.

With matting.... loose fur gets stuck underneath the top coat.

And a "Furminator" is a wonderful invention for both short and long haired cats.
I got it. I have a furminator, too. I think it's great in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats