Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 03:02 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times

Advertisements

If you got a pet - especially a baby one like a kitten - not being aware how much attention the thing would need, and not sure you had the time and energy to give it that attention, then you probably should not have gotten a pet.

A pet, properly kept, is almost like having a baby/kid, you simply have to give it a lot of attention. If you can't do that or don't want to, you should not have a pet.

Especially getting a cat when your wife has cat allergies, what did you expect??

Old 09-20-2018, 06:32 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
I have never heard of someone having a real allergy to the smell of cat poop or urine and it makes them itchy. I'm sorry but that isn't how it works with cat dander or saliva.

Getting a pet as a gateway in learning to care for a baby works for some people, but the two are very different and babies are 23/7 for decades. There are a lot of things for you to consider in being responsible for another beings life and how much you want to change your life for that.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:39 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
If you are sad about a kitten, you're going to be suicidal about a kid. Better stop while you're ahead.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:51 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
What about the cat is tiring?

Old 09-22-2018, 12:40 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Looks like they merged (and cleaned up) your thread from the Psychology forum... it’s actually interesting to see the different responses, when you compare the “cat people” to those from the psych forum!

I think you’ve gotten enough advice, but I’ll just say what I said before - you need to relax, stop over-thinking it, and let yourself (and the kitten) settle into a comfortable routine. Before you know it, you’ll barely even notice the changes this kitty has caused! I remember feeling a bit overwhelmed when I took in two foster kittens this summer, and had to work them into the routines I already had with my existing pets. But it only took about a week to adjust, and by the time they were adopted, I was very sad to see them go.

Also, try not to think about the inevitable end (when they pass away). Just as with human loved ones, you need to focus on NOW rather than worrying about later. I recently lost my cat Cyrus, who’d been with me for almost 18 years. I cried, and the house felt empty at first, but I am totally at peace with it. He had a wonderful life, and I’m glad we got to share those years together. What’s the old saying; better to have loved and lost, than to not have loved at all? That.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:45 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
P.S. Since this is now on the cat forum, you are officially obligated to post a kitty pic!!

Old 09-22-2018, 12:56 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Looks like they merged (and cleaned up) your thread from the Psychology forum... it’s actually interesting to see the different responses, when you compare the “cat people” to those from the psych forum!

I think you’ve gotten enough advice, but I’ll just say what I said before - you need to relax, stop over-thinking it, and let yourself (and the kitten) settle into a comfortable routine. Before you know it, you’ll barely even notice the changes this kitty has caused! I remember feeling a bit overwhelmed when I took in two foster kittens this summer, and had to work them into the routines I already had with my existing pets. But it only took about a week to adjust, and by the time they were adopted, I was very sad to see them go.

Also, try not to think about the inevitable end (when they pass away). Just as with human loved ones, you need to focus on NOW rather than worrying about later. I recently lost my cat Cyrus, who’d been with me for almost 18 years. I cried, and the house felt empty at first, but now I’m okay with it. He had a wonderful life, and I am glad we got to share those years together. What’s the old saying; better to have loved and lost, than to not have loved at all? That.
Oh, I see now after searching, what had happened to responses. I didn't know it had been in Psychology, as I had taken time to read and contribute. I was not even one being really direct or blunt about the situation, but making suggestions regarding either decision. Just to say, I find it kind of insulting to have something tossed after creating a thoughtful response.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:38 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
I haven't added to this (edited) thread, but am curious to know how the OP and his wife are doing with the kitty now...

Old 09-22-2018, 01:00 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Also, try not to think about the inevitable end (when they pass away). Just as with human loved ones, you need to focus on NOW rather than worrying about later. I recently lost my cat Cyrus, who’d been with me for almost 18 years. I cried, and the house felt empty at first, but I am totally at peace with it. He had a wonderful life, and I’m glad we got to share those years together. What’s the old saying; better to have loved and lost, than to not have loved at all? That.

^^ This is probably the best advice you're going to get. I don't know what went on in the other forum, but Gimzo's response is right on point. Having a living creature for a pet is a commitment that should be taken seriously, just not too seriously.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:21 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
^^ This is probably the best advice you're going to get. I don't know what went on in the other forum, but Gimzo's response is right on point. Having a living creature for a pet is a commitment that should be taken seriously, just not too seriously.

Absolutely. Humans and animals have been cohabitating for centuries, and doing it quite well. Even people who thought they were not "animal lovers" have found out the joys of having one or more of them in their lives.

Right now, I am sitting in my computer chair, and Daisy is laying on the bed, next to me, one paw touching my arm. I am recovering from heart surgery, and she has this uncanny ability to sense someone needs her to comfort them, she always has done that. They can be the best medicine that exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats