Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 03:33 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with the litter from Feline Pine? I would like to find something a bit more environmentally friendly and also something that doesn't track all over the house.

On another note, I have finally found some biodegradable litter box liners for jumbo boxes. They are made by Fresh Kitty and the only place I have found them is at Petco. They have drawstrings which make them "snuggable" on the litter box and then they close to dispose. I will likely still put the the disposed of litter into a paper grocery sack after closing up the liner with the drawstring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 06:52 AM

273 posts, read 1,755,177 times
I've used it. I like the concept, but it seems to disintegrate into something like sawdust when it gets wet. Not very good clumping capabilities, so I was having to replace it more often.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:16 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,107,427 times
I didn't care for it personally. Once you clump, it's hard to go back. I use Arm & Hammer Unscented.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:51 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,454 times
I loved it when we were using it. They have a clumping version of it now that I saw in PetSmart this weekend.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:54 PM

240 posts, read 1,284,589 times
I use Feline Pine and another pine brand called "Cracked Pine."

I have never found a litter that doesn't get tracked around the house, however. Feline Pine will break down into sawdust and that gets tracked around a little bit, but not as much as the sand-clumping litter.

There are possible health concerns with using the sand-clumping litter. The litter gets stuck into the cat's paws, into the paw pad's crevices. When the cat grooms her/himself, she will inevitably swallow some of that litter. I've heard reports from people stating that over a period of time, their cats have developed digestion and intestinal problems which MAY be related to the use of this litter. I don't know if there is any scientific/medical proof that sand-clumping litter is dangerous to a cat, but given that it might be a problem, and given that I don't really like the idea of having silicon particles spread around my home, I chose to use the natural brands.

A neighbor of mine actually does recycle the sawdust from her cat's litter box by spreading it out in her dog run area. If you do that, or even if you do dump it in the garbage, it is certainly a far 'greener' way of dealing with litter.

I don't change the litter box until the litter is completely dissolve into sawdust. With five cats using three boxes, each box lasts roughly one week to ten days before I need to dump it and add new litter.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:51 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,438 times
Default feline pine

I love it!!! wish I didn't have to add the clay type to it. Tried my darndest to switch the hairballs, but no go. the week it was all Feline Pine, both of them gave me the "are you kidding me? You forgot something." Bubba walked over to a silk plant I had and reached into the pot, moved some of the decorative moss and started to dig. I ran and added the clay and we've been happy, they are very picky about the texture of their litter (even if they track it all over the house and mom can step on the sharp pieces). Tried Tidy cat...no go, didn't like the texture, scooped it onto the floor in piles, the Fresh Step with crystals, same thing, nothing but Feline Pine in the bottom and regular old Fresh Step on top. I am fanatical about cleaning the box, 2-3 times a day, to keep the odor away and the FP does a great job of elminating the odor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats