Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 3,198 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I would like to ask for advice. Could be a wall of text, so please forgive me for that.

Some 1 year ago I started thinking about cat. There was one nice, friendly neutered tabby near my house, I used to pet her, feed her, she used to lie on my knees (making biscuits). Finally I started thinking about taking her home, planning what to do and when. She disappeared, then reappeared, then I got news she died. A pity.

I started to look at shelters in my city. Followed largest ones on Facebook. Visited as soon as I noticed some almost perfect cat (i.e. tabby, green eyes, preferably short hair and one that won't ruin my flat). No luck: they either ignore me or softly attack me or second time I come they are already taken.

Up to this day I do look at facebook, I try to go to shelters yet to no results. My demands for cat are easy: >1 years old, friendly, one that won't ruin flat, tabby, preferably short-haired and must not have anything amputed or any illness. So far - no results. There were some cats, but either without leg or without eye or ill with some Corona virus.

Typically I come to shelter knowing which cat I may want. I come with no pre-made opinion, just in need to see, to befriend and if cat shows any attitude - come again to see if we can be friends. Absolutely no results. Mostly I get ignored - cat won't react or would run from me. This what happened with last cat: description in shelter was almost perfect. "She is very independent", I was told. Yes, she ignored me totally. "Maybe you need this one?" - asked me volunteer showing cat with different skin colour, long hair and with 1 eye. She was nice, purring all the time, demanding to be on my knees...yet it was her eye, all i could see was *lack* of one eye, I came second time hoping for miracle. Miracle did not happen, she almost ignored me. I waved her good-bye and left. Few weeks later she had an owner.

Was asked if my demands aren't too high. I think not. I may re-consider skin colour (could be grey or even tri-colour), maybe long-hair could be an option. Yes, call me cruel, but my cat should have, as I joke, "1 head, 2 eyes, 2 ears, 4 legs and 1 tail". Should not have any viruses. What if cat is old? No problem, one with 1 eye was some 8,5 years old and it did not scare me.

There must be an error somewhere. Reminds me my childhood when I enjoyed playing with numbers, like 2+2=2+1+1=1+1+1+1=...making up to, say, 1/32, then calculating again and getting anything, but 4. Our math teacher one time found mistake, noted it...and my play stopped.

Most likely I am making mistake somewhere. Not sure where and how and how to correct one.

Before being mocked: I do want a cat. I know cat may hide for 1 month to adapt. I do know I need to play with cat and that she may accidentally scratch something (not a problem). I know cat is for life and she may become ill, I would need to take care of her.

Question:what am I doing wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 08:14 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Take the one with one eye that loves you! It's not a condition you have to treat. What is the problem with that?

I sort of understand because I wanted my cat to be 'pretty' and I didn't think the one I got was pretty. But she was in an unconventional way and oh, did I love her so. I never have cared about pretty since.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:24 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
The shelter I work at has dozens of cats that fit your criteria. I think you are overthinking it - which is very common, especially in first time cat owners.

Cats are very space sensitive, and often don't show their best selves in a shelter environment. Any cat that will crawl on you and seemingly bond with you at a shelter would do that with anyone, anywhere, any time. They are typically super outgoing, energetic, and will take a lot of attention at home to keep them busy and not bored and destructive.

A shyer, more reserved cat won't bond with you instantly in a visit at a shelter, but are more likely to be a relaxed, friendly cat once they get to know you in a calm environment like your home.

I work with cats extensively, and I can break through the reservedness of some cats in the shelter, but it takes time. Fortunately for those sorts of cats, experienced cat owners know this and will "take a chance" on them, because they know what to look for.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:32 AM

5 posts, read 3,198 times
Cat with one eye is already taken. My problem: when I looked at her, I did not see cat - I saw only lack of that eye. And there were still remnants of that [former] eye seen. I just could not look at her. Tried. Thought, I could live if that missing eye is not seen at all...Yet, I do hope she has nice owners and will live remaining life as nice as possible.

And concerning cats. I often hear stories about cat choosing person.
One story: person walked in city park, cat ran to him, caught his leg and followed him. Well, man adopted cat.
Second story: I went to shelter. A cat called Ninja, simple little tabby. I thought she could be mine, told I would return later. Went next week, already knew I am for Ninja. "Oh, Ninja is preparing to go home" - I was told. A person came to shelter, sat down and Ninja jumped on that man's knees. Was adopted, of course.

No, i don't know how Ninja lives now, but the fact is: she did not react to me, she reacted to another stranger.

So how to behave when I revisit shelter again? What (not) to do? How to understand which cat form 20-30 is mine?

Old 11-22-2018, 08:38 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
The shelter I work at has dozens of cats that fit your criteria. I think you are overthinking it - which is very common, especially in first time cat owners.

Cats are very space sensitive, and often don't show their best selves in a shelter environment. Any cat that will crawl on you and seemingly bond with you at a shelter would do that with anyone, anywhere, any time. They are typically super outgoing, energetic, and will take a lot of attention at home to keep them busy and not bored and destructive.

A shyer, more reserved cat won't bond with you instantly in a visit at a shelter, but are more likely to be a relaxed, friendly cat once they get to know you in a calm environment like your home.

I work with cats extensively, and I can break through the reservedness of some cats in the shelter, but it takes time. Fortunately for those sorts of cats, experienced cat owners know this and will "take a chance" on them, because they know what to look for.
Mine was going to be PTS for being 'too shy' for adoptions. She was an awesome cat. I didn't even meet her first. It was a race against the clock to get her before PTS. I had been drawn to her pic, though. Hiding her face with her paw, I could just tell she was so sweet and adorable and had to be saved.

But I also love the one my Mom chose because he was super-outgoing. He's a good boy, and very cuddly.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthferal View Post
Cat with one eye is already taken. My problem: when I looked at her, I did not see cat - I saw only lack of that eye. And there were still remnants of that [former] eye seen. I just could not look at her. Tried. Thought, I could live if that missing eye is not seen at all...Yet, I do hope she has nice owners and will live remaining life as nice as possible.

And concerning cats. I often hear stories about cat choosing person.
One story: person walked in city park, cat ran to him, caught his leg and followed him. Well, man adopted cat.
Second story: I went to shelter. A cat called Ninja, simple little tabby. I thought she could be mine, told I would return later. Went next week, already knew I am for Ninja. "Oh, Ninja is preparing to go home" - I was told. A person came to shelter, sat down and Ninja jumped on that man's knees. Was adopted, of course.

No, i don't know how Ninja lives now, but the fact is: she did not react to me, she reacted to another stranger.

So how to behave when I revisit shelter again? What (not) to do? How to understand which cat form 20-30 is mine?
I answer a lot of calls to my shelter's "help line" from people who are furious that the cat they adopted isn't the cat they wanted, or the cat isn't what they thought the cat was in the shelter. Those are usually the people that I talked to beforehand that took hours/days/weeks to pick out the "perfect" cat, and want the cat to fill that without fail.

I've never spent more than five minutes picking out a cat in a shelter. You know the age, the colour and coat you want (because people do have preferences, and there's nothing wrong with that!), so find one that ticks the boxes and take him/her.

Cats are living beings, with personalities and emotional needs. They aren't stuffed animals or robots. There is no "perfect". Over time, you form a relationship based on both of your personalities and needs, and they become part of your life.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:36 AM

716 posts, read 557,447 times
I want to get a second cat and it will be hard to figure out which one in a shelter would be compatible with mine. I wonder if it would help to bring a towel with my cat's scent? Or maybe it would just upset the cats in the shelter?

Alternatively, I could bring a towel with a couple cats' scents from the shelter and put it in front of my own cat to see if there's a reaction?

Old 11-22-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
I want to get a second cat and it will be hard to figure out which one in a shelter would be compatible with mine. I wonder if it would help to bring a towel with my cat's scent? Or maybe it would just upset the cats in the shelter?

Alternatively, I could bring a towel with a couple cats' scents from the shelter and put it in front of my own cat to see if there's a reaction?
It wouldn't tell you anything of value. It doesn't indicate anything about whether the cats might like each other or not once they are properly introduced. Cat interactions are way more complicated than that.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:52 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I recently adopted a cat.

My initial criteria was that it be female and long hair grey fur like my last cat. I saw a few from local cat shelters that fit that criteria, but I never received a call back.

I found a similar cat online on a local humane society website so decided to walk in and see. When I walked into the cat area, one cat immediately beckoned me and kept rubbing its head against the glass. This cat was a short haired orange tabby (and male), nothing at all like what I was looking for. But it seemed most friendly so I chose him. Took me maybe 10 minutes of walking around before deciding.

Now cat is recovering from neuter surgery and has an upper respiratory infection, but otherwise is eating well and lively.

Sometimes you just have to go with your gut instinct and not overanalyze things.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:47 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
It wouldn't tell you anything of value. It doesn't indicate anything about whether the cats might like each other or not once they are properly introduced. Cat interactions are way more complicated than that.
For sure. The cats must meet and assess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I recently adopted a cat.

My initial criteria was that it be female and long hair grey fur like my last cat. I saw a few from local cat shelters that fit that criteria, but I never received a call back.

I found a similar cat online on a local humane society website so decided to walk in and see. When I walked into the cat area, one cat immediately beckoned me and kept rubbing its head against the glass. This cat was a short haired orange tabby (and male), nothing at all like what I was looking for. But it seemed most friendly so I chose him. Took me maybe 10 minutes of walking around before deciding.

Now cat is recovering from neuter surgery and has an upper respiratory infection, but otherwise is eating well and lively.

Sometimes you just have to go with your gut instinct and not overanalyze things.
Ha! That is a beautiful story. Kitties have a way of choosing where they think they should go.

We've adopted two pairs of cats. Both times we chose two of the cats who had issues of one sort or another. Issues that in our estimation meant they would live out their lives in the shelter.
Extremely shy. Shelly had been in the shelter three years or more. Would interact with ONE person at the shelter. Maybe past trauma. Scratchy, sent back.

Bizzie was a wild child. Hyperactive and aggressive. It took her two or three years to chill. I still remember one of her first vet visits to Dr. King, The Bestest Vet. He had to use his Hawk Gloves, she was a fireball.

Molly. One bad eye, another shelter was going to snuff her because nobody would want an imperfect animal. The sweetest, she has a very big vocabulary and she and Inky have palled up. They sleep near each other now, from time to time.

River. So shy she hid all the time. Her pooping and peeing issues--yikes! I can't remember the number of times I thought, "These guys just need to go back!" But we stuck it out, a year or so. She's still very shy, she'll let me pet her. I'd guess she had some people trauma because it took a long time for her to come out from under the couch.

Pretty Girl. She was one of the first who'd come to me when I went outside. To feed the birds/squirrels, or later on feed the cats. Pretty Girl had a den about 100' from the garage. She'd see us and she'd charge on over to greet us. She didn't like other cats especially, but she liked my wife and me. She was and is so very sweet and affectionate. We guesstimate she had a loving gwammy/gwampy but for some reason--health, death, mean relatives?--got put out. She was fine outside. Until last winter when it go very very cold, near zero. The other strays seemed fine in the cold, but Pretty Girl was obviously freezing. We brought her into our heated garage and she made some quarters and we made a bed or two and she stayed in during a very cold spell. Then we talked about it and decided to adopt. Checked the lost and founds and saw nothing like her. She's a character.

Inky was getting chased and raped constantly outside. We caught her mother, sister, and pop and took them to the fix it shop. Third time we caught Ink. Vet said we should keep her in her cage for a couple of weeks until she'd recovered and her hormones had dissipated. In her cage, she was the SWEETEST thing, purred and was engaging unlike the other three who were more wild. After two weeks, we were so impressed with her people skills and we also didn't want to release her back out to perhaps more assault and abuse, we kept her in. She is so sweet and playful.

Things work out. We now have two from a shelter--one has the bad eye, which doesn't bother her much, except it weeps a lot from time to time. One was painfully shy and also had all sorts of parasites and also had pooping issues--and two outside cats who either chose us or we chose to remove from an abusive situation. We never planned or expected to have four inside cats. But we do, we love them all, they're all so sweet and adorable, we're blessed.

BTW, orange tabbies...ha, I/we've had two, both were very full of life and other stuff. Personality.

Last edited by Dwatted Wabbit; 11-22-2018 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats