Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 02:38 PM

9 posts, read 4,296 times

Advertisements

It is becoming more and more common for people to share their pets with friends or exes and I have just gotten a new kitten and I really want to have her part-time. There's a lot of information that I have gone over and it is definitely doable. He's an amazing kitty and if you think that you could share a kitten/cat with someone or would like me to provide you with some info about this so that you could consider it let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 03:01 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times
Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I cannot imagine loving and bonding with a cat, or kitten, or any pet for that matter, then sharing it with anyone (even a trusted family member) on a regular basis. Maybe temporally in an emergency situation, but that would be the only time.

Sorry, but time-sharing a living creature isn't something I would do.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:08 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I cannot imagine loving and bonding with a cat, or kitten, or any pet for that matter, then sharing it with anyone (even a trusted family member) on a regular basis. Maybe temporally in an emergency situation, but that would be the only time.

Sorry, but time-sharing a living creature isn't something I would do.

^^Me too.

Cats especially like their routines to be the same every day. I don't think many cats would enjoy having to cope with two different homes, two different sets of people, two different routines, two different diets....sounds like a very bad idea..

If you don't want a kitten "full time" why did you get her? Pets are a lifetime commitment. Bring the kitten back where you got her.

Perhaps fostering would be a better match for you. Contact your local shelters and rescues and find out about their fostering programs.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:13 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Maybe somebody could start a new company called Catber.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:19 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Cats bond with their humans or do not. Cat need routine and lots of sleep, lots of it.

I have a hard time imagining packing out three in their crates, driving them across town and leaving them at someone's place just to rinse and repeat. Too much stress on everyone involved.

The last time a friend shared cats with an ex was when the judge said so.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:51 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
At face value, it might seem like a good idea. People who do not want a full time pet can have one only part time, there's always someone to take kitty(s) if you go on vacation, etc. But like others have pointed out, particularly with cats, it might not shake down too well in reality. And people who truly love their pets (cat owners being among the most devoted) would never dream of sharing their pet.

And what happens if a custody battle ensues, and someone winds up having to shell out for "kitty support" and "cat-imony" or loses visitation rights, etc....

Old 11-27-2018, 06:37 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeez View Post
It is becoming more and more common for people to share their pets with friends or exes and I have just gotten a new kitten and I really want to have her part-time. There's a lot of information that I have gone over and it is definitely doable. He's an amazing kitty and if you think that you could share a kitten/cat with someone or would like me to provide you with some info about this so that you could consider it let me know.

First you say: 'really want to have her part time" then you say "He's an amazing kitty".

There is nothing to consider. What you are suggesting is cruel. No respectable animal owner would have given a kitten to someone to have 'part-time', neither would anyone else want to 'share'.

Please, take this innocent kitten back to the previous owner or to a rescue shelter so he/she can have one loving permanent home.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:40 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
"...share their pets with friends or exes.."
that is Pure NSFW material.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:24 PM

165 posts, read 122,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
First you say: 'really want to have her part time" then you say "He's an amazing kitty".

Why do I feel like OP is my grandmother? She constantly switched up he/she with my cat Max growing up. Usually in the same sentence

Old 11-28-2018, 01:46 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,918,919 times
I've heard of sharing pets, but it's only been with dogs.

Dogs are a different story in that they don't get as attached to a location as cats do.

I've heard of some cats that enjoy traveling, but that's pretty rare. That cat would need to be very outgoing. IMO I would not do this. I'd keep the cat at one home and arrange to visit on a regular schedule instead, so the cat stays in one location.

PS I'm not elderly and I've owned cats all of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats