Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 12:54 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times

Advertisements

Oh no, I'm so very sorry! It appears he may have some other issue? I'm sorry you had to experience this. We lost a cat to lung cancer and I know the distress you're describing. It's the worst to see your kitty struggle to breathe.

Sending purrs to you. Please keep us posted and hoping for better news soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 01:10 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
As much as I hate to say it, it may be time to make that dreaded decision. My heart goes out to you.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:22 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,237,018 times
Had he acted sick prior to (and after) the bloodwork and even before today's event, I would completely agree. And so would my daughter. But he otherwise looks as happy as he always has been.

The vet called around 3 this afternoon and said he has been fine since giving him a diuretic. He had a hunch that this was an acute case of renal failure based on some of this other lab work and that they have overhydrated him, stressing his lungs.

Another update tomorrow morning.

Thanks all!

Old 01-03-2019, 06:24 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Best of luck to you. People usually go from heart failure, cats from kidney failure, if that makes you feel any better - you gave Jinx a good life.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:26 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Had he acted sick prior to (and after) the bloodwork and even before today's event, I would completely agree. And so would my daughter. But he otherwise looks as happy as he always has been.

The vet called around 3 this afternoon and said he has been fine since giving him a diuretic. He had a hunch that this was an acute case of renal failure based on some of this other lab work and that they have overhydrated him, stressing his lungs.

Another update tomorrow morning.

Thanks all!
That would explain the breathing issues he had (similar to congestive heart failure & fluid retention that I've had experience with). A glimmer of hope for sure. Continuing to wish for the best for the little guy.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:56 PM

294 posts, read 180,364 times
Sorry to hear about Jinx. We are currently going throw a similar situation but with lymphoma. It’s very hard to see him not feeling well. It’s an up and down and we are shedding lots of tears. I wish you lots of strength. Your cat is very lucky that you care so much.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:01 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Jinx is our almost 14-year Exotic "Short" hair. In less than a week (vet visit on 12/22 for a cortisone shot for skin allergies), he all but stopped eating and lost a fair amount of weight. Sadly, we didn't really notice due to the holidays, but it was apparent on Wednesday. We took him to the vet yesterday for blood work and the news was not good at all. His kidneys are not functioning and he likely will not be with us much longer. It was a shock.

My daughter and I took him back to the vet for fluid therapy today. He will remain in the vet for the next 4 days and we will see how he progresses next week. If he rebounds, we will give him therapy at home twice a week as long as he is otherwise happy and mobile. If he does not, it will be time to say goodbye.

My daughter and I both said our goodbyes today in the event he takes a turn for the worse.

Sorry to hear about Jinx, always hard when one of the furies have issues.

Almost 2 years ago, we had to put Shilo down, he was in stage 4 renal failure.

And now on another sad note, one of our other cats Oscar now has a massive tumor on his left shoulder. And according to the vet, not even sure if removing his leg will get rid of the cancer. In November Oscar was fine. Some time in December the tumor has grown and grown allot. Oscar is still moving around, and we are just going to keep loving him, and not much else we can do.

There are pictures of Oscar & Shilo on my albums. Along with our other 3 furies.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
This happened to my Smokey. His numbers were very bad. He lived another 8 months with at home IV fluids. I hope your Jinx will do well with the fluids too. ((((hugs))))

DM me if you have any questions or want to talk about it.

When I moved into the house, we had a family of cats who lived on my porch. They were neither domesticated or wild, just resisted messing up their home, the porch. The cats I adopted were from theirs, and for ten years I've loved them as if they 'belonged' to me. Some clicked even better, and were raised in the house, but I cared about them all, even the oldest who was a granny.

I lost some a few years ago when it was discovered a neighbor was spraying poision to get rid of the bugs under the house, even if he wasn't doing any work, sort of just incase. The survivors have been pretty strong. Neither wild nor tame, they would let me pet them on the porch. Then came this spring.

One of the smaller girls, Sweety, solid black and as sweet as her name, got sick about a year ago. The vet said it was from age, and difficulty fighting the disease. Then he said he[d give me a discount on having her put down. I said no.

We went home, and I got more of the homeopathic mix, and gave her one daily treatment, and another if needed. I was astonished that within a week, she showed few effects from the disease if I maintained that first one. She blossomed into this wonderful cat. The other vet said if its working, keep it up.

For almost half a year, she was either close to symptoms free or felt very well. Her fur was thick and shiny. She had this private bit of hiding from her syrenge (stuff didn;t taste too good), but then she'd somehow figured out it was helping. and she'd sit and wait.

Sweety was one of the best kitties ever. She felt like a youngster for a while, but she backed into a more relaxed phase. She loved being held and petted and sleeping curled up on her human. That first doctor had said its only holding it off like that time didnt mean anything. *real* stuff didn't help. But this late fall, she started slipping. The infection is easy to spot. I gave her all the good food she wanted, and snuggles and love and she knew I loved her. Then one day, she couldnt breath. The stuff cleared her for a while and I ;did; her more often, but the other cats got sick too. They were all about the same, old for a cat age.

I lost all of them. Then, recently I added two kittens, likely from a nearby porch, and they are delightful. I can sometimes imagine her watching and purring with joy. One is still likely to be Sweety the second.

When we take animals into our hearts, and we give them much love, it teaches us much about them, and how love is shared, and why even if there is sadness at the end, it enriches ourselves much and makes us wiser so when love comes again, we are ready.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:57 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,237,018 times
Jinx is home for now. He is very lovable and purry. He's getting around ok and currently perched in one of his favorite spots - our bedroom window.

We are holding off the fluids until a follow-up call tomorrow then depending on other factors, he will have bloodwork again Monday or Tuesday.

For now, he is happy and so are we, but the next few days will determine our path forward. However, no more extended vet stays. Jinx very clearly hated being there the past week.

Last edited by Mad_Jasper; 01-04-2019 at 11:12 AM..

Old 01-04-2019, 11:10 AM

294 posts, read 180,364 times
Wonderful news! Enjoy every second with him. Our (lymphoma) cat has a good day today too. He just joined us for lunch and wanted a few treats, which makes us happy and smiling ��.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats