Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 08:56 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times

Advertisements

My girl is 14 and been diabetic for 6yrs. She was doing really well but the food she used to eat, only Fancy Feast Classic Pate has changed there formula and the carbs are higher. I have to stop giving it to her. Plus, I noticed on Amazon, several scathing reviews about how FFCP was making kitties sick. I don't want my girl to get sick, or worse.

I have tried other grain free canned foods and those are always a hit or miss but I still try to give them to her.

I usually go through a carb calculation to make sure the food is 10% or less of carbs.

So, any suggestions for wet food that is low carb? What do other diabetic kitties eat?

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited by brava4; 02-22-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 01:42 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
I don't have a diabetic cat but we try to feed grain free foods. Do you already know about this site, which lists nutritional information (including carbs) for a ton of wet foods? Canned Cat Food Nutritional Information

And there's this amazing diabetes page too: Feline Diabetes —Diabetes in Cats — Treatment and Diabetic Cat Info — FDMB

Kudos to you for doing good for your kitty!

Old 02-22-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I don't have a diabetic cat but we try to feed grain free foods. Do you already know about this site, which lists nutritional information (including carbs) for a ton of wet foods? Canned Cat Food Nutritional Information

And there's this amazing diabetes page too: Feline Diabetes —Diabetes in Cats — Treatment and Diabetic Cat Info — FDMB

Kudos to you for doing good for your kitty!

Thanks so much, I will check both out.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:52 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Good for you for keeping tabs on Purina. That's one of the many problems with feeding commercial diets. They make changes all the time and you may not even realize you're not even feeding the same food any more.

Are you open to a raw or home cooked diet? That would be the best way to control the carbs in her diet. There are a couple of pre-mixes that would make it very easy for you to do.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Good for you for keeping tabs on Purina. That's one of the many problems with feeding commercial diets. They make changes all the time and you may not even realize you're not even feeding the same food any more.

Are you open to a raw or home cooked diet? That would be the best way to control the carbs in her diet. There are a couple of pre-mixes that would make it very easy for you to do.

I have thought about raw but know little about it. I also hate the idea of buying premade and kitty just walking away. I will check out recipes for homemade.

Have you ever made it yourself? My grandmother made her dog, Jerry, homemade food all his life. Talk about luxury. He lived a very long time.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:37 PM

Are there no other cat owners with a diabetic cat?

Old 02-23-2019, 03:56 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I have thought about raw but know little about it. I also hate the idea of buying premade and kitty just walking away. I will check out recipes for homemade.

Have you ever made it yourself? My grandmother made her dog, Jerry, homemade food all his life. Talk about luxury. He lived a very long time.

Thanks for the suggestion.

You're welcome. Yes I feed a raw diet. I used to feed a rotation of muscle meat with the meat completer EZcomplete and some commercial (Rad Cat) raw, and prey model raw.

Rad Cat has closed now so as I run through my remaining stock I am gradually transitioning to all home made which consists of: a few prey model meals each week (with egg shell calcium instead of bone) and the rest with EZcomplete and Alnutrin pre-mixes.

I am never comfortable using only one feeding method, which is why I've begun adding Alnutrin to the rotation. Before, the only pre-mix I used was Food Fur Life's EZcomplete which was created by people I know and trust. I still trust them with my cats' lives and well being but..I prefer to feed a rotation.

Food Fur Life - EZ Homemade raw food for pets!

Know What You Feed - A Guide To A Balanced Homemade Cat Food

By the way both these pre-mixes can also be used with cooked meat. You must know the weight of the meat before cooking, cook very lightly, and include all juices in the finished product.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:03 PM

catsmom21... Wow, thanks a lot for all that info and names of brands. I just retired so I have time to look into this, for my girl. She is so good and easy to treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats