Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 02:19 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times

Advertisements

Slowpoke Rodriquez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 05:11 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delhidi View Post
I thought it was funny. People should just chill out some.

Or perhaps "people" should accept that not everyone sees things the same way they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Hello everyone. Just want to say that I apologize if this post offended anyone. It was certainly not my intent. I will give more thought to what I'm posting in the future.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:28 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Oh, lordy. You know, I've never been a fan of gun fans. They can be useful tools, for sure, and I'll never have the skill to harvest a deer with a bow. But I don't like the way we, in the US, have put guns on a pedestal these past 40 or so years. And personally I don't like the original photo. I find it unnerving rather than funny - but I'll get back to that in a moment.

Now, having said all that? I don't think there is anything wrong with this. Tom was ALWAYS determined to kill Jerry. The humor lay both in the improbable cartoon violence, and the outsmarting of Tom by Jerry.

So, why did I find it unnerving? I can only guess,but perhaps because the picture is a REAL cat, and the shotgun is a REAL gun - that in my subconscious I think "This time Jerry may die!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
What good would Yosemite Sam be if he couldn't get up and shoot 15 or 20 shots in the air out of his 2 six shooters? Look at all the times Tom and Jerry smacked each other with a skillet hard enough to make an impression in it and they walk away. That wasn't violence. Back then it was something we all sat in the floor and laughed like crazy when it happened and nobody thought a thing of getting a gun and doing any of it.
The two elements that may have offended here are guns and perceived violence, and I'm guessing the main offender is the gun.

In regards to violence in either photoshopped images or cartoons, any seasoned cat person realizes cats are predators. I am presently without a furry companion, but my two neighbors both just got outdoor "free roam" cats and I just raked up two "crime scenes" in my yard where nothing was left but a mass of feathers...

In reality, domestic house cats (spayed/neutered) are only "violent" when hunting (not that they need to), rough play or briefly squabbling with other house pets or outdoor animals to stake "territory" or have the offender stop annoying them. Any violence is kept to the necessary minimum to diffuse the situation, no unnecessary or "elective" violence.

Actual real life videos can be the funniest if one simply "accepts the moment" of the video and sets aside potential offensiveness and objections (not easy to do sometimes, I know!). At the very least, the video below expresses the "economy" cats use with violence, and the "conditions" in which they dole it out (usually to simply be left alone)...

The Cat And The Bear

Old 03-20-2019, 09:14 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
It was a cartoon and I saw the humor in it. I don't like guns (in real life - good one, CatDad), either, but I didn't find it offensive. If it was a stressed out mother and some children, that would be very offensive. But a cat wielding a gun is ludicrous to begin with, and your signal that what follows is not real. And Jerry deserves a good kick for sure.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
It was a cartoon and I saw the humor in it. I don't like guns (in real life - good one, CatDad), either, but I didn't find it offensive. If it was a stressed out mother and some children, that would be very offensive. But a cat wielding a gun is ludicrous to begin with, and your signal that what follows is not real. And Jerry deserves a good kick for sure.

The picture in the original post is not a cartoon. It is a picture of a real cat with a gun in his or her paws. Of course it's fake. I never thought someone had actually put a gun in a cat's paws. and the cat held it long enough to be photographed.

The point is, I find it offensive because Guns. Are. Not. Funny. With the culture we live in now? Seriously.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:47 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Hello everyone. Just want to say that I apologize if this post offended anyone. It was certainly not my intent. I will give more thought to what I'm posting in the future.
Catdad, I DO understand why people might not like that picture in the OP ... I mean, I don't much like guns either (despite growing up in the military, and despite the fact that I may get a gun myself at some future date for self-defense purposes as an aging woman mostly living alone).

BUT, to the rest of you: come on, it's CATDAD. He's amazing and sweet and wonderful and has made me (and I suspect all of YOU too!) smile and laugh and cry at more posts than I can even remember at this point. He's posted things that I would have never seen otherwise, that have enriched my life immeasurably. I kind of wish he lived in New Hampshire next door to me so we could be "in-person" friends and our kitties could meet each other. So yeah, I do give him some slack on this one.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Catdad, I DO understand why people might not like that picture in the OP ... I mean, I don't much like guns either (despite growing up in the military, and despite the fact that I may get a gun myself at some future date for self-defense purposes as an aging woman mostly living alone).

BUT, to the rest of you: come on, it's CATDAD. He's amazing and sweet and wonderful and has made me (and I suspect all of YOU too!) smile and laugh and cry at more posts than I can even remember at this point. He's posted things that I would have never seen otherwise, that have enriched my life immeasurably. I kind of wish he lived in New Hampshire next door to me so we could be "in-person" friends and our kitties could meet each other. So yeah, I do give him some slack on this one.

Of course. But I'm not going to pretend to like the post, just because I like the person who posted. I suspected he had a momentary lapse of judgement (who hasn't?) and he confirmed it with his own follow up posts. Which I greatly appreciate.

But it doesn't change how I felt seeing that post. I took some time before I addressed it, but it wouldn't go away in my head so, at the end of the day (as they saying goes)..I had to speak out.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:45 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
The picture in the original post is not a cartoon. It is a picture of a real cat with a gun in his or her paws. Of course it's fake. I never thought someone had actually put a gun in a cat's paws. and the cat held it long enough to be photographed.

The point is, I find it offensive because Guns. Are. Not. Funny. With the culture we live in now? Seriously.
I respect your opinion and I'm completely against guns in the hands of probably most of the people who have them, but in my mind it has nothing to do with a Tom and Jerry joke. One is a real life issue and the other is a JOKE.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:57 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

Ok, heard you the first time around. Does even the cat forum turn into a political anti gun platform?

Old 03-21-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Ok, heard you the first time around. Does even the cat forum turn into a political anti gun platform?

I didn't post the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats