Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 701 times

Advertisements

I have an older cat (15 years) who has been taking Royal Canin Feline S/O (in cans) for about 10 years. Is a very healthy, happy cat. I believe the food has served her well.
The problem I have is that once a year her vet visit (vet now visits her) is so traumatic that I'm not sure how much more she can take. Each year, it takes her longer to recover from the trauma. Last year, she became afraid of her Cat Genie litter box (used it without a problem) but after the visit, couldn't be in the same room as it.
She is a very well behaved indoor cat. I know the vet visit is necessary to renew her prescription, and he does give her a rabies shot. But, it is such a struggle, it isn't as if he can actually examine her. I am looking for a vet who prescribes online, or an avenue to get the food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 11:22 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Why was she put on that food in the first place? What diagnosis?

Old 03-23-2019, 11:23 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Have you actually asked the vet if s/he would continue to "prescribe" this diet without the annual visit? A cat of that age (indoor only?) does not need any more rabies shots anyway.

HOWEVER, having said all that, in spite of the stress your senior kitty feels having a vet come to the house once a year, I think it is important that you continue to do it. A senior cat needs careful monitoring and the vet may notice something you don't, especially only seeing her once a year, where as you see her all the time.

Get some Rescue Remedy for the visits. It's a calming tincture, very effective for many cats. I have a cat who has fear aggression at the vet, almost impossible to examine her. She has to be anesthetized for the vet to look in her mouth, for example. She also is terrified of home visitors, even people she's known all her life. The rescue remedy helps her a lot.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:15 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Have you actually asked the vet if s/he would continue to "prescribe" this diet without the annual visit? A cat of that age (indoor only?) does not need any more rabies shots anyway.

HOWEVER, having said all that, in spite of the stress your senior kitty feels having a vet come to the house once a year, I think it is important that you continue to do it. A senior cat needs careful monitoring and the vet may notice something you don't, especially only seeing her once a year, where as you see her all the time.

Get some Rescue Remedy for the visits. It's a calming tincture, very effective for many cats. I have a cat who has fear aggression at the vet, almost impossible to examine her. She has to be anesthetized for the vet to look in her mouth, for example. She also is terrified of home visitors, even people she's known all her life. The rescue remedy helps her a lot.
This is a very good idea. I had this stuff yrs ago but never used it fearing it'd cause probs. But knowing the anxiety our cat has (& the outdoor feral & his behavior) it is worth a retry. I know I will NEED it, haha, if none of the cats need it.

But seriously, more folks might benefit from it as opposed to harsh meds that vets use to tranquilize/calm cats that are scared or have high anxiety levels. Very good idea indeed.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:39 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
Quote:
I am looking for a vet who prescribes online, or an avenue to get the food.
[url]https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_in_r_p_89_6?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A2619533011% 2Cn%3A!2619534011%2Cn%3A2975241011%2Cn%3A297526501 1%2Cp_89%3ARoyal+Canin[/url]

Old 03-23-2019, 02:29 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
This is a very good idea. I had this stuff yrs ago but never used it fearing it'd cause probs. But knowing the anxiety our cat has (& the outdoor feral & his behavior) it is worth a retry. I know I will NEED it, haha, if none of the cats need it.

But seriously, more folks might benefit from it as opposed to harsh meds that vets use to tranquilize/calm cats that are scared or have high anxiety levels. Very good idea indeed.

Thanks friend. I take it myself. The the same pet version I give the cats, because the human version has alcohol in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats