Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 02:33 PM

20 posts, read 8,958 times

Advertisements

I hope your sweet Whitey is ok. Please keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 02:34 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Is there any possibility of switching vets at this point in time? I know the one vet did the surgery and "knows" the cat and stuff, but if they're not very responsive it makes one wonder.
Get copies of all of your records from your (still current?) vet, just in case. They are your records.

Also, have you tried adding some chicken or turkey baby food to his food to entice him? Lots of cats love meat baby food.

So sorry you're still dealing with this. IMO I would have driven over there and waited to talk to someone right. darn. now. (And I have done this in the past with previous vets!)

Old 04-17-2019, 02:53 PM

You are taking such good care of Whitey. In all my life of having cats, nothing has been scarier than my blocked cat. It is such a major surgery and probably with pain meds having worn off, perhaps he just wants to lay low for now? Cannabis oil? Sheesh - the poor little thing had major surgery. I agree with what you said about the pain meds. It is too bad Whitey can't get more of the meds. Please, please, I would encourage you to keep him Rx food as long as you can - without the cranberry. Most rx foods contain a urinary acidifier and if you add cranberry, it could run the risk of the PH going too low. My boy has been on Royal Canin SO and all I know is he is healthy for over a year now. I tried Hill's, too, but he prefers RC. Please keep us posted on Whitey. He is a very handsome boy, by the way.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:03 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodyhere View Post
You are taking such good care of Whitey. In all my life of having cats, nothing has been scarier than my blocked cat. It is such a major surgery and probably with pain meds having worn off, perhaps he just wants to lay low for now? Cannabis oil? Sheesh - the poor little thing had major surgery. I agree with what you said about the pain meds. It is too bad Whitey can't get more of the meds. Please, please, I would encourage you to keep him Rx food as long as you can - without the cranberry. Most rx foods contain a urinary acidifier and if you add cranberry, it could run the risk of the PH going too low. My boy has been on Royal Canin SO and all I know is he is healthy for over a year now. I tried Hill's, too, but he prefers RC. Please keep us posted on Whitey. He is a very handsome boy, by the way.
Thanks for the advice. I got the cranberry stuff because he has a UTI, and the vet was in agreement that cranberry would be good. Even said he would give Whitey some while he was in the hospital for 4 days.

But I'll hold off on it for now because he is eating prescription food.

Yeah, I hear you on that cannabis oil. Maybe it does work, maybe it doesn't affect him, but to tell me to give it to him, after a major surgery - his bladder had to be fixed, along with the PU surgery that he got - something you know nothing about - oh, I forgot the best part in that story: After the night vet got done telling me that she knows nothing about cannabis oil, (but still I should give it to my cat), she proceeded to tell me that the lady who has the cannabis oil for sale is "a respiratory therapist", as if that somehow made it ok.

When my pet is sick, I don't take them to a respiratory therapist that works on humans, I take them to the vet. So, how about the vet tell me their knowledge and research about giving young cats, who just underwent not one, but TWO major surgeries, cannabis, and not tell me "they out here sayin'" or "respiratory therapist can give you more information."

Damn, I forgot that earlier, but thanks for reminding me to bring that up, as well, when I talk to management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Get copies of all of your records from your (still current?) vet, just in case. They are your records.

Also, have you tried adding some chicken or turkey baby food to his food to entice him? Lots of cats love meat baby food.

So sorry you're still dealing with this. IMO I would have driven over there and waited to talk to someone right. darn. now. (And I have done this in the past with previous vets!)
I will do exactly that with the records, thanks for the advice.

Why I didn't barge in there and demand an explanation? Because by the time I got out of the mechanics and the time I got off the phone for the 3rd damn time trying to get answers, I was told that by the time I got there, I would be talking to that night vet again. NOPE. They even put in my records that I don't want to deal with the night crew from here on out. That's why I have an appointment for tomorrow.

Edit: Just called another vet. Explained the basics, (not the stuff I will talk to management about), and once I get my records, they would be willing to set up an exam, review the records, and come up with a treatment plan based on all of that, and go forward from there. So, current vet and management need to talk to me tomorrow or they lose my business.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 04-17-2019 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 03:09 PM

Incredible. I am just glad he is okay. Yeah, I remember the ER vet sending me home with a few syringes of pain meds and I had requested more for him and they refused. Fortunately, he was okay, though. You and Whitey have been through H*ll and back with that PU surgery. Did they give you some anti-anxiety meds for him? They gave my boy alprazolam for awhile.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:32 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Is there any possibility of switching vets at this point in time? I know the one vet did the surgery and "knows" the cat and stuff, but if they're not very responsive it makes one wonder.
I agree. Whitey may or may not be 'fine', but you may need to find a vet that will actually... you know, listen to you so you can find out one way or the other.

Wishing the best for you both.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:06 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
What an ordeal! Poor little guy - and poor you! Good luck with the vet(s) tomorrow.

My male cat had a blockage and UTI a few years ago, but it wasn't as serious as Whitey's. He's been doing fine (knock on wood) on Wysong Uretic canned food. No prescription is required, but it ain't cheap ($2/can). He was on Hill's c/d at first, but I hated giving him that stuff.

I bought a few of those gravity water bowls with filters for water (because I'm an airhead who sometimes forgets to give the cats fresh water).

All paws crossed at our house for Whitey!

Old 04-18-2019, 01:32 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Back from the vet.

Went into exam room pretty quickly. Tech came in, weighed him and took his temp. He decided that was a great time to pee all over the exam room. Said it was him showing the vets that he can go on his own, "no need to do anything, leave me alone, guys!"

While waiting for the vet, the management came in to talk to me, per my request. She heard me out about all of it, and then profusely apologized, told me that she understood, gave me examples of how she understood, stated she would talk to staff about "bedside manner", I didn't have to feel like I was being a burden or that they didn't care because "we all know Whitey, everyone here loves Whitey".

She also said that if I ever feel the need to have him seen, I am to just come in, they will fit me in, because "he is a priority" right now.

She acknowledged that he had major surgery, that the treatment at home is also important, at all times I should feel comfortable asking any question I want, understood that there's much I don't know and will have questions and concerns, and that everyone should be treating this as if it was their own pet.

And she totally got me on the recommendation for pain relief being suggested by the vet who then stated she knew nothing about it.

And they are going to try to find my damn towel, or they will make up for it.

I felt a lot better after talking to her.

Vet came in, felt around, at first said it seemed Whitey's bladder was getting bigger again, so he apparently squeezed Whitey in the correct spot and out came the rest of it...again, all over the exam room table. But, the good news is, once that was done, he said that Whitey's bladder is back to normal again - he just needed to test that out because if he didn't go, if he cried out in pain, then we would have a problem. But becuase Whitey went when he squeezed, and it was clear, all was really good.

Suture site looks good. (Obviously can't tell about the inside one) but based on everything else, the vet is pretty sure it's fine - the jumping was more than likely not the cause of the pain, more that his pain medication had worn off.

So:

Weight good
Temp good
Appetite was back this morning - so good
Bladder size good (after peeing everywhere)
Urine clear so good
Lots of energy to put up a fight with me and the vets - that's the Whitey I know, not the complacent one who lets people do anything to him.

Day crew is way better than night crew but management really did the job when talking to me today. Night crew will get their talking to and adjust, and apparently everyone will get a talking to, just so everyone is on the same page in how they treat people who come in.

And I also paid compliments where they were due , so it's not all complaining.

And I was surprised to hear that they consider Whitey a "priority", and he can be seen whenever I think it's necessary - no need to even call. The one tech did say, last week, that Whitey was the first cat they've ever done this on...so he's apparently famous with all those who work there.

I had to give them a chance to have their say regarding my complaints, and they did, very satisfactorily. I will stay there while Whitey gets through this.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:04 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Glad you BOTH had a great vet visit!!!

Old 04-18-2019, 02:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
A lousy vet! I've never known one to NOT take emergencies....

Hoping for the best.

My male cat had blockages so often they surgically created an opening in the lower abdomen so he'd not get blocked again...can't remember surgery name....urethrostomy maybe? He was fine after that....
I had one that did not, worse is it was my normal vet. Last time I ever stepped foot in there. Went to another vet, he was crazy nice and good, all was good with my cat (suspected broken rear leg, was not broken, all good).

Yea, the website even advertised that it accepts emergencies, while I was waiting, actually witnessed the vet taking her sweet time discussing BS with a customer. After I pressed more, find out the vet went to lunch, so it would be another hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats