Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 09:03 AM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times

Advertisements

I've had 2 spayed so far this summer. Before, they were accepted in the flock/herd/gaggle. Now they're both being chased away.

what gives? even the friendliest ferals want nothing to do with them and won't let them eat unless I'm standing right there.

gotta run for a bit bit I'm looking forward to some answers...please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 09:14 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
If you spayed them recently, perhaps they are being shunned because they smell "off" (like vet/people). Are you able to rub a towel on any of the friendly ferals to spread the "good" smells back?

I've spayed four ferals. One was a loner female. Two were males. I honestly haven't seen the fourth cat we've spayed in months, so IDK if he survived the winter. I realize this isn't much help, but IME most of the cats we've trapped have been either loners or in small groups.

My guess is that they need more time to re-integrate.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:03 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
It isn't unusual for neutered male dogs to behave aggressively towards intact males. I guess its not surprising that cats act catty.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:13 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Give them time, we did tnr on at least 20 cats, but we were not the only food source, plus some wer loners or litter mates, so did not notice any negative reactions. It is a good thing to do, thank you for helping them.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:38 PM

most recent was 4/25.

May appointment were cancelled by the clinic.

Another one this week.

I guess it's just the way kitties are. sigh

Old 06-04-2019, 12:42 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
OP, your observation is correct, imho; and I have no answer for you. I guess the females are just lower in the heirarchy
of catdom. We have one outdoor female, spayed; and she is the lowest on the totem pole. The males allow her to eat, but only after they do so. I often think of the lions' prides. It looks very similar to me. As long as she is allowed food, (seems like yours are not) I don't worry.
See if one of the males befriends her. That's what has happened in my case.

* A clowder of cats. I love saying that

Old 06-04-2019, 03:02 PM

They're all female. but maybe they sense that the spayed ones are odd in some way.

got 4 more regulars to do and one calico that only comes around sometimes.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:34 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Yes, I've thought that too. They can somewhow sense the difference.
All females? Never been in that situation, so again, I cannot help. Only empathize.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:19 PM

well, I can send you some if you like.

I've got one small long haired torty, a regular size torty (Splotch), 2 solid gray, one with orange highlights (spayed and not liked at the moment) , a tiger and white (pretty but quite nasty-named Spot because there's a white spot in the tiger stripes), a tiger with no white( started off as quite the ugly kitten, now quite attractive adult-spayed and not liked)

probably more.

so how many would you like? I'll share.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:58 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
well, I can send you some if you like.

I've got one small long haired torty, a regular size torty (Splotch), 2 solid gray, one with orange highlights (spayed and not liked at the moment) , a tiger and white (pretty but quite nasty-named Spot because there's a white spot in the tiger stripes), a tiger with no white( started off as quite the ugly kitten, now quite attractive adult-spayed and not liked)

probably more.

so how many would you like? I'll share.
I love Torties! I'll take two - let me know when I can pick them up from the airport. Just kidding of course (kinda of).

How soon after spaying did you notice the behavioral changes? I too believe it may be the smell - they became 'strangers' if that makes any sense. Eventually, they'll get used to the new odor and they won't be newbies any longer.

Thanks for taking care of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats