Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:25 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times

Advertisements

I’m glad to see that happening. It’s cruel, and I came to that conclusion after working one summer at a veterinarian while in college. Our (cat only) vet refuses to do them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 02:28 PM

15,820 posts, read 6,527,022 times
We had declawed cats when I was a kid, and they were fine as long as they stayed indoors. Outdoor cats though need a way to defend themselves.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:03 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
We had declawed cats when I was a kid, and they were fine as long as they stayed indoors. Outdoor cats though need a way to defend themselves.

I can assure you those cats weren't "fine". When you cut the weight bearing toes off a cat, they are never "fine" again. It is unlikely a child would notice a cat's pain, since cats hide pain even in the most extreme cases. The case against declawing is far more than "they need to defend themselves." Which is why it is banned (or never done) in over 40 countries, 7 provinces in Canada so far, and hopefully, New York State (once the governor signs it)

Old 06-05-2019, 03:54 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
This has NOTHING to do with whether a kitty is inside or goes outside. Only one state has taken the correct initiative to rid this country of the cruelty these innocent cats must endure for life.

My neighbor couldn't wait to tell me how she had her beautiful kitty's 'nails fixed'. "Oh, but the vet did it with laser", "there was no pain". So I asked her how she would feel after an ignorant doc cut off her fingers at the first knuckle -- forever in pain. It is barbaric.

Every state should get this subject to the forefront and follow NY in passing this humane law.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:15 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I can assure you those cats weren't "fine". When you cut the weight bearing toes off a cat, they are never "fine" again. It is unlikely a child would notice a cat's pain, since cats hide pain even in the most extreme cases. The case against declawing is far more than "they need to defend themselves." Which is why it is banned (or never done) in over 40 countries, 7 provinces in Canada so far, and hopefully, New York State (once the governor signs it)
Cats aren’t stupid either. They know they have no claws which means biting is their only defense. If a person doesn’t like a cat’s claws, it’s simple, don’t own a cat. They’re obviously not the animal for you. Get a rabbit or a dog.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:08 PM

298 posts, read 303,179 times
My cat still has her claws. Yes, she claws the top of the sofa but usually I try to throw some kind of blanket or covering on top and if she claws that its ok. We had a scratching post but she never used it, oh well. We have carpet on our stairs and in some of the rooms and sometimes she goes to town on it but we get after her gently and she stops. There are those nail caps you can put on cats claws if you don't want them to claw up your furniture. The nail caps can stay on about a month or several weeks I think they are called soft paws. You can also keep the nails clipped with the claw clippers just keep some styptic powder on hand just in case. We keep our cat inside even though she has her claws and this is for her own safety and also to protect the wildlife she could harm. Yes, a few of our screens are clawed up too but we will get them rescreened eventually and try to catch her in the act of scratching and tell her no. We love our cat so much she is our only animal but she brings us so much love we would never think to declaw her. Yes, we have had friends bragging about how nice their home is since they got their feline declawed. I could never do that to my kitty. Cats and dogs all have their issues-we had a small dog for 15 1/2 yrs that passed away but the dog in its senior years peed all over the carpet and wood floors and then toward the end was pooping on the carpet-it wasn't her fault it was just old age problems. After she passed we changed out the floors but its ok the house needed some refreshing anyway. It just comes with animal ownership. If you want a perfect house and yard its probably best not to get a pet.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:46 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Governor Cuomo has signed the bill into law, effective immediately.
It is now illegal to declaw cats in New York State!

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation...32/amendment/b

(Massachusetts bill is being heard today)

Old 07-22-2019, 01:30 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:

Great news, and thanks for the update.

May the dominoes continue to fall.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:19 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
My first cat who I adopted from a shelter had been declawed (front and back paws) by her previous owner. I have a kitten now who has claws, and this has been my first experience with claws. The only time he scratches inappropriately is when he gets mad when I close him out of a room, and he tears up the carpet around the bottom of the door in protest. I do wish he’d stop that, but aside from that, the claws haven’t been a problem and I would not consider having him declawed. He is a sweet and friendly kitten and he is meant to have claws!

Old 07-22-2019, 05:23 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:

This need be national/federal law by now tho!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats