Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 04:28 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I will pick up some litter or horse bedding tonight. Both cats have used the teeny-tiny uncovered pan box that I keep in their carriers so I'm hopeful this will be worked through. I have a huge plastic bin from IKEA that I might be able to transform into a box.
Is there a reason you have not simply bought a litter box/boxes from the pet store rather than rigging up something? Have had kitties all my life and never used anything but a decent plastic kitty litter box and the Dr. Elsey's kitty litter (imo, it's the best). All my litter boxes have had covers with a scent filter in them. Remember also, that cardboard will eventually soak up urine, and the scent will be like vinegar.

It takes patience for a kitty (and owner) to re-learn something, especially when the kitty has litter mates. The key is to be consistent and not confusing by changing things around. I would NOT try the horse bedding, just get back to whatever unscented litter worked best. I would even go as far as giving the kitty a small treat after she exits the box. And stick to one method. One.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 04:44 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Is there a reason you have not simply bought a litter box/boxes from the pet store rather than rigging up something? Have had kitties all my life and never used anything but a decent plastic kitty litter box and the Dr. Elsey's kitty litter (imo, it's the best). All my litter boxes have had covers with a scent filter in them. Remember also, that cardboard will eventually soak up urine, and the scent will be like vinegar.

It takes patience for a kitty (and owner) to re-learn something, especially when the kitty has litter mates. The key is to be consistent and not confusing by changing things around. I would NOT try the horse bedding, just get back to whatever unscented litter worked best. I would even go as far as giving the kitty a small treat after she exits the box. And stick to one method. One.
Oh, I'm sorry if you're under the impression that we've never bought cat boxes. Actually, it's the opposite..
Here is what we've been using: [url]https://www.chewy.com/clevercat-top-entry-litter-box/dp/133367?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content =Clevercat&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2dSY29H74gI VisVkCh0eHg_0EAQYCCABEgItXfD_BwE[/url]

I'm not going to be able to give him treats at this time because of his food allergy.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:01 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Try the no top litter boxes. Have you done that already? I know some cats don't like the enclosed top idea, especially in a litter box and diving down to what's in there.

You might start with something very low-sided since he has liked lower places like towels. A bankers box top or something you might find in a hardware store.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:12 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
OP, I understand your frustration and your getting annoyed at posters that you feel were not helpful (even though I KNOW they were trying to be) -- but please understand that this is the CATS forum and you entitled your new thread "I'm ready to throw away my cat!"

Can you understand why that wording was, well, problematic to say the least? I can tell from your posts here that you are really trying to figure out what is going on so you will have many more years with your kitty, but geez, that title was really, really awful.

I've occasionally had kitties that for whatever reason stopped using the litter box. Sometimes they would pee/poop JUST OUTSIDE of it. I've always had multiple cats so what was the MOST puzzling to me is that clearly the boxes weren't "offensive" to my other cats -- just one particular kitty (at a time). So it was incredibly frustrating and yeah, all I wanted to do was scream at the kitty USE YOUR FREAKIN' LITTER BOX, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, but their minds don't work the same way ours do, so I knew that wouldn't work. Instead, I would take them to the vet, would try a new litter box (or two), would try a different kind of litter, etc. Sometimes I couldn't exactly tell WHAT worked (since I would often try multiple things at the same time), but usually SOMETHING did.

Others have given you good suggestions -- even those you found to be unhelpful (they really weren't). Please keep us posted on what happens, as we really do understand that these things can be really annoying -- but please don't give up on the kitty or "throw him away" as you said in the title. I know you didn't mean it, but that was a really poor choice of words, you know?

Old 06-21-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Try the no top litter boxes. Have you done that already? I know some cats don't like the enclosed top idea, especially in a litter box and diving down to what's in there.

You might start with something very low-sided since he has liked lower places like towels. A bankers box top or something you might find in a hardware store.
We did before the move last fall. Litter got everywhere because of the other cat. The current boxes contain everything, but I know they prefer to "spread out". This is why I am considering making my own. I work as a pet sitter and I have clients that have made their own. This will be a problem that I will need to work on. There won't be a quick and simple fix.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, I understand your frustration and your getting annoyed at posters that you feel were not helpful (even though I KNOW they were trying to be) -- but please understand that this is the CATS forum and you entitled your new thread "I'm ready to throw away my cat!"

Can you understand why that wording was, well, problematic to say the least? I can tell from your posts here that you are really trying to figure out what is going on so you will have many more years with your kitty, but geez, that title was really, really awful.
I took it as hyperbole. I've seen enough of the OP's posts in other parts of the forum to know she's likely a decent person who wouldn't throw away a cat.

No advice, OP, but I know what you mean...

Old 06-21-2019, 05:20 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
If anybody really took the thread title literally, they take things too seriously.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

I've occasionally had kitties that for whatever reason stopped using the litter box. Sometimes they would pee/poop JUST OUTSIDE of it. I've always had multiple cats so what was the MOST puzzling to me is that clearly the boxes weren't "offensive" to my other cats -- just one particular kitty (at a time). So it was incredibly frustrating and yeah, all I wanted to do was scream at the kitty USE YOUR FREAKIN' LITTER BOX, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, but their minds don't work the same way ours do, so I knew that wouldn't work. Instead, I would take them to the vet, would try a new litter box (or two), would try a different kind of litter, etc. Sometimes I couldn't exactly tell WHAT worked (since I would often try multiple things at the same time), but usually SOMETHING did.

Others have given you good suggestions -- even those you found to be unhelpful (they really weren't). Please keep us posted on what happens, as we really do understand that these things can be really annoying -- but please don't give up on the kitty or "throw him away" as you said in the title. I know you didn't mean it, but that was a really poor choice of words, you know?
It was a mistake. I didn't give myself any time of processing the problem before sitting down and writing my post. Indeed I should have recognized the sensitivity of my audience. Thank you for being kind with me.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:51 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
If your cat is declawed he has special needs. Avoiding the litter box is very common for cats in chronic pain from declawing. I am not having a go at you, really I'm not, but it is something you need to understand. He needs x rays to determine if there is any damage to his paws (bone chips, claw regrowth are both extremely common, as is tendon retraction), to check for arthritis in his spine. There is a lot that can be done for him if he is in pain.

What matters to me is your cat. Your posts describe a very unhappy stressed cat. I don't understand why you can't start thinking about what his behavior is telling you about him and his needs. He does need to see the vet, as he may have bladder or urinary tract infection, on top of everything else. Please, try looking at it all from his point of view. Please, for Thomas's sake..

Old 06-21-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
If your cat is declawed he has special needs. Avoiding the litter box is very common for cats in chronic pain from declawing. I am not having a go at you, really I'm not, but it is something you need to understand. He needs x rays to determine if there is any damage to his paws (bone chips, claw regrowth are both extremely common, as is tendon retraction), to check for arthritis in his spine. There is a lot that can be done for him if he is in pain.

What matters to me is your cat. Your posts describe a very unhappy stressed cat. I don't understand why you can't start thinking about what his behavior is telling you about him and his needs. He does need to see the vet, as he may have bladder or urinary tract infection, on top of everything else. Please, try looking at it all from his point of view. Please, for Thomas's sake..
I'm choosing not to discuss the matter with you. I will not answer questions or respond to your comments. There have been other helpful people here and I have a plan in place. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats