Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 08:19 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

I have a 10+ year old tabby that started pooping outside his box over the last two years. We figured out that he has a severe allergy and we are giving him a hydrolyzed died. His poop is completely normal now and he did use his box for several months. We did notice, however, that he would start to poop in new places.. it started in a closet then it became a bathtub... when we closed off those rooms he simply pooped on the carpet in another corner.

But now he's beginning to pee.

Like, this is where I draw the line. I can't have a cat crapping and peeing around the house.

Why is he doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 08:34 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
Cats can be very weird! Our cat Penelope (15 years) will only pee on a bath towel, and we have to change it twice a day. Cat pee really smells bad. She occasionally poops on the living room carpet but they are very hard and dry. She also has Feline herpes and sneezes a lot and usually has a snot bubble on her right nostril. She also doesn't liked to be touched on her nose so we get a wet towel, hold her by the scruff of her neck and wipe her nose. Also, she is a domestic long hair and has stopped grooming herself so we have to cut off the many fur balls. Other then that, she is a great cat!

Old 06-21-2019, 08:38 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I have a 10+ year old tabby that started pooping outside his box over the last two years. We figured out that he has a severe allergy and we are giving him a hydrolyzed died. His poop is completely normal now and he did use his box for several months. We did notice, however, that he would start to poop in new places.. it started in a closet then it became a bathtub... when we closed off those rooms he simply pooped on the carpet in another corner.

But now he's beginning to pee.

Like, this is where I draw the line. I can't have a cat crapping and peeing around the house.

Why is he doing this?
I would take him to the vet for a complete workup first off, to eliminate any other medical issues, or remedy any that are identified. For what it's worth, my first Russian Blue liked to pee on any plastic bags that were on the floor, or certain pieces of antique furniture that I had. I never once considered getting rid of him, but I did go through a LOT of enzyme odor remover.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:46 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I would take him to the vet for a complete workup first off, to eliminate any other medical issues, or remedy any that are identified. For what it's worth, my first Russian Blue liked to pee on any plastic bags that were on the floor, or certain pieces of antique furniture that I had. I never once considered getting rid of him, but I did go through a LOT of enzyme odor remover.
This. Don't take your anger out on the cat....

Old 06-21-2019, 09:00 AM

I will take Thomas in to the vet after I try a few things:

We make our sons scoop the boxes each night and I often scoop them during the day. I can't imagine the smell is bad, but we do use Costco litter and maybe I need to go back to using unscented litter. We switched when we moved last year... I will try unscented litter.

We got those boxes with the whole in the lid. We LOVE those, but I noticed Thomas peed in a plastic tray where we hold shoes. We got those boxes when we moved last year too... If he wants a different shape box I can accommodate for that ... I will look for a pan shaped box.

I am going to close off the bedrooms.

I am going to work harder to not show favoritism and will play with him more. He's a seriously smart cat and I know he knows he's not my favorite. One of my sons likes him a lot and Thomas adores my husband. He's a good cat, but needy. My other cat is very pretty, grey and white, meows like a kitten and is soft like a bunny. It's okay that I like him more, but I really do think Thomas could be upset about it. Or he's got a medical issue going on. Or he's getting old and particular.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:26 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
How many boxes do you have and how many cats? Rule of thumb is one box for each cat plus one more. One of my cats is very particular about a clean box. He's been known to come find me, lead me to his box when he thinks it needs cleaning. Once he peed right in front of it to show his displeasure with boxes that needed cleaning...

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
How many boxes do you have and how many cats? Rule of thumb is one box for each cat plus one more. One of my cats is very particular about a clean box. He's been known to come find me, lead me to his box when he thinks it needs cleaning. Once he peed right in front of it to show his displeasure with boxes that needed cleaning...

Good luck.
Well, now we have three.

We have always had two large boxes. I just switched out one of the drop-in boxes for a pan box and now I will put the drop-in box on the bottom floor (this is where he's been pooping and peeing). We live in a narrow townhome so the only place where I can put the pan box is in the powder room (aka cats' bathroom). A drop-in box on the bottom floor (essentially a hallway) should be okay...

Old 06-21-2019, 09:36 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I will take Thomas in to the vet after I try a few things:

We make our sons scoop the boxes each night and I often scoop them during the day. I can't imagine the smell is bad, but we do use Costco litter and maybe I need to go back to using unscented litter. We switched when we moved last year... I will try unscented litter.

We got those boxes with the whole in the lid. We LOVE those, but I noticed Thomas peed in a plastic tray where we hold shoes. We got those boxes when we moved last year too... If he wants a different shape box I can accommodate for that ... I will look for a pan shaped box.

I am going to close off the bedrooms.

I am going to work harder to not show favoritism and will play with him more. He's a seriously smart cat and I know he knows he's not my favorite. One of my sons likes him a lot and Thomas adores my husband. He's a good cat, but needy. My other cat is very pretty, grey and white, meows like a kitten and is soft like a bunny. It's okay that I like him more, but I really do think Thomas could be upset about it. Or he's got a medical issue going on. Or he's getting old and particular.
You say you are a dog walker/pet sitter. This cat has been eliminating out side the box. You notices changes in locations months ago when you moved AND changed litter to scented. He has apparently not been to the vet but with everything going on you need to try out a couple of things before you will take him to the vet Has his diet concerning his allergies been prescribed by a vet or the internet?

Old 06-21-2019, 10:01 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
I'd like to suggest buying a Sterlite/Rubbermaid container and cutting a square out of one side to give him access. It's possible he needs/wants more space and those containers are larger than most conventional cat litter boxes. Also, like you said in a post above, he may not care for the enclosed space.

Yes, go back to unscented litter. And try plugging in a Feliway diffuser.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You say you are a dog walker/pet sitter. This cat has been eliminating out side the box. You notices changes in locations months ago when you moved AND changed litter to scented. He has apparently not been to the vet but with everything going on you need to try out a couple of things before you will take him to the vet Has his diet concerning his allergies been prescribed by a vet or the internet?
We took him to the vet either March or early April. Vet ran several tests, including fecal, and nothing came up. She prescribed him a hydrolyzed diet for three months, a steroid and probiotic to settle his system. The messy poop just outside the box cleared up nearly immediately. In July we can start to introduce single ingredient foods, one at a time, to figure out the specific allergy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats