Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:50 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times

Advertisements

If you think about it, the cargo hold has to have the same pressure and temps as the cabin (or at least something reasonably close). If you have, say, shaving cream or toothpaste or wine in your luggage in the cargo bin, is that going to fare well at 30,000 feet with frigid cold temps and air pressure a fraction of sea level? Hardly. So in order to make sure people's luggage doesn't get ruined by its contents it has to have some semblance of normal temperatures and air pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 09:00 AM

439 posts, read 423,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Are you moving by yourself? Might be worth it to have a friend/family member fly with the cats and keep them in the cabin? Some airlines do allow two cats per carrier as long as they both fit comfortably, btw.
Just checking in here

This is an option I am considering. The gals at the doggy daycare are young, single, and generally up for an adventure. And they LOVE to make extra cash! They house sit, dog sit, cat sit, etc. for me all the time. I will miss them and my doggy daycare.

This move will not be until summer to fall 2020. I plan well in advance, and if needed, I may just fly them out a week early, plop their unhappy furry butts in a cat daycare in the new city and then drive out.

I have not spoken with my vet yet but any health concerns will take top priority in the decision. I fully plan on discussing drugging Fat Edo like they used to do Mr. T on the A Team if necessary lol. I have spoken with several breeders, rescues, and other knowledgeable folks who have flown an animal cargo (dogs, cats, etc) with good results.

The dogs and I tear around the country all the time, our last trip was Tacoma to Ft. Worth and back with several stops along the way. I am generally well prepared for travel- but the one cat hates any change and if there is no room in the moving truck there is no room. Also, five days as opposed to 7-8 hours of stress.

And I am a SHE.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:03 AM

439 posts, read 423,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually our one moving a cat problem turned out to be on a car move from LA to Las Vegas. Coco Chanel was always a weird cat...gorgeous but mildly nuts. In later life fully nuts.

Arrived at the rental house in late afternoon. Got everyone inside and closed it up not wanting to go on a cat hunt in our new neighborhood. Went to take a shower. The steam set off the smoke alarm. Cats instantly vanished. House was closed up so no problem. One cat reappears a half hour later. Other is still missing at bed time. We figure hiding under a bed and will show up for breakfast in the morning. Come morning no Coco. All hands hunt for a couple of hours. No Coco. Went on a hunt through the neighborhood. No Coco. Next day full scale lost cat. Flyers and find the local agencies and the whole bit. Morning of the third day. Guess who is on the end of the bed when we wake up. Coco. We speculated for days where she was. Our best bet is there was a high pot shelf on the second floor that went into a narrow little space against the roof line. You could see most of it easily but the very last little bit was out of sight. We think she hid up there until thirst or loneliness got her.
Bwahahahhaha!!!!!!!!!!! Go Coco! Sounds like something Fat Edo would pull. Sometimes he turns into a mouse and can fit his chubby fur butt UNDER my dresser when people ring my door bell.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:20 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,134,790 times
I flew with my cat twice. She needs the correct airline forms filled out and proof of vaccinations. Also the correct size carrier.

Airplanes only allow one or two pets per flight, so make sure you have a pet confirmation. Seriously, you can't bring cat to the gate without pre-booking.

No food or water before the flight - like six to twelve hours - check with your vet for what to do.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:54 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
https://abcnews.go.com/US/flying-pet...ry?id=47033512

Rescues don't always have the best information.

The "reason airlines won't let animals fly certain time of the year" doesn't have anything to do with cargo hold conditions.

https://www.pettravel.com/news_pet_t...line_cargo.cfm

Quote:
Avoid booking airline cargo travel for your cat or dog during periods of extreme temperature. Most airlines will not transport pets between mid-May and mid-September or when temperatures exceed 85 degrees F. The danger to your pet is not so much when they are in the air, it is before and during storing, loading and taxiing. This is for the safety of your pet.
That's splitting hairs!

Whatever the reason, it's good advice not to travel with pets in extreme temperatures.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:58 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Q: So Has Anyone Ever Flown Cats?
A. No I usually fly airplanes.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:26 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
That's splitting hairs!

Whatever the reason, it's good advice not to travel with pets in extreme temperatures.
No one said it wasn't.

Speaking of temperatures, driving cross-country is going to involve some stops, and temperatures don't have to be "extreme" for things to heat up in parked car pretty quickly.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-28-2019 at 11:53 AM..

Old 06-28-2019, 01:31 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
I did once with "the fab four" back in the dark ages. It was 1989 when I was leaving San Antonio. I drove from my house with the four in the back seat to my sister's in Tulsa. Then about 2 days later, we got on a plane at Tulsa, flew to Dallas where we changed flights. From there we flew to Omaha-didn't change flights, then to Syracuse. Again didn't change flights. And finally to Albany where my mother picked us up and then it was about an hour & half/2 hour drive to her house. You should have seen the looks at the Albany airport when I had 4 carriers on a trolley-because each of them had to be in their own carrier.

I hated that they had to be in the baggage hold. It was winter and I was nervous about that but I was informed that it was the same temp as the cabin. I took the route that we did because I didn't want them to have to change flights in Chicago. Like I said, it was winter. So, we landed a few times. When we changed flights, I was looking out the window to make sure they got on the plane and let out a sigh of relief when I saw them being loaded. The only problem was one of them got sick-I think it was Brandy. She probably got sick on the first take off. I didn't want to put them all through that but it was the only way if I wanted to keep them in my life.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats