Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2019, 10:32 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times

Advertisements

WARNING: THIS IS A RANT

Umm ok, am getting told over & over that cheap garbage canned food is ok. Cats live 100-200 yrs.. maybe 300yrs dunno.. on Friskies or whatever grocery stores sell. This is ludicrous. Yes, I have no smart phone have an older pickup truck 17 yrs old, etc. Go no vacations or out to dinners (hate that crap anyway & it is waste of $ in my eyes) so.. why not spend on highest quality even tho, I could miser it on me.

Somehow I think buying cat food I can't afford but is better for cats as it is THEIR bio appropriate diet period, ( for our feral outside & our indoor) is far more valued than on myself -- or goodies or smart phones or new cars. Would I like a smart phone? Never had one growing up, & over 50 now, who needs it? Need a new vehicle, sure.

But if the lives of a cat or pet would suffer one iota for ME to have a good time, ahem, it is not right, no? Ok, rant over & delete this mods if you think I'm off deep end but please think of what I said, as am I wrong for this? Somehow I think not as my reward isn't on earth folks re feeding the best cat food I can.

OK, over & out.

Last edited by movintime; 07-20-2019 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 10:58 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,522,078 times
My view is that you do the best you can within your means because so many cats have a terrible life, or none at all. If you need a truck and they have to eat some Friskies, there are certainly worse outcomes they could have had. I think they'll live longer on Friskies than they will in the street. And they'll know if you love them.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,376,135 times
You're giving your pets and outdoor feral's well-being a high priority. No one should be critical of that, because in reality it's none of their business in the first place. I do the same thing within my means and capability, even though some of my family members think I go a bit too far. The point is, I don't care what they think. I'm going to do what I need to do for my cats, and so are you. Don't let the critics get under your skin. You're doing nothing that requires defending yourself.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:07 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,896,457 times
I am a bit confused. We feed our pride what they are willing to eat. Enough experiments here.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:10 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
I wish all cats were fed a raw diet.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:28 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,909,885 times
I can relate to the OP's post. By chance, I was lucky to be born into a family that could provide for me, but for some reason I've never been very materialistic. I don't care about new cars, expensive furniture, or fancy anything, really. What I did care about was my education, my musicianship, my loved ones and my animals.

Easy to say if you've never wanted for anything, I realize. I might feel differently if I had grown up poor. On a couple of occasions I taught in communities where the children were low income, and they did want new cars, nice clothes and beautiful homes. If you grew up in an environment where those were a given, those things might not be such a priority.

Nothing wrong with having your own standards and priorities.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:01 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I can relate to the OP's post. By chance, I was lucky to be born into a family that could provide for me, but for some reason I've never been very materialistic. I don't care about new cars, expensive furniture, or fancy anything, really. What I did care about was my education, my musicianship, my loved ones and my animals.

Easy to say if you've never wanted for anything, I realize. I might feel differently if I had grown up poor. On a couple of occasions I taught in communities where the children were low income, and they did want new cars, nice clothes and beautiful homes. If you grew up in an environment where those were a given, those things might not be such a priority.

Nothing wrong with having your own standards and priorities.

Or maybe not. I grew up poor. Food stamps and medicaid. Charity bin clothes, charity bags of food (usually cans with no labels) and free lunch program at school.

I have always worked at jobs that, while rewarding, pay less than a living wage so have always had to work at least two jobs (usually more), until I finally went civil service 6 years ago. Still barely making a living wage, but I don't work 3 jobs any more, just the one. Too old and tired to do more.

I don't care about most of the things you mentioned either. I do like books, and I require a reliable car and proper footwear. And I refuse to buy second hand clothes, but I wear my clothes for 20 or 30 years before replacing them. Once in a while I do wonder what I would be like, what my life would be like if I hadn't had cats all of it.

If I didn't feed raw I'd have another $200 a month at my disposal. Raw feeding doesn't have to be quite that expensive, but the way I do it, it is. It's just the way it has to be. I can't unknow what I know about the pet food industry. I can't unsee the massive improvements in my cats on a raw diet.

Incidentally movintime: I'm down to my last tub of Rad Cat and you know, my IBD girl has been fed mostly home made now, she doesn't want the Rad Cat at all any more. So I'm giving the last of it to the other cat until it's gone. Then they will both be on the rotation of prey model raw (with egg shell instead of bone) and the two pre-mixes, EZcomplete and Alnutrin. And it's a lot cheaper than feeding Rad Cat actually.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:45 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Or maybe not. I grew up poor. Food stamps and medicaid. Charity bin clothes, charity bags of food (usually cans with no labels) and free lunch program at school.

I have always worked at jobs that, while rewarding, pay less than a living wage so have always had to work at least two jobs (usually more), until I finally went civil service 6 years ago. Still barely making a living wage, but I don't work 3 jobs any more, just the one. Too old and tired to do more.

I don't care about most of the things you mentioned either. I do like books, and I require a reliable car and proper footwear. And I refuse to buy second hand clothes, but I wear my clothes for 20 or 30 years before replacing them. Once in a while I do wonder what I would be like, what my life would be like if I hadn't had cats all of it.

If I didn't feed raw I'd have another $200 a month at my disposal. Raw feeding doesn't have to be quite that expensive, but the way I do it, it is. It's just the way it has to be. I can't unknow what I know about the pet food industry. I can't unsee the massive improvements in my cats on a raw diet.

Incidentally movintime: I'm down to my last tub of Rad Cat and you know, my IBD girl has been fed mostly home made now, she doesn't want the Rad Cat at all any more. So I'm giving the last of it to the other cat until it's gone. Then they will both be on the rotation of prey model raw (with egg shell instead of bone) and the two pre-mixes, EZcomplete and Alnutrin. And it's a lot cheaper than feeding Rad Cat actually.
Didn't I tell you we're ALL moving in w/ you -- so you can have 2 MORE cats to feed & I can watch or lay by the pool (that you don't have either)?! HAHAHAAAAA!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats