Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 11:37 AM

339 posts, read 171,140 times

Advertisements

Sentences for animal cruelty could rise from six month to five years- – Pulla World

Sentences for animal cruelty could rise from six month to five years-0.21-16.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 12:22 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
I was encouraged until I saw it was in the UK. I applaud them and hope those stricter laws get passed over there, but it saddens me that it hasn't happened here in the U.S. yet. I know some jurisdictions have harsher penalties than others, but that doesn't go far enough IMO. Intentional animal abuse/cruelty should be a serious felony everywhere.
I've often said that animal cruelty laws have to be serious if they are going to be taken seriously. What I don't understand is why there is even any debate about it at all in the various state legislatures around the country. Animals lives and treatment in our care needs to be held to a very high standard. Any lawmaker who doesn't agree with that is not someone I want representing me.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:16 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
The laws definitely need to be tougher. It’s ridiculous now.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:22 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Good. They need tougher laws and the existing laws need to be enforced. There is a proven correlation between animal cruelty and other crimes.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:50 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
I'm ALL for that law .... where do I sign up ? !! Can we vote by mail.

(Anyone who mistreats an innocent animal is seriously mentally ill) and should be punished.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:42 PM

339 posts, read 171,140 times
I'm still upset about that killer who beat that cat to death with a baseball bat. I bet he won't get any jail time but he deserves 10 years, no parole. If strict laws were in place it might change behaviour.

It's like the declawing issue; illegal overseas, just fine and dandy here in the US. Bastards.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:18 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalHumanities2020 View Post
I'm still upset about that killer who beat that cat to death with a baseball bat. I bet he won't get any jail time but he deserves 10 years, no parole. If strict laws were in place it might change behaviour.

It's like the declawing issue; illegal overseas, just fine and dandy here in the US. Bastards.
The U.S. is behind some countries when it comes to animal welfare laws and the U.K. has some of the best laws regarding this issue. For example, it's not legal there to crop a dogs tail or ears which is common place here. U.S. continues to allow barbaric practices.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:35 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,582,359 times
I may get bashed for this, but animal cruelty infuriates me. I say, the death penalty.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:26 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfour View Post
I may get bashed for this, but animal cruelty infuriates me. I say, the death penalty.
No bashing from me, though I'm not a big proponent of the death penalty. Having said that, we have to remember that many, if not most, animal abusers & torturers go on to do the same to innocent people. But society can't prevent that because we place a lower value on an animal's life than we do a human's, which in practice means a human has to be harmed or killed before that abuser can be stopped. I'm not saying all animal abuse should be a capital crime, but it certainly warrants much more severe penalties than are current in most places. If someone that maims or kills and animal is locked up for 5, 10, or 15 years, that's the amount of time he won't be abusing another person, child, or animal in his care.

I consider anyone that abuses, tortures, and kills a defenseless animal to have such a severe character flaw that no amount of other redeeming qualities can possibly make up for it.... and society is better off without them.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:03 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
I don't think the death penalty for animal abuse is quite right, though I share the sentiment. Not because of the person but because of the law. Animals are still considered property and billions are killed every day for food. Until that changes, we're stuck with the laws as they are. Also, it would brutalize the people charged with carrying it out.

But the guy who beat that sweet cat to death with a baseball bat? I hope he comes to a bad end, and I'm betting he will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats