Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 02:40 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,212,763 times

Advertisements

Can cats experience a heart attack? I know that cats can have heart problems but I’ve read online some conflicting information about cats having heart attacks. Does anyone on here have any words of confirmation or rebuttal? All answers and insight is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 03:18 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
I don't know why they couldn't. Is your cat having heart problems?

Old 08-02-2019, 06:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
I can tell you everything you never wanted to know about strokes.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:49 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
Yrs I believe they can. We lost a cat who died overnight. She was normal the day before. So I presume it heart attack or stroke.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:52 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
I've never ever heard of a cat going into cardiac arrest. I'm not saying that it's not possible, I've just never heard of it. They mostly suffer from kidney disease because they just don't drink enough water. That's why I give my kitty a little milk every other day, at least it's good for you and it's only 1% and she doesn't know the difference. And she gets the hydration that she needs.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:39 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,212,763 times
I know that one of the most common heart problems for cats is heart worm disease, and I have read over the internet of cats suffering from heart failure. I just think that what few sources of information that are available seem to suggest that myocardial infarctions are rare in cats. It’s not so much that my cat has heart problems, it’s more of the matter of whether cats can suffer from many of the health problems(including heart problems)that humans and other mammals do.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:08 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Of course cats can have heart failure. They have hearts.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:29 AM

9,405 posts, read 11,150,657 times
A friend told me a few weeks ago his niece's cat died of a heart attack while coming out of GA for tooth work.

I consider GA risky, that information was third hand from (presumably) the vet to the niece to her uncle. To me.

Pretty rare, cats usually go out from kidney or cancer issues, that's what the best vet in the world told us.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:42 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
I swear that my Swatcha died of a heart attack but I don't know for certain. I lived in a townhouse and I went upstairs to bed. Usually the cats would follow me up. I heard something downstairs and thought "What did they get into now?" When I looked downstairs, I saw Swatcha in a heap at the foot of the stairs. Swatcha was on his way up and just collapsed. I ran downstairs, picked him up. He started growling a little. I brought him to the couch and by time I got there, he was gone. There was no other explanation for him going like this except a heart attack. He was fine all day long and just like that, he was gone.

Cat

Old 08-03-2019, 08:33 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
My wonderful sweet cat Sophie was healthy and loving , but one day she was not able to walk. I took her to a specialized vet who told me that she would probably not live longer than a week, that she had Saddle Thrombosis" which is a disease of young cats that appears suddenly and for which there is no cure. A clot traveled from her heart to her leg , crippling her.

I decided to leave her there because she promised that they would be able to stabilize her . The next morning , the vet called and said that she had growled at and bitten someone and collapsed and died.

I was devastated. It was so sudden. I still think of her often and wonder if there was something I missed.

saddle thrombus
Feline Aortic Thromboembolism
72 percent of cats with a saddle thrombus have both rear legs affected. The saddle thrombus comes from a larger clot in the left atrium of the heart. ... In fact, 89 percent of cats with a saddle thrombus have heart disease. Heart disease leads to turbulent blood flow which encourages the formation of clots. It is almost always fatal , usually within weeks of its onset.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats